Uses for leftover Banana Bread

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make bread pudding out of leftover sweet breads and cake, yummy stuff! Take your basic bread pudding recipe and substitute the sweetbread or cake for the regular bread and substitute the fruits or pudding to match what you are making.
I use canned pumpkin and leftover pumpkin bread or chocolate cake (yummy!)
You could use mashed bananas to go with your banana bread for extra banana flavor...
Applesauce + Applebread
Etc...

I make bread pudding out of leftover sweet breads and cake, yummy stuff! Take your basic bread pudding recipe and substitute the sweetbread or cake for the regular bread and substitute the fruits or pudding to match what you are making.
You could use mashed bananas to go with your banana bread for extra banana flavor...
Applesauce + Applebread
Etc....
That's a nice suggestion. Thanks.

To all the wise ones who suggested freezing the banana bread THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :)
DW couldn't believe that it would be as good (I had a hard time believing it too, but I said, "this many wise ones can't be wrong") So being the science guy that I am, I set up a little double blind taste test comparing fresh to frozen. Amazingly, neither of us could pick which was frozen, and the one that we both thought was slightly better (though marginal) was actually the frozen. Less waste, and less times I have to make the extra slices "disappear".
wink_smile.gif

To all the wise ones who suggested freezing the banana bread THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :)
DW couldn't believe that it would be as good (I had a hard time believing it too, but I said, "this many wise ones can't be wrong") So being the science guy that I am, I set up a little double blind taste test comparing fresh to frozen. Amazingly, neither of us could pick which was frozen, and the one that we both thought was slightly better (though marginal) was actually the frozen. Less waste, and less times I have to make the extra slices "disappear".
wink_smile.gif
Yep works that way with any type, zucchini bread, etc.

wink_smile.gif
I had frozen banana bread as a snack yesterday. I had already sliced it before freezing (I make them in the small loaf pans) and I peeled one off and ate it. Quite refreshing!

wink_smile.gif
catlady said:
I think it is actually better after it has been frozen. MUFFINS are the same way. It adds moisture.
I won an award when I was a kid in a baking contest for zucchini bread. I always remember how nervous I was going into it. I think contests like that are a good thing for kids. Like our other innkeeper whose family won ribbons at the fair.
I might have to force our kids into some sort of contest like that. With kids being told everybody has to feel good about themselves, no losers, no red pen on papers at school anymore...self self self. I might just do that! I was thinking about it and realized they have never "ENTERED" anything like that.
THANKS EVERYONE.

Applesauce + Applebread
Etc....
Hi all, new guy here.
My wife and I do something similar; we make a stuffed french toast using any kind of sweet bread. We use a 3 inch diameter greased, buttered or sprayed ramekin, put down a layer of bread, layer of cream cheese, some chopped fruit (such as peach, strawberry, blueberry, banana) another layer of bread and then add an egg mix to overflow (egg, cream, maple syrup and perhaps cinnamon or nutmeg). Bake 350 for about an hour. Best thing is it can be made up the night before and stored in the frig.

wink_smile.gif
catlady said:
I think it is actually better after it has been frozen. MUFFINS are the same way. It adds moisture.
I won an award when I was a kid in a baking contest for zucchini bread. I always remember how nervous I was going into it. I think contests like that are a good thing for kids. Like our other innkeeper whose family won ribbons at the fair.
I might have to force our kids into some sort of contest like that. With kids being told everybody has to feel good about themselves, no losers, no red pen on papers at school anymore...self self self. I might just do that! I was thinking about it and realized they have never "ENTERED" anything like that.
THANKS EVERYONE.
Oh, it is too late to join 4-H now...fair season is already here. BUT...you and your children can always enter in the OPEN class section of the FAIR. You can do baking, creative arts kinds of things etc. Check with your local Extension office or the County Fair Board office. They will have a book with all the classes you can enter. They may even have it on line. I can't remember your county or I would look mysefl:)

