Venting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Reaction score
Well we just had thee biggest flood. It hit all 4 floors. It was caused by a american stander toilet that was sent to mexico for kilning and fired. It just cracked open . You might as guessed while we were away going for a lovely long lunch. I walked into house and went to go down the hallway. Hit wet soaking wall to wall carpeting. It was at that point I was running around to find out where the water was coming from. Stepped into the first room bam! there it was the tank was filling up to the crack then spilling out the floor was all water. Shut off the water supply and yelled for shop vac.
Went down to next level and it was coming out of the wall in one of the suites then ran down next level it had the floors covered with water . the ceiling had a big budge ceiling then it let go and spilled out water and more water. all over the B&B stuff and our leather couch tables and lamps . What a bloody mess. We had one more level to go down 38 steps later we arrived into the next suite. It was coming out of the ceiling put a pail under it and came back up to front level and started to phone company's and sop up as much water we could went next door to neighbour . got his vac. Two of us(hubby and I working like crazy taking things out of rooms and the other vacuuming up water.
Then a knock came to the door it was restorations coming to the rescue us. They sent up up to top level of house while the mopped and sucked up water.
Now we are at the dry up stage. This will take 2 weeks We might have to leave our house . they said today it will be some time in Sept before we will be all finished. We had guest for our long weekend in Sept. had to find a place for them we have 2 others to find a place for then one is a 3 night stay the other is most of a week..this will be in Sept. the first week so maybe we will be in operating ??? I donot believe that will be the case. hubby is hopefully. I just don't believe it will be done by then.
. With hubby just had surgery he cannot pick up any thing heaver the 10 Lbs. this is so hard on him. This has certainly stopped our plans on selling house in the oct to nov time frame . Oh maybe next year things will be different.
Then hubby went down to next level and all the walls were bulging with water to

Water - there is nothing like it for destruction - our neighbour with a beautiful place (B&B) was on holiday and the property next door started getting lots of water in the basement, they figured out about 2 days later it was coming through the wall from next door and got the other neighbour with the key and shut off the stop cock (main water supply) tap had come off on the top landing and it was all though 3 floors of the house.

You are living our worst nightmare! Only once have we been surprised finding a soggy mess of ceiling plaster on the floor from a plumbing leak above. Once was enough!! and that was only one room. We feel for you. Try to remember "This too shall pass."
Sending warm hugs and encouragement. Hang in there!
broken_heart.gif

Oh no! I am so sorry! Will your homeowner's insurance cover this?
Can you stay there during all this? Do you have a place to stay? You may be too far away from me to help with that ... but do you need 'things'?
heart.gif

Also total Arse when trying to sell but at least you can tell buyers that its all newly renovated

I'm so sorry! I don't know what to say….. Thinking and praying for you.

Sorry you are having to face this disaster, let it make you stronger and not bitter, lousy things happen to nice people. Shortly after we came to the motel one of our houses down home was flooded, lost the chance to rent it that year. The next summer just as we were putting the finishing touches on the property, flood again soaked two houses, about 3 feet of water on one of them, took a while, but eventually we recovered. Hope all goes well with you.

Oh, just horrible! I feel for you!!!!
Hopefully your insurance will cover all your damage and you will come out better and improved. Please keep us posted
heart.gif

I am just sick for you. Sorry doesn't make it better, but know that we're all thinking of you and hoping for the best. Is there anything that we can do?

Water - there is nothing like it for destruction - our neighbour with a beautiful place (B&B) was on holiday and the property next door started getting lots of water in the basement, they figured out about 2 days later it was coming through the wall from next door and got the other neighbour with the key and shut off the stop cock (main water supply) tap had come off on the top landing and it was all though 3 floors of the house..
Thank You all for the well wishes my cyber friends. You all are the best!
We have a 2 week waiting time to see what the cost will be. All paper pertaining to flood have to be sent to Toronto, Ontario. Then they will get a hold of the men here in a few weeks, then we will find out what is covered for sure. We lost some art work furniture we are not sure how much will be fixed. It is all in the drying room at there place of business. That is all we know for now.
Walls have been torn apart in some rooms in others only half the wall is gone.all the carpet in hallway 2 bedrooms and office and 8 steps plus guest suite carpet and one wall have been torn apart.
Carpets are dried not sure if insurance will replace or just try and clean them up. May just be trying to get rid of the stains from the water.
. About 15 books are water soaked . Thank goodness for small blessing we have replacement insurance plus we took out extra insurance on business loss of income.Not sure where that will end up as this time last year we closed shop because I had been told I had the big C. so income can only be what we did this time last year. Which was bad as we had closed.
So I guess it is a wait and see effort. Hopefully in 2 weeks we will know more.
I just needed to tell somebody. As I lost my best friend of 38 years in Feb of this year and she was like a sister to me. I used to tell her every thing. So cyber friends I just had to vent . This dealing with insurance company is a pain in the backside.
Again thank you all.
heart.gif
heart.gif

Know first hand how much work cleaning up flooding can be - hang in there and best of luck with your insurance company...

What a disaster! Hope the cleanup goes faster than they think. I am so sorry..... Thoughts are with you.❤️

ah, Flower ... we all care about you. We are your friends. I am sorry about your loss. This is the venting place! And it is also helpful to others to hear of this challenge. I hope insurance will be of some help. I asked about it because we had burst pipes here in winter and there was some additional coverage in an obscure rider on the policy for artwork. Sadly, there had been no appraisal in years. Also ... silver ... actual antique silver flatware was in an old suitcase that got soaked. Someone tossed it in a dumpster without looking inside. It was months before I even thought about it. Long gone. That is a just a cautionary tale for anyone helping with cleaning out.
Hoping for the best for you.
heart.gif

Back