"We Think You’re Stupid and Other Confessions of a B&B Owner"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been on the forum 5 years. I can't recall anything said that would cast our industry in a bad light or suggest anything less than forum members' sincere hospitality offered to genuine guests. Our tales are human stories. Yes, there are guests that drive us nuts on occasion, yes there are guests that are short on common sense or short on basic manners. We try to deal with them, but we are more peers than servants (no matter how early we rise to cook their breakfast or how hard we work to keep everything clean), so if someone is out of line, we will call it..
Tom said:
I have been on the forum 5 years. I can't recall anything said that would cast our industry in a bad light or suggest anything less than forum members' sincere hospitality offered to genuine guests. Our tales are human stories. Yes, there are guests that drive us nuts on occasion, yes there are guests that are short on common sense or short on basic manners. We try to deal with them, but we are more peers than servants (no matter how early we rise to cook their breakfast or how hard we work to keep everything clean), so if someone is out of line, we will call it.
Well then you haven't been reading it that closely. Someone called a guest stupid here just last week.
Complaining about coffee issues, complaining about not being able to park, complaining about early check ins, complaining about them not knowing how to read, googling them, complaining about dietary issues, complaining about asking for something after hours. It is all real stuff, of course, but when you read it in bulk it sounds like a pack of griping. No one knows how hard we work. No one knows how we do this day in and day out from dusk to beyond dawn.

I have been on the forum 5 years. I can't recall anything said that would cast our industry in a bad light or suggest anything less than forum members' sincere hospitality offered to genuine guests. Our tales are human stories. Yes, there are guests that drive us nuts on occasion, yes there are guests that are short on common sense or short on basic manners. We try to deal with them, but we are more peers than servants (no matter how early we rise to cook their breakfast or how hard we work to keep everything clean), so if someone is out of line, we will call it..
Tom said:
I have been on the forum 5 years. I can't recall anything said that would cast our industry in a bad light or suggest anything less than forum members' sincere hospitality offered to genuine guests. Our tales are human stories. Yes, there are guests that drive us nuts on occasion, yes there are guests that are short on common sense or short on basic manners. We try to deal with them, but we are more peers than servants (no matter how early we rise to cook their breakfast or how hard we work to keep everything clean), so if someone is out of line, we will call it.
Well then you haven't been reading it that closely. Someone called a guest stupid here just last week.
Complaining about coffee issues, complaining about not being able to park, complaining about early check ins, complaining about them not knowing how to read, googling them, complaining about dietary issues, complaining about asking for something after hours. It is all real stuff, of course, but when you read it in bulk it sounds like a pack of griping. No one knows how hard we work. No one knows how we do this day in and day out from dusk to beyond dawn.
Joey Bloggs said:
No one knows how hard we work. No one knows how we do this day in and day out from dusk to beyond dawn.
...........Seven days a week from Easter to the end of October.

Tom said:
Joey Bloggs said:
No one knows how hard we work. No one knows how we do this day in and day out from dusk to beyond dawn.
Highlands John said:
Joey Bloggs said:
.... without a day off and with no time to "call in" sick.

Tom said:
Joey Bloggs said:
that means a much deserved break must be just around the corner. Yeah.

Our primary busy season here is July through October. I call it the four-month work week.

Tom said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Highlands John said:
Joey Bloggs said:
In the past two months we've crashed the car, lost DH's sister and I've been in hospital for an eye op, and yet through all that the guests knew nothing about what was going on except 1 day where we had a friend look after the place whilst we were at the funeral.

