Unfinished Business

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes agree, it is just a silly question they ask. Can we buy this place for less than we sell our home for in a city AND get the business oh and how do we double or triple the occupancy?
I tell our perspectives WEDDINGS, FUNCTIONS. They can have them to their hearts content. I don't, but they sure can!

Yes agree, it is just a silly question they ask. Can we buy this place for less than we sell our home for in a city AND get the business oh and how do we double or triple the occupancy?
I tell our perspectives WEDDINGS, FUNCTIONS. They can have them to their hearts content. I don't, but they sure can!.
Joey Bloggs said:
I tell our perspectives WEDDINGS, FUNCTIONS. They can have them to their hearts content. I don't, but they sure can!
Those things exactly.

Painting our personal space something other than the basic white.
Purchased the paint for OUR bedroom 2 weeks ago - hope to paint soon..
We've been painting our OQ the past couple of weeks. It's tough because we can only do an hour here and an hour there. Next will be wood laminate floors and installing a dishwasher in the kitchen. It's the first thing we've done to the OQ in almost a decade. I can't wait for it to be finished, but it will take some time.
What brand of flooring are you going to use? I want to do prefinished hardwood in my OQ's so it can be refinished down the road. We have laminate in the entryway but I do not think it is a good quality laminate product. Or, it was not installed properly. It makes that hollow clicking sound when we walk on it.
When we redo our living room, we will remove the laminate and put it in a spare room we have. That room now has really nasty carpet, so this will be an upgrade for that room even though I don't like the laminate itself.
Alibi Ike said:
What brand of flooring are you going to use? I want to do prefinished hardwood in my OQ's so it can be refinished down the road. We have laminate in the entryway but I do not think it is a good quality laminate product. Or, it was not installed properly. It makes that hollow clicking sound when we walk on it.
When we redo our living room, we will remove the laminate and put it in a spare room we have. That room now has really nasty carpet, so this will be an upgrade for that room even though I don't like the laminate itself.
We're probably going to use a laminate flooring we found at IKEA. It's lower end, but seems very sturdy. If you go to IKEA, then have this flooring in several different high traffic areas so you can see how it wears with all the thousands of people walking over it. It seems to wear pretty well from what we can tell. We're trying to make our 850 sq ft separate OQs better, but not high end. Anything's better than what it was when we bought it. It was really a dump with old stained berber and very, very old worn out linoleum in the kitchen and bath. We'll probably use ceramic tile in the bathroom.
What motivated us to start this work was that the waterheater flooded the OQs in the late summer and we had to pull out all the carpet and pad (during full houses too!). We've been living on concrete floors with some area rugs. Now that we have time and $ to do the work, it's hunting season here and it's impossible to get any workers to come out! Everything stops in hunting season. LOL What would take a week in city, takes months in the country.
When I was on City Council many, many years ago, we wrote the employee's handbook. During deer season, no more than one person could be on vacation from any one dept at the same time. The first week of deer season, everything (just about everywhere here) would be shut down otherwise. Sudden illnesses happen everywhere!
Bow season started in Oct but it is gun season that starts Thanksgiving week that shuts down everything.

We've been painting our OQ the past couple of weeks. It's tough because we can only do an hour here and an hour there. Next will be wood laminate floors and installing a dishwasher in the kitchen. It's the first thing we've done to the OQ in almost a decade. I can't wait for it to be finished, but it will take some time.
Alibi Ike said:
We're probably going to use a laminate flooring we found at IKEA. It's lower end, but seems very sturdy. If you go to IKEA, then have this flooring in several different high traffic areas so you can see how it wears with all the thousands of people walking over it. It seems to wear pretty well from what we can tell. We're trying to make our 850 sq ft separate OQs better, but not high end. Anything's better than what it was when we bought it. It was really a dump with old stained berber and very, very old worn out linoleum in the kitchen and bath. We'll probably use ceramic tile in the bathroom.
What motivated us to start this work was that the waterheater flooded the OQs in the late summer and we had to pull out all the carpet and pad (during full houses too!). We've been living on concrete floors with some area rugs. Now that we have time and $ to do the work, it's hunting season here and it's impossible to get any workers to come out! Everything stops in hunting season. LOL What would take a week in city, takes months in the country.
When I was on City Council many, many years ago, we wrote the employee's handbook. During deer season, no more than one person could be on vacation from any one dept at the same time. The first week of deer season, everything (just about everywhere here) would be shut down otherwise. Sudden illnesses happen everywhere!
Bow season started in Oct but it is gun season that starts Thanksgiving week that shuts down everything.
Growing up in MI, the first day of gun season was an optional day for going to school. The halls and classes were emmm-pty. I still remember seeing all the cars heading home from the U.P. with deer tied to their roofs. I don't see there here where I live now...I kind of miss it.

Alibi Ike said:
Growing up in MI, the first day of gun season was an optional day for going to school. The halls and classes were emmm-pty. I still remember seeing all the cars heading home from the U.P. with deer tied to their roofs. I don't see there here where I live now...I kind of miss it.
They gave up here. Between teachers & students MIA, school just closes Thanksgiving week.

Alibi Ike said:
They gave up here. Between teachers & students MIA, school just closes Thanksgiving week.
Opening day for us was November 15. Every year. Two weeks for gun. Back to bow season.

Back