Website Changes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is out there - but it is true - as DH who worked back til 7pm last night at his real job and is being forced to put the final skim coat on the walls in one guest bathroom - where he stripped the arcaic dark vinyl wallpaper and is prepping it to paint - we do everything ourselves. Everything. I created and manage our website, I update it OFTEN. Not major updates now, but new photos and information as seo dictates for google to love us. From the photos to the text to the broken links - all me. But I listen and learn. I actually enjoy THIS side of the business.
(Actually I try not to have any of those broken links!)
This business is 100% hands on for this family. From mowing lawns, mulching garden, pressure washing fences, adding new bathrooms, website, toilet cleaning, people feeding...
PS I deleted it on another thread but had a major email lead come through and got on it immediately. If it pans out for this B&B I will let you all know the outcome. If it pans out for the region in general, it will be good for us..
JBJ - What software are you using for your website? We are looking for one as DH and I want to do more to our site than what he currently can do using HTML Adobe alone. Any others are welcome to chime in too.
From a pro point of view it is hard to beat Dreamweaver. For anyone maintaining only one site it may be a bit of overkill, but only a little. The jury is still out on the new Microsoft products....but Frontpage should be avoided.
Yes we have looked at Dreamweaver but the cost, ouch! We both had classes on Frontpage years ago but know to avoid it and have!
Yep it is costly. I have it only because my office stopped using it and I was not about to let them toss it. But even at the full cost I figure it's a lot less than having to hire someone. The prices they are quoting are out of this world. Catlady is the only person I know who is affordable that puts out a quality product.
RIki

This is out there - but it is true - as DH who worked back til 7pm last night at his real job and is being forced to put the final skim coat on the walls in one guest bathroom - where he stripped the arcaic dark vinyl wallpaper and is prepping it to paint - we do everything ourselves. Everything. I created and manage our website, I update it OFTEN. Not major updates now, but new photos and information as seo dictates for google to love us. From the photos to the text to the broken links - all me. But I listen and learn. I actually enjoy THIS side of the business.
This business is 100% hands on for this family. From mowing lawns, mulching garden, pressure washing fences, adding new bathrooms, website, toilet cleaning, people feeding...
PS I deleted it on another thread but had a major email lead come through and got on it immediately. If it pans out for this B&B I will let you all know the outcome. If it pans out for the region in general, it will be good for us..
JBJ - What software are you using for your website? We are looking for one as DH and I want to do more to our site than what he currently can do using HTML Adobe alone. Any others are welcome to chime in too.
From a pro point of view it is hard to beat Dreamweaver. For anyone maintaining only one site it may be a bit of overkill, but only a little. The jury is still out on the new Microsoft products....but Frontpage should be avoided.
If you haven't checked out Namo WebEditor Pro 6.0, it is about as powerful as you can get for so little money, like $75. I don't even think about using HTML, but it is fully functional for that as well as WYSIWYG, it is easy to switch between them and it is a snap to publish. It also comes with some other stuff that is harder for me to figure out.
Not robust enough for my needs, but would do what many innkeepers would need it to do.
swirt said:
Not robust enough for my needs, but would do what many innkeepers would need it to do.
Do you have anything on your site about web software, or would that be putting yourself out of a job?
confused_smile.gif

I'd be interested in what YOU think is a good replacement for FP, for folks like me & JBJ who are willing to try to figure stuff out and can't let go of control of the site!

My hosting/design company gave me a tutorial (me sitting with my rep) on making changes on my site. I stated by doing copy/paste of what I wanted to change and overtyping the new stuff. It did not take me too long to figure out the <p> <b> etc. There is still stuff that I copy/paste on a blank WORD page before I transfer it to my web site and I will probably always do that with photos. I can change my rates, Specials and Packages and have even added a couple of links all by myself!

I have a small website design biz on the side and I like the Namo product. It is to the point and quite easy to use. The only thing that scared me right off the bat was the size of the owner's manual! It is huge...but thorough. Only cost me around $60 or so at Staples.

