Quantcast

Weather Cancellations

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

JBloggs

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
17,743
Reaction score
0
For those of you with "weather" please share again how you deal with people who think it might snow and they might have to cancel? I have cancellations only accepted if OUR roads are undrivable due to bad weather. I got an email from an hour from us for this Saturday and he says he is not wanting to drive in 10 inches of snow. Should I send him a gift certificate for the stay for future use or just cancel him?
I might just cancel him now, and leave the heat lower upstairs and be done with it. Thanks for your help. LOL!
 

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
17,351
Reaction score
224
Case by case. If it's a big storm, I don't want people driving thru it to get here. However, I draw the line at cancels for weather not even remotely in my area. We have yet to charge for winter cancels. Won't accept, 'It's going to rain, we're staying home,' as a reason, tho.
 

Samster

Well-known member
Joined
May 30, 2008
Messages
6,475
Reaction score
14
Location
South Carolina
I would just cancel the rez. Not worth any aggravation and they'll re-book if they want to come back your way sometime.
 

EmptyNest

Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
8,741
Reaction score
1
WHAT??? what weather report is he reading? Is VA supposed to get 10 inches of snow Sat? Not us!!! Just flurries. For me...avoid the hassle and if they are the only guests....save your heat.
Let him off the hook. He'll appreciate it and hopefully rebook another time.
 

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
17,351
Reaction score
224
I get this way more often than you might think. And it's generally the V-Day crowd. Which is why I no longer have V-Day pkgs that involve the purchase of anything. 2 years ago I was full and 5 rooms cancelled. The only 2 that came were 'locals.'
 

Innkeeper To Go

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Messages
1,395
Reaction score
0
It's always a case by case thing for me, but my inclination is generally to let them off the hook it the roads are going to be difficult.
I want to know they're able to get to the inn safely. And to get back home safely, too.
 

Innkeeper To Go

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Messages
1,395
Reaction score
0
I'm with you on this one. You're offering him a cancellation outside of your policy and he's still playing around. Not cool.
On the other hand, it could be that they're just so looking forward to staying at your inn that it's difficult for them to let go of that.
But still. You've got a house to heat. Or not.
 

gillumhouse

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Supporting Member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
15,554
Reaction score
137
I wish I had the problem! Jealous! Rarely have a rez this time of year. Too far from DC & I-68 gets closed because of snow. Don't blame them for not booking.
 

egoodell

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
3,023
Reaction score
0
Case by case. If it's a big storm, I don't want people driving thru it to get here. However, I draw the line at cancels for weather not even remotely in my area. We have yet to charge for winter cancels. Won't accept, 'It's going to rain, we're staying home,' as a reason, tho..
Looks like he's playing you. I would tell him he has one day to make up his mind. I have a winner coming this weekend myself.
We are getting forecast for flurries. I have had one email asking if the wine tour will go or if the wineries will be closed. Not at all! We go unless it's dumping. They are open.
Riki
 

EmptyNest

Well-known member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
8,741
Reaction score
1
Stick to it with this one. Cancel today or you will pay up!!!
 

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
17,351
Reaction score
224
This is the usual case with us, too. What I generally tell them off the bat is this, 'I can cancel your reservation right now, no harm no foul. If you choose to wait, you will be responsible for the booking if you cancel at any other time than right now while we're talking.' I also offer them the suggestion to take me up on the cancellation and then just call back on Saturday and rebook.
If it's via email, I give them until, say 5 PM TODAY.
 

wendydk

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
0
I just had a four night couple who departed one day early. Whether too warm and wet and I just let them go...I know they'll be back.
 

JBloggs

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
17,743
Reaction score
0
It's always a case by case thing for me, but my inclination is generally to let them off the hook it the roads are going to be difficult.
I want to know they're able to get to the inn safely. And to get back home safely, too..
expecting a big storm, one room said they will still make it here.
 
Top