Virtual Assistant

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you consider using a VA

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jackalopevas

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just joined the forum. I hope to open up my own Inn or b&b one day and have worked in hospitality for the last 8 years. However I am currently looking to offer my services as a virtual assistant for some extra cash, so I am curious.. Are there many innkeepers or b&b owners that would be interested in outsourcing some of the administrative work such as customer relations, email management, data entry, etc.
I look forward to any and all feedback from the community. Thank you in advance! 😊

Jackson

No, I don't need a virtual assistant. I like to personally know and deal with my guests, and it's only a few minutes/day.

I have 3 rooms and am quite able to take care of my emails, accounting, reservations, etc. as well and the other things I am involved in (which is quite a lot) and I am not even organized. it just all seems to get done. I need to be on top of everything or will be in DEEP doo-doo. My VA died almost 4 years ago - and I am on top of everything including what I allowed him to tend to (family finances).

Hello everyone,

I just joined the forum. I hope to open up my own Inn or b&b one day and have worked in hospitality for the last 8 years. However I am currently looking to offer my services as a virtual assistant for some extra cash, so I am curious.. Are there many innkeepers or b&b owners that would be interested in outsourcing some of the administrative work such as customer relations, email management, data entry, etc.
I look forward to any and all feedback from the community. Thank you in advance! 😊

Jackson

Outsourcing work sounds like a favorable idea, problem is, I can't very well send out a bed to make or a tub to scrub, the everyday physical jobs that become tiresome. Customer relations, that social connection that makes each of us unique, is the fun part of the business. That connection is the reason to get up each morning. Catching up on email, visiting friends here on the forum, that's my 5AM job as I sit in PJ's and drink my morning coffee. These are the jobs that keep my mind active.

The short answer is ‘no.’

The long answer is that the things you propose to take over would take more time for me to accomplish because you’d have to ask me how to answer the emails, I’d have to prepare the data to send to you to enter it, etc.

In a similar vein, we get a lot of job requests near the end of the school year when hospitality majors are looking for summer internships in their field. I’m constantly amazed that all they have learned about the business so far is flower arranging and how to host a wine tasting. IE—the fun stuff. No one has learned the things that Jim is looking for assistance with: cleaning. Cleaning takes time and is basically drudge work that the innkeeper does because it has to be done. We prefer to keep the fun tasks to ourselves and pass along the drudge work.

We are a small B&B with 4 guest rooms and a guest house. I need that contact with our guests to establish a relationship, to gather information to meet their needs, and provide personal service. A VA would be a hindrance and an encumbrance to me.

You may want to consider interning or working with an Innsitting business... It would give you the additional experience to your past hospitality work to get a better feel if owning a bed and breakfast is for you. I have thought about getting a VA but like the other posts, all of our admin work is required to be done here at the Inn - and that's one of my skill sets. All the best to you!

Thank you everyone for the input, it is much appreciated. If anyone else has input on the topic keep it coming! In the meantime if anyone could offer me an internship to do any admin tasks, social media management or graphic design I would also appreciate that as it would help me build my portfolio.

Thank you everyone for the input, it is much appreciated. If anyone else has input on the topic keep it coming! In the meantime if anyone could offer me an internship to do any admin tasks, social media management or graphic design I would also appreciate that as it would help me build my portfolio.

We do not need an intern but would be willing to speak with you about what it takes to manage the administrative tasks of running and promoting an Inn and let you try your hand at doing a few promotions.

Back