As I am typing this we have:
Who's online
There are currently 4 users and 42 guests online.
Online users
Joey Bloggs
Highlands John
Madeleine
TheBeachHouse.
Joey Bloggs said:
As I am typing this we have:
Who's online
There are currently 4 users and 42 guests online.
Online users
Joey Bloggs
Highlands John
Madeleine
TheBeachHouse
A lot of those 42 'guests' are signed in members who have not updated in a few hours. As soon as they log off or refresh they'll show up as users. They're not necessarily lurkers.
Spot on. Just opened my browser and saw this thread and I'm not listed online.
But my two cents: not everything on the internet is the gospel truth for ANYTHING. Just because someone has published something on line, be it on a blog, web page or even a comment, should be always taken with a grain of salt. Anyone with a brain in their head can think for themselves (hopefully) and not believe that everything is the gospel truth. Even digital editions of newspapers retract their stories from time to time because of erroneous information. And I agree, an innkeeper has to genuinely love people and be a hard worker because, I don't know about you, but I don't see me becoming wealthy or selling any shares in my place any time soon!
2cat_lady said:
But my two cents: not everything on the internet is the gospel truth for ANYTHING. Just because someone has published something on line, be it on a blog, web page or even a comment, should be always taken with a grain of salt. Anyone with a brain in their head can think for themselves (hopefully) and not believe that everything is the gospel truth. Even digital editions of newspapers retract their stories from time to time because of erroneous information. And I agree, an innkeeper has to genuinely love people and be a hard worker because, I don't know about you, but I don't see me becoming wealthy or selling any shares in my place any time soon!
Absolutely.
No doubt about it.
But you are smarter than the average bear 2cat_lady. Many people DO believe everything what they read. Go to the comments and read them and see for yourself if you think they are smarter than that.
But that is the current state of affairs, unfortunately. 90% of all things written online about bed and breakfasts is negative.
Joey Bloggs said:
[
But that is the current state of affairs, unfortunately. 90% of all things written online about bed and breakfasts is negative.
Could it be because we are raising NED about Air? Could they be retaliating?

Haters will hate and find ways to vent. The writer doesn't like 'us', so what! That is what hotels are for. Glad (s)he are weeding out some others for us.
There are articles and blogs about the horrible hotel industry which have been mentioned on this forum in the past. Do we complain about them? No we are saying 'that is a reason to stay at a B&B'
It is what it is. Today anyone can write trash and call it journalism whether it be truth, lies or fairy tales, so it is the reader that has to determine whether it is garbage, factual or a mixture.

Haters will hate and find ways to vent. The writer doesn't like 'us', so what! That is what hotels are for. Glad (s)he are weeding out some others for us.
There are articles and blogs about the horrible hotel industry which have been mentioned on this forum in the past. Do we complain about them? No we are saying 'that is a reason to stay at a B&B'
It is what it is. Today anyone can write trash and call it journalism whether it be truth, lies or fairy tales, so it is the reader that has to determine whether it is garbage, factual or a mixture..
Well said! There are bigger fish to fry.

Yowza! Once again it's like the blogger is really trying to present innkeepers in a harsh light. Good advice from JB to rein in the extreme complaints here on the forum. Stuff last forever out there in the ether world...

Yowza! Once again it's like the blogger is really trying to present innkeepers in a harsh light. Good advice from JB to rein in the extreme complaints here on the forum. Stuff last forever out there in the ether world....
Samster said:
...it's like the blogger is really trying to present innkeepers in a harsh light...
The blogger is saying whatever it takes to get more readers. Sensationalism sells.

Yowza! Once again it's like the blogger is really trying to present innkeepers in a harsh light. Good advice from JB to rein in the extreme complaints here on the forum. Stuff last forever out there in the ether world....
Samster said:
...it's like the blogger is really trying to present innkeepers in a harsh light...
The blogger is saying whatever it takes to get more readers. Sensationalism sells.
It's called click-bait. They get paid from advertisers on their page, not because they write sensationalist nonsense.

And as click-bait, the only people who click are those who already agree with the POV of the author, or they are trolls who want to write even more outrageous comments. These articles are not worth our energy, really, and I don't think they are worth censoring ourselves over. Now, when Bon Appetit or the Washington Post or the Huffington Post write articles - we should pay attention. Just my two cents.