Applesauce + Applebread
Etc....
Hi all, new guy here.
My wife and I do something similar; we make a stuffed french toast using any kind of sweet bread. We use a 3 inch diameter greased, buttered or sprayed ramekin, put down a layer of bread, layer of cream cheese, some chopped fruit (such as peach, strawberry, blueberry, banana) another layer of bread and then add an egg mix to overflow (egg, cream, maple syrup and perhaps cinnamon or nutmeg). Bake 350 for about an hour. Best thing is it can be made up the night before and stored in the frig.
Hi new guy! I like the way this is put together in a single serve ramekin! How well, if at all, does it hold in the oven? Say they're all ready to serve at 8 and no one comes to eat until 9? Or do you do a single seating?

Applesauce + Applebread
Etc....
Hi all, new guy here.
Hi new guy! I like the way this is put together in a single serve ramekin! How well, if at all, does it hold in the oven? Say they're all ready to serve at 8 and no one comes to eat until 9? Or do you do a single seating?
It holds up pretty well. We have breakfast scheduled for 8:30-9:30 and have the dish ready to serve by about 8:45. At that point, the toast has expanded a bit (just slightly); holding in a warming oven causes it to drop back to original height but with little or no loss in texture or taste. To keep from drying out, cover with foil. Even if it drys a little, we always served drizzled with maple syrup with more syrup on the side.
Makes it great for those that come in around 9:29.
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com

Applesauce + Applebread
Etc....
Hi all, new guy here.
It holds up pretty well. We have breakfast scheduled for 8:30-9:30 and have the dish ready to serve by about 8:45. At that point, the toast has expanded a bit (just slightly); holding in a warming oven causes it to drop back to original height but with little or no loss in texture or taste. To keep from drying out, cover with foil. Even if it drys a little, we always served drizzled with maple syrup with more syrup on the side.
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com
Welcome, CCC!
Can you post this as a recipe in the recipe section? Thanks!! Sounds yummy
tounge_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Less waste is why I like baking it in the mini pans, too. Seashanty's banana bread recipe rises so nicely that one mini pan will actually serve 2 people. I had to bake it a regular pan when my large oven was on the fritz & the larger slices (even halved) didn't get eaten as much. Go figure...
I wrap 2 mini loaves in plastic wrap & then place them in a quart zip lock for freezing. The frozen loaves warm nicely in my microwave which has a frozen bread setting. They do seem to be even more moist after freezing.

Applesauce + Applebread
Etc....
Hi all, new guy here.
A few more details; cook cover with foil for all but the last 15 minutes then uncover to brown, be sure to spray foil so it doesn't stick. Dish can be served in the ramekin (my wife doesn't like this 'cause the ramekin can be pretty hot). We usually rim with a knife and slide out and put on plate, with a little practice, this is easy.
CCC

Applesauce + Applebread
Etc....
Hi all, new guy here.
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com
Welcome, CCC!
Can you post this as a recipe in the recipe section? Thanks!! Sounds yummy
tounge_smile.gif

Good idea, I'll post in the recipes.
Thanks for the welcome folks, been haunting these pages for a few weeks and finally signed up last night.

Applesauce + Applebread
Etc....
Hi all, new guy here.
A few more details; cook cover with foil for all but the last 15 minutes then uncover to brown, be sure to spray foil so it doesn't stick. Dish can be served in the ramekin (my wife doesn't like this 'cause the ramekin can be pretty hot). We usually rim with a knife and slide out and put on plate, with a little practice, this is easy.
CCC
Cape Cod Curmudgeon said:
CCC
You made me go and look it up! So put that down as yourself being an educator today. I had heard the word, read the word, but forgot what it meant. Perhaps I had heard it used toward me!
–noun a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person.

Applesauce + Applebread
Etc....
Hi all, new guy here.
CCC
CCC
You made me go and look it up! So put that down as yourself being an educator today. I had heard the word, read the word, but forgot what it meant. Perhaps I had heard it used toward me!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
CCC
I always think of a curmudgeon as someone old enough not to care what other people think about what they say. And, yes, it has been used about you.
wink_smile.gif

Back