Website without online booking?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, we don't have a solution to this at all, we just have a standard impersonal reservation system. But it made me think when someone mentioned it. Just wanted to get some opinions on how big an issue it was. (not necessarily with just our system)
Personally, when booking accommodation I want to get it done as quickly as possible, so having to call a number generally puts me off. But I could see why the owners of smaller properties might want to chat with the guest first?
Or is this a total non-issue?

Thanks,
Alan.
rezplanet said:
To be honest, we don't have a solution to this at all, we just have a standard impersonal reservation system. But it made me think when someone mentioned it. Just wanted to get some opinions on how big an issue it was. (not necessarily with just our system)
Personally, when booking accommodation I want to get it done as quickly as possible, so having to call a number generally puts me off. But I could see why the owners of smaller properties might want to chat with the guest first?

Thanks,
Alan
you are not really making any sense. what is the question you are asking? are you asking if guests think online reservations are impersnaol? if guests think websites are impersonal? if b&b owners think online booking is impersonal? what's the question?
Sorry, I'm asking if guesthouse owners think online reservations are too impersonal such that they won't use them.
rezplanet said:
Sorry, I'm asking if guesthouse owners think online reservations are too impersonal such that they won't use them.
many small property owners do think the online reservations are too impersonal. for many owners they want to *vet* the guests before they arrive to weed out undesirables. tht doesn't work but they think it will.
MooseTrax said:
rezplanet said:
many small property owners do think the online reservations are too impersonal. for many owners they want to *vet* the guests before they arrive to weed out undesirables. tht doesn't work but they think it will.
ummm, what makes you think that it doesn't? It works pretty well for us. except of course the pillow thieves, grrrrrr...
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
MooseTrax said:
rezplanet said:
ummm, what makes you think that it doesn't? It works pretty well for us. except of course the pillow thieves, grrrrrr...
There are several reasons we have found that don't allow for vetting of guests over the phone. Some guests are rushed when making the reservation so they seem short and snappish and not the sort of people you want around. And then that's not the case when they arrive. Some take forever to make up their minds and you're on the phone forever trying to get an answer out of them and then we never see them when they're here and we thought they would be glued to our sides. Some are very pleasant on the phone because they are home and relaxed and then they turn into zombies when they have ONE WEEK to enjoy everything they wanted to see while on vacation and they are grumpy all the time.
The same issues that happen on the phone happen when a guest books online. They forget they have children. They do this on the phone as well as online. Asking how many in the party does not always elicit the correct answer. Guests have shown up many times with more in the party than they booked with us on the phone. Adults and children.
Your place sounds like they will stay with you for long periods at a time so you need to make sure they understand what there is and isn't there to do for that week. How breakfast works, how dinner works, if they get a lunch packed for them or if they have to drive 20 miles to find a restaurant. We're just a regular B&B so trying to vet guests generally doesn't work. After meeting some guests in person we may decide to be more of a presence in the inn in the evening or make sure everything is locked up as some guests just don't put off good vibes.
MooseTrax said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
MooseTrax said:
rezplanet said:
There are several reasons we have found that don't allow for vetting of guests over the phone. Some guests are rushed when making the reservation so they seem short and snappish and not the sort of people you want around. And then that's not the case when they arrive. Some take forever to make up their minds and you're on the phone forever trying to get an answer out of them and then we never see them when they're here and we thought they would be glued to our sides. Some are very pleasant on the phone because they are home and relaxed and then they turn into zombies when they have ONE WEEK to enjoy everything they wanted to see while on vacation and they are grumpy all the time.
The same issues that happen on the phone happen when a guest books online. They forget they have children. They do this on the phone as well as online. Asking how many in the party does not always elicit the correct answer. Guests have shown up many times with more in the party than they booked with us on the phone. Adults and children.
Your place sounds like they will stay with you for long periods at a time so you need to make sure they understand what there is and isn't there to do for that week. How breakfast works, how dinner works, if they get a lunch packed for them or if they have to drive 20 miles to find a restaurant. We're just a regular B&B so trying to vet guests generally doesn't work. After meeting some guests in person we may decide to be more of a presence in the inn in the evening or make sure everything is locked up as some guests just don't put off good vibes.
Everything you say is true and has happened and will happen. Hey, I am German and oh boy, I don't do well with change. I have always thought that personal contact sort of guarantees a more pleasant relationship with the guest and it will prevent them more than not to not change their minds.
I am beginning to feel that I need to catch up.
Remember though, I do not have a bandb and should probably not be a member here. NOT in the way we deliver service are we different, only in the way we put them to bed do our places of business differ.
We live in a resort area, which can fill even people's bathtubs with guests. The trick is for us to make them want to come back and stay AGAIN. So you see, the online thing is not the end all be all for me.
In other words, now that I think about it, I should not have been in the midst of this discussion.
Are you as confused as I am now?
embaressed_smile.gif

l think I better go and clean a few rooms now. I'll feel better soon

Thanks,
Alan.
rezplanet said:

Thanks,
Alan
you are not really making any sense. what is the question you are asking? are you asking if guests think online reservations are impersnaol? if guests think websites are impersonal? if b&b owners think online booking is impersonal? what's the question?
rezplanet said:
MooseTrax said:
rezplanet said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
MooseTrax said:
rezplanet said:
MooseTrax said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
MooseTrax said:
rezplanet said:
Everything you say is true and has happened and will happen. Hey, I am German and oh boy, I don't do well with change. I have always thought that personal contact sort of guarantees a more pleasant relationship with the guest and it will prevent them more than not to not change their minds.
Remember though, I do not have a bandb and should probably not be a member here. NOT in the way we deliver service are we different, only in the way we put them to bed do our places of business differ.
We live in a resort area, which can fill even people's bathtubs with guests. The trick is for us to make them want to come back and stay AGAIN. So you see, the online thing is not the end all be all for me.
In other words, now that I think about it, I should not have been in the midst of this discussion.
embaressed_smile.gif

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
embaressed_smile.gif

It's sort of a badge of honor on this forum that anyone can jump in and comment on anything. We don't even stick to the topic half the time. You're in the hospitality biz and so is pretty much everyone else who chimes in here. You presented your opinions why you don't want or don't need online bookings and all of the answers back and forth may help someone else who is on the fence about the topic to make a decision.
I think personal contact with the guest generally makes them look forward to their stay more than just booking a room online does. Some people just want a place to stay and aren't looking for anything else. So there's a an option for everyone.

Back