If you haven't checked out Namo WebEditor Pro 6.0, it is about as powerful as you can get for so little money, like $75. I don't even think about using HTML, but it is fully functional for that as well as WYSIWYG, it is easy to switch between them and it is a snap to publish. It also comes with some other stuff that is harder for me to figure out.
Referring to Namo
swirt said:
In your opinon Is this product a good product for a nice website without all the hidden codes that software like FP tacts on in the background?

swirt said:
Do you have anything on your site about web software, or would that be putting yourself out of a job?
confused_smile.gif

I'd be interested in what YOU think is a good replacement for FP, for folks like me & JBJ who are willing to try to figure stuff out and can't let go of control of the site!
No I don't have anything on my site about specific software. Too many issues to deal with and not a fear of putting myself out of work. Most of the sites I do now are based on my content managment system so innkeepers can update content without needing me.
The main thing to be concerned with when switching products is how they will react to the code created by the first product. This is often where frontpage stuff is a mess because the way Microsoft did things was so non-standards based that it can create some messes as a new editor tries to make sense of it.
If I couldn't go with DreamWeaver, I'd be tempted to switch to Kompozer as it is cross platform and Free. It has some good features and produces nice code.
The key thing that is hard for others to beat in Dreamweaver is the ability to use templates (not simply pre-created themes that most editors have) that continue to control the look of the entire site. Change part of the template and all of the pages get updated automatically. Look and feel are better controlled by CSS but the structure..say your navigation bar, if you cange that you end up having to make the same change on every page...not if you made it with a DW template. The ability to create editable regions is nice, but only DW supports it. If someone I created a non-cms site for uses dreamweaver to edit a page, they can edit the content without fear of unintentionally ruining something else. If they accidentally alter something else, Dreamweaver will issue a warning and ask them if they really want to override it. If they use some other product to edit it, they are on their own to break everything in site. ;) To my knowledge there is only one other editor that has this kind of feature and it only runs on linux. (Disclaimer: I may be wrong, new releases come out too often for me to be 100% certain of this.)
Catlady can probably attest to the power of Templates and the impact it had on her work as she switched from Frontpage to DW. It plays a huge factor when you have lots of sites with lots of pages. It may not be worth learning templates if you only have one site with only a handfull of pages.

Referring to Namo
swirt said:
In your opinon Is this product a good product for a nice website without all the hidden codes that software like FP tacts on in the background?
I believe it produces reasonable code (not sure what it does with already mangled code). There are very few web editors in existence today that produce garbage code they way FP did. Microsoft tried to override html standards and thought they were big enough to create and force their own...they weren't. Most of the other companies learned from this. ;)

I have a small website design biz on the side and I like the Namo product. It is to the point and quite easy to use. The only thing that scared me right off the bat was the size of the owner's manual! It is huge...but thorough. Only cost me around $60 or so at Staples..
I guess that why I think it is a good choice for people just starting to free themselves from the ongoing charges of having someone else do it. For $60 bucks, you just can't go wrong. I have a lot of work to do yet, but I barely scratched the surface of what Namo can do and I got a decent site that is easy to update. I am not so smart about what Swirt was saying, but Namo allows me to update Navigation bars and banners and stuff like that in one action that takes a minute or so. I can choose to update all the pages or just the one I have open. It is not Dreamweaver, but isn't too far off.
Consider it a great starter program that can carry you up into the intermediate and advanced stuff as you learn more.

I have a small website design biz on the side and I like the Namo product. It is to the point and quite easy to use. The only thing that scared me right off the bat was the size of the owner's manual! It is huge...but thorough. Only cost me around $60 or so at Staples..
I guess that why I think it is a good choice for people just starting to free themselves from the ongoing charges of having someone else do it. For $60 bucks, you just can't go wrong. I have a lot of work to do yet, but I barely scratched the surface of what Namo can do and I got a decent site that is easy to update. I am not so smart about what Swirt was saying, but Namo allows me to update Navigation bars and banners and stuff like that in one action that takes a minute or so. I can choose to update all the pages or just the one I have open. It is not Dreamweaver, but isn't too far off.
Consider it a great starter program that can carry you up into the intermediate and advanced stuff as you learn more.
Hi knkbnb, please don't take this personally, but I can't put my vote behind any editor that can't manage to get the first mandatory line of code in place
Validator results for your home page.
A doctype is pretty much the only line of code that is mandatory and your editor has neglected to make sure your home page has one.
Nor am I a big fan of editors that put this kind of stuff in place just for their own uses
your code said:
<meta name="namo-theme" content="theme\Green\Green01">
<!--NAMO_NAVBAR_START T h C h -1 6 27 4 3 5 -->
<!--NAMO_SHARED_CONTENTS_START name="NamoCopy" time="198c2920,1c98688"--> <!--NAMO_SHARED_CONTENTS_START name="NamoEMail" time="198e7310,1c98688"-->
<!--Namo WebEditor Data 4.0
:EmbededNPI001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-->
or
<p class=MsoNormal align="center" style="margin-right:8; margin-left:8;">
MsoNormal is Microsoft formatting clutter that doesn't belong there.
Numbers for style declarations should always have units so to be up to standard that should read
style="margin-right:8px; margin-left:8px;" or style="margin-right:8em; margin-left:8em;" The only number that can appear without units is 0 (zero).

haha what on earth is all that gobbledeegook that swirt posted here? i OBVIOUSLY need to stay out of the coding kitchen!