Next Article...
We Think You’re Stupid and Other Confessions of a Yahoo Journalist
We think you will accept anything that we write as being the truth, even though we don't really have any sources because we have made up the source and are calling them by the character names of Newhart.
We think you will accept generalizations about all innkeepers because you are stupid.
We think you are so stupid that we write this articles as click-bait so that you will give us traffic so we can show more advertisements. It's why we write the articles in the first place.
We write for the ads because otherwise no one even notices Yahoo anymore. We've been beaten by Google and Bing and we don't want to lose our jobs. Maybe AOL will want us now?
Anyone else want to add?.
thumbs_up.gif
times 10

And as click-bait, the only people who click are those who already agree with the POV of the author, or they are trolls who want to write even more outrageous comments. These articles are not worth our energy, really, and I don't think they are worth censoring ourselves over. Now, when Bon Appetit or the Washington Post or the Huffington Post write articles - we should pay attention. Just my two cents..
muirford said:
And as click-bait, the only people who click are those who already agree with the POV of the author, or they are trolls who want to write even more outrageous comments. These articles are not worth our energy, really, and I don't think they are worth censoring ourselves over. Now, when Bon Appetit or the Washington Post or the Huffington Post write articles - we should pay attention. Just my two cents.
No not censoring as much as limit the complaining. I cringe when I read an innkeeper who is really upset and saying something they shouldn't on a public forum, they may regret it later on. That is what I meant. Calling a guest an idiot may be a bad move looking back on it. Definitely don't stop sharing, hugging and crying. That is what this forum is all about.
Carry on... :)

It's not just B&Bs, and they just lie about the authors - Jeeves, really?!?
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/cat-groomers-and-kentucky-fried-chicken-hotel-guests-100241970877.html
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/confessions-of-a-divemaster-why-your-scuba-instructor-97168808167.html
The B&B posts get more comments, thus in all probability generating more Yahoo travel posts of the same ilk. I would suggest that this forum would be better served by ignoring those columns - not clicking on them, not sharing them and definitely not commenting on them. I vow to mend my ways immediately in that regards, even though it's like trying not to look at a traffic accident.
What if one of our talented writers wrote the opposite column - Confessions of an Innkeeper Loving Her Life? By Lorelei Gilmore, perhaps? Send it off to Yahoo and see if they run it. I doubt it. The articles HuffPo runs about B&Bs are almost always positive, and they're a much more credible source.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/cat-groomers-and-kentucky-fried-chicken-hotel-guests-100241970877.html
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/confessions-of-a-divemaster-why-your-scuba-instructor-97168808167.html
The B&B posts get more comments, thus in all probability generating more Yahoo travel posts of the same ilk. I would suggest that this forum would be better served by ignoring those columns - not clicking on them, not sharing them and definitely not commenting on them. I vow to mend my ways immediately in that regards, even though it's like trying not to look at a traffic accident.
What if one of our talented writers wrote the opposite column - Confessions of an Innkeeper Loving Her Life? By Lorelei Gilmore, perhaps? Send it off to Yahoo and see if they run it. I doubt it. The articles HuffPo runs about B&Bs are almost always positive, and they're a much more credible source..
muirford said:
What if one of our talented writers wrote the opposite column - Confessions of an Innkeeper Loving Her Life? By Lorelei Gilmore, perhaps? Send it off to Yahoo and see if they run it. I doubt it. The articles HuffPo runs about B&Bs are almost always positive, and they're a much more credible source.
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

What if one of our talented writers wrote the opposite column - Confessions of an Innkeeper Loving Her Life? By Lorelei Gilmore, perhaps? Send it off to Yahoo and see if they run it. I doubt it. The articles HuffPo runs about B&Bs are almost always positive, and they're a much more credible source..
muirford said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Love Lorelei Gilmore... in fact dig, she's a fan of we!

Back