Valentines Day specials

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen birthday cards from -each other- where one tossed it in the bin when they left and I felt for the "other".
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I have seen birthday cards from -each other- where one tossed it in the bin when they left and I felt for the "other"
It's like that here. (And I mean my HOUSE.) The cards come in for hubs, I put them on the 'card' table and once MY b'day rolls around, I toss hubs' cards in the trash. HE never looks at them once he's opened the envelope and taken them out. They just lay around the house wherever he puts them down until I display them. Why I display them, I don't know. Probably because I know someone has gone to the effort of buying him the card and sending it out. No, wait, the real reason is that it is MY family alone that sends him the cards. Yeesh. My mom sends a card and there's a card from my brother's kids (to: uncle). And one from me and one from the dog. (And I used to do one from the cat, too, when we had a cat.)
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I have seen birthday cards from -each other- where one tossed it in the bin when they left and I felt for the "other"
It's like that here. (And I mean my HOUSE.) The cards come in for hubs, I put them on the 'card' table and once MY b'day rolls around, I toss hubs' cards in the trash. HE never looks at them once he's opened the envelope and taken them out. They just lay around the house wherever he puts them down until I display them. Why I display them, I don't know. Probably because I know someone has gone to the effort of buying him the card and sending it out. No, wait, the real reason is that it is MY family alone that sends him the cards. Yeesh. My mom sends a card and there's a card from my brother's kids (to: uncle). And one from me and one from the dog. (And I used to do one from the cat, too, when we had a cat.)
At home is a diff story. I hate emptying the bins and finding a "to my darling" card thrown away, it just isn't right! (Do it in secret if you have to!)

I have seen birthday cards from -each other- where one tossed it in the bin when they left and I felt for the "other".
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
At home is a diff story. I hate emptying the bins and finding a "to my darling" card thrown away, it just isn't right! (Do it in secret if you have to!)
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
They DID do it in secret! They can claim, 'Oh, no, I left it at the B&B!' Better than pitching it into the trash at home. Then again, you know if they tossed it at your house, they do the same at home. Some people are just like that. Cards don't mean anything to them. Getting them, yes; keeping them, no.
Funny thing is I thought my son was one of them. Then, after he moved out, I found piles of b'day and Christmas cards going back to when he was very small. He saved all of them.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
They DID do it in secret! They can claim, 'Oh, no, I left it at the B&B!' Better than pitching it into the trash at home. Then again, you know if they tossed it at your house, they do the same at home. Some people are just like that. Cards don't mean anything to them. Getting them, yes; keeping them, no.
Funny thing is I thought my son was one of them. Then, after he moved out, I found piles of b'day and Christmas cards going back to when he was very small. He saved all of them.
I save all mine. I have the last birthday card I got from my Ga-Ga. I know I have too many in my collection but haven't made myself go through them.

bottom line for me ... if you want to give something extra, do something extra, do it because it makes you happy. last time i put a little birthday cake in a guest room because i was told it was a birthday. two nite stay ... this was mentioned at breakfast (which was waffles by the way with fruit and whipped cream which they ATE with lots of maple syrup) so that afternoon, i put a darling little cake with flowers on it and happy birthday in swirly letters, little plates and forks and napkins ... all on a tray on a table in their room with a flameless candle. next day, i see that the cake was dumped unceremoniously in the guestroom trash and the wife told me 'we don't eat sweets' ...
sad_smile.gif
... maybe the other guests would have enjoyed a little of that cake?.
My feelings would be hurt.
I don't understand people like that. I really don't. To me that is very inconsiderate. If I didn't eat cake I would tell you that it was such a nice thought but we don't eat sweets and could we let someone else enjoy it? Jeez.
About cards... I used to save all of them and now I just save the ones that have special notes or something. I'm trying to de-clutter my life.
regular_smile.gif

Here it is the stress is over:
Valentine's Month Special - $10 Gift Certificate to our fantastic Blue Heron Restaurant with any two night stay in February!.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Valentine's Month Special - $10 Gift Certificate to our fantastic Blue Heron Restaurant with any two night stay in February!
Yeesh. THAT was easy! Why am I stressing???
I include a box of our locally-made chocolates with a two-night stay over the holiday week. Maybe this year I'll expand it through February.
muirford said:
I include a box of our locally-made chocolates with a two-night stay over the holiday week. Maybe this year I'll expand it through February.
Fine homemade chocolates never go astray.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
Would it be better for the homemade chocolates to be "local" or would any homemade ones be okay? I am really thinking of people's perception on the chocolate. "Oh, you charged me $x.xx for chocolate and their not even from around here". Or do they just eat it and forget it ;)