Hi knkbnb, please don't take this personally, but I can't put my vote behind any editor that can't manage to get the first mandatory line of code in place
A doctype is pretty much the only line of code that is mandatory and your editor has neglected to make sure your home page has one.
Nor am I a big fan of editors that put this kind of stuff in place just for their own uses
your code said:
<!--NAMO_SHARED_CONTENTS_START name="NamoCopy" time="198c2920,1c98688"--> <!--NAMO_SHARED_CONTENTS_START name="NamoEMail" time="198e7310,1c98688"-->
SKgaeGgzAACuj8Kd
-->
or
Numbers for style declarations should always have units so to be up to standard that should read
style="margin-right:8px; margin-left:8px;" or style="margin-right:8em; margin-left:8em;" The only number that can appear without units is 0 (zero).
I don't take it personally at all. It is all an education for me. I would say it is very helpful. Nor should you be expected to put your vote behind Namo based on our Website. The making sure part falls on me and that is a risky bet.
omg_smile.gif

your code said:
SKgaeGgzAACuj8Kd
-->
or
I was able to get a Doc type on there without to much trouble thanks to you pointing me to that validator. I think we are talking operator error on my end.
embaressed_smile.gif

your code said:
SKgaeGgzAACuj8Kd
-->
or
I was able to get a Doc type on there without to much trouble thanks to you pointing me to that validator. I think we are talking operator error on my end.
embaressed_smile.gif

Don't go beating yourself up ;) It is more than operator error. If a webpage editor doesn't know to put a doctype in, it also won't know what flavor of code to use in creating the page. The doctype chooses the flavor of code. Though when you have the chance you ought to put the doctype on every page, not just your home page.
This brings up a good question though. When you added the doctype to your home page, did Namo ask you if you wanted to add it to all pages? (This is the true power of a templating system.)

your code said:
SKgaeGgzAACuj8Kd
-->
or
embaressed_smile.gif

Don't go beating yourself up ;) It is more than operator error. If a webpage editor doesn't know to put a doctype in, it also won't know what flavor of code to use in creating the page. The doctype chooses the flavor of code. Though when you have the chance you ought to put the doctype on every page, not just your home page.
This brings up a good question though. When you added the doctype to your home page, did Namo ask you if you wanted to add it to all pages? (This is the true power of a templating system.)
It has something called Global Find and Replace which can possibly do that. It does have the ability to do a site wide change in WYSIWYG, which works fine.
It also allows you to create a template, which could include that and then be worked across the site. That was a good way for me to launch a consistent page with the elements that were site wide.

your code said:
SKgaeGgzAACuj8Kd
-->
or
embaressed_smile.gif

Did you actually mention a good brand of web editor for we soon to be without FP folks? What would you get if you were us? I don't mind learning something new. And, from what you said, the switch over may be painful. But, better now than when I have a million pages!

your code said:
SKgaeGgzAACuj8Kd
-->
or
embaressed_smile.gif

It has something called Global Find and Replace which can possibly do that. It does have the ability to do a site wide change in WYSIWYG, which works fine.
It also allows you to create a template, which could include that and then be worked across the site. That was a good way for me to launch a consistent page with the elements that were site wide.
knkbnb said:
I guess that is what I am wondering... if you placed the doctype declaration on your template now, would it add it to every page, or will it only use it on new pages your create from the template?

your code said:
SKgaeGgzAACuj8Kd
-->
or
embaressed_smile.gif

knkbnb said:
I guess that is what I am wondering... if you placed the doctype declaration on your template now, would it add it to every page, or will it only use it on new pages your create from the template?
HMMMM.. I don't know exactly. that is where the operator error comes in. I wish I knew half the stuff it does, but I am on a need to know basis. A wiz could get the program and have it figured out in days. In my case, the tail is wagging the dog- ALTHOUGH- I now know where the tail is!
teeth_smile.gif

Back