Update from Arkie

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting.............were talking about cooked from scratch or frozen prepared......
I get the frozen portioned salmon, catfish, chilean sea bass, etc from Costco........it quickly thaws in warm water.......I think we all use frozen burger patties, or have......French fries that I do in the oven, 20 minutes. Great and no grease...........frozen mixed veggies, also good, cooked eldente, steamed is awesome.....
Marie Calendar pot pies are microwavable.....the box allows for a browned top.........and is tasty.
Sorry Ark..........when this frozen thing first came up......all I was thinking was frozen dinners...you know the ones that come with the hot pudding, or cake.
yeah..........frozen is definitely doable......just make it tasty.

It's interesting.............were talking about cooked from scratch or frozen prepared......
I get the frozen portioned salmon, catfish, chilean sea bass, etc from Costco........it quickly thaws in warm water.......I think we all use frozen burger patties, or have......French fries that I do in the oven, 20 minutes. Great and no grease...........frozen mixed veggies, also good, cooked eldente, steamed is awesome.....
Marie Calendar pot pies are microwavable.....the box allows for a browned top.........and is tasty.
Sorry Ark..........when this frozen thing first came up......all I was thinking was frozen dinners...you know the ones that come with the hot pudding, or cake.
yeah..........frozen is definitely doable......just make it tasty..
One Day said:
French fries that I do in the oven, 20 minutes. Great and no grease.....
Oven french fries and no grease? On that one, you'll have a hard time convincing me! (I'm watching Anthony Bourdain as we "speak". He would never approve of the no grease part.)
One Day said:
........frozen is definitely doable......just make it tasty.
That's my plan! (Tasty plus a nice presentation...which really does work...placebo effect I guess.) But again, I'm not planning to mislead anybody. We'll make it clear that it's not great cuisine. Just hot and decent, available in-house, and with the only glass of wine available in our town. Monopoly is a beautiful word
regular_smile.gif

Dude............market it as home cooking.........geez......it's what we do at home........right?
Now that I am getting my head wrapped around this............there are lots and lots of dinners that are home made that start from frozen and are quick to throw together........a little seasoning ........Mmmmmm........yeah, man...

Dude............market it as home cooking.........geez......it's what we do at home........right?
Now that I am getting my head wrapped around this............there are lots and lots of dinners that are home made that start from frozen and are quick to throw together........a little seasoning ........Mmmmmm........yeah, man....
One Day said:
...market it as home cooking.........geez......it's what we do at home........right?
cheers.gif
Welcome to USA 2010. Yes. I expect some will even take one bite and say, "I know this! It's just like my mother used to make! I haven't tasted Ban_quet this good in years!"
Just kidding. I draw the line at Ban_quet dinners. But yes, it IS hard to beat a Marie Calendar chicken pot pie! Buy it for $4, sell it heated for $8.

yeah..........frozen is definitely doable......just make it tasty..
One Day said:
French fries that I do in the oven, 20 minutes. Great and no grease.....
Oven french fries and no grease? On that one, you'll have a hard time convincing me! (I'm watching Anthony Bourdain as we "speak". He would never approve of the no grease part.)
One Day said:
........frozen is definitely doable......just make it tasty.
That's my plan! (Tasty plus a nice presentation...which really does work...placebo effect I guess.) But again, I'm not planning to mislead anybody. We'll make it clear that it's not great cuisine. Just hot and decent, available in-house, and with the only glass of wine available in our town. Monopoly is a beautiful word
regular_smile.gif

Arkansawyer said:
That's my plan! (Tasty plus a nice presentation...which really does work...placebo effect I guess.)
Don't underestimate the presentation being the delight of the eyes for any nice meal. Nothing placebo about it. Keeping it simple adds elegance.
One set of guests dined at the little historic house next door. They were overweight, and cheap. They felt gypped by paying $10 to sit down at a cloth tablecloth and be served a nice home cooked hot meal when they could go to the KFC boo fay and get all you can eat grease with flies and food held for bacteria to grow in steamer trays and eat off styrofoam plates and trays.
You can't please all the people all the time, make it how you want it to be, and those will appreciate it.

Since we're on track for getting our restaurant license, I've been sampling some frozen products from a nationally known frozen delivery service. I just did a flatiron steak grilled in the George Forman grill and it was really good! It took only 5 minutes to grill medium rare once it was thawed. They also have to die for fillet mignon frozen steaks that I'll probably be doing. I'm also testing out their side dishes. Next week I'll order their frozen salmon fillets and see how they are. There's actually a pop up timer in them so no guess work. I see nothing wrong with offering quality purchased/cooked items.
I want to offer meals in the off season and I don't want to spend all day cooking. Frozen herbed vegetables, no chemicals, no additives, no problems!

Back