Valentine's Month Special - $10 Gift Certificate to our fantastic Blue Heron Restaurant with any two night stay in February!.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Valentine's Month Special - $10 Gift Certificate to our fantastic Blue Heron Restaurant with any two night stay in February!
muirford said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
Would it be better for the homemade chocolates to be "local" or would any homemade ones be okay? I am really thinking of people's perception on the chocolate. "Oh, you charged me $x.xx for chocolate and their not even from around here". Or do they just eat it and forget it ;)
penelope said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
Usually, when someone says they 'include' something, it's at no additional cost to the guest.
However, when I have a 'package' that includes chocolates, I get them locally. Some think getting them from Lindt is ok because they have a store in town. I prefer to actually buy the stuff that's made here.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
Usually, when someone says they 'include' something, it's at no additional cost to the guest.
However, when I have a 'package' that includes chocolates, I get them locally. Some think getting them from Lindt is ok because they have a store in town. I prefer to actually buy the stuff that's made here.
However, when I have a 'package' that includes chocolates, I get them locally.
That's the problem...we don't have any local high-end chocolate makers. Now, there are a few big name chocolate made around here: Anthony Thomas, Ester Price... those kind, but they are just within the state, not local. Unfortunately, we don't have Black Dinah Chocolatiers or Island Chocolates around here.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
Sorry, posted twice

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
That's the problem...we don't have any local high-end chocolate makers. Now, there are a few big name chocolate made around here: Anthony Thomas, Ester Price... those kind, but they are just within the state, not local. Unfortunately, we don't have Black Dinah Chocolatiers or Island Chocolates around here.
I'm like Bree, I just prefer to get the chocolates locally. For my bedside chocolates I just use Ghiradelli's, so I'm not wed to only buying local, but if it makes sense and I can do it, I will. Before I really knew about the local chocolates - they are made in a nearby town but not right in my town - I just used nice-quality store brands. I know a lot of innkeepers who use chocolate-dipped strawberries and make their own.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
OK, in that case, where do most of the guests come from? In the area or from away? If they're mostly locals (and by 'local' I mean either your state or region), then get something 'exotic' that's not to be found on the shelves of Costco. (You can still order chocs online and get discounts.) What you don't want, is like you said, the guest walks in and says, 'Oh, this, this was on sale at Linens & Things for a buck, I bought 5 of them myself.'
If it's just an in room chocolate or turn-down thing, it doesn't matter if you got it 3/$1 somewhere (as long as it tastes good!). If it's part of a giveaway or package, you want it to be special. Even if you can't say 'locally made' you can still say it's something special if it's not found on every street corner. And, if you're going to order online or by phone, make sure they know you're a business and that you are placing these chocs in the hands of guests. Get a discount!

Some of us have no choice. We don't have local chocolates.
If there was something in this state I would have to physically pursue purchasing it for that package - either buy them ahead and spend the $ keeping them in stock and possibly letting them go white-ie, stale. Or I would have to move it move it when someone booked the package. There are plenty of fine chocolates that people have never had.
There is a artsy line of gourmet handmade chocolates, each one unique that I have used. I doubt, anyone has ever had them? Has anyone here ever had them? I don't go out and buy boxes of chocolates for myself. See's which are not east coast, are all I have ever really had, and of course Seattle Chocolates, but I use them in each room typically.
I would opt for local if there was that choice tho.
regular_smile.gif
They would probably be deep fried. Oh wait, those are Krispy Kremes. (Invented not too far from us, an hour and half) LOL!

Some of us have no choice. We don't have local chocolates.
If there was something in this state I would have to physically pursue purchasing it for that package - either buy them ahead and spend the $ keeping them in stock and possibly letting them go white-ie, stale. Or I would have to move it move it when someone booked the package. There are plenty of fine chocolates that people have never had.
There is a artsy line of gourmet handmade chocolates, each one unique that I have used. I doubt, anyone has ever had them? Has anyone here ever had them? I don't go out and buy boxes of chocolates for myself. See's which are not east coast, are all I have ever really had, and of course Seattle Chocolates, but I use them in each room typically.
I would opt for local if there was that choice tho.
regular_smile.gif
They would probably be deep fried. Oh wait, those are Krispy Kremes. (Invented not too far from us, an hour and half) LOL!.
There is a WONDERFUL truffle place in LExington. LINK HERE . The choc. truffles are to die for!!!! We had some at a conference as favors. They are expensive..but really worth it.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
Are you talking about for in the rooms, or for a special package?
=)
Kk.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
penelope said:
=)
Kk.
We started off talking about chocolates for packages. Digressed to the price of chocolates and not wanting someone to think the chocolates weren't 'good enough' for the price they paid. And from there were also discussing what chocolates we put in the rooms or just out for guests in general.
Mostly, tho, it's chocolates for packages, where you really want to splurge a bit above the ordinary.

You thought I was kidding about the deep frying, here is our brand new drive in theater. Check out concession menu.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
You thought I was kidding about the deep frying, here is our brand new drive in theater. Check out concession menu
My daughter worked at an 'orphanage' in Charlotte. She called one January to tell me (in VT) she was eating lunch outside at the picnic table (obnoxious child) and said she was amazed that every single item on the children's menu for lunch was fried. "Everything, mother, they fry EVERYTHING! Even the veggies are fried! I'm dying here, mother. Give me a salad, puhleeeze!"

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
penelope said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
I'm like Bree, I just prefer to get the chocolates locally. For my bedside chocolates I just use Ghiradelli's, so I'm not wed to only buying local, but if it makes sense and I can do it, I will. Before I really knew about the local chocolates - they are made in a nearby town but not right in my town - I just used nice-quality store brands. I know a lot of innkeepers who use chocolate-dipped strawberries and make their own.
The truffles in our local "general store" that has tons of sweets are made in TEXAS! I'm not in TX by a long shot. Their fudge is pretty good but I just made a batch, and mine is better :)
chef.gif

Back