Websites of B&Bs you as an innkeeper admire and find easy to use

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Toad_HLB

Reaction score
Joe's response in another thread about B&B website turnoffs made me think of this topic.
Many of us have a multitude of opinions on anything and everything related to B&Bs yet can't or don't expose our identities for a variety of reasons. Not asking anyone to reveal their own site or anyone elses.
I'm interested in seeing the URLs for any B&B website any other member finds really appealing from both a funcitonal and aesthetic perspective. What works, what doesn't?
Remember, not your own, not anybody elses from here unless that person already offers it, but one's you go to for a getaway, have found and really liked, discovered and came away with ideas to improve your own, etc.

Boy Tim. I am gonna have to think about this one. When designing my own site I pulled from so many sources out there. I have yet to find the perfect B&B site. Some have great funtionality but lack asthetics, Others are damn perty but you can't find anything easily. Things are two or three clicks away. Are we looking for a site that is extremely user friendly or one that stand out on it's appeal or ability to draw you in?

Boy Tim. I am gonna have to think about this one. When designing my own site I pulled from so many sources out there. I have yet to find the perfect B&B site. Some have great funtionality but lack asthetics, Others are damn perty but you can't find anything easily. Things are two or three clicks away. Are we looking for a site that is extremely user friendly or one that stand out on it's appeal or ability to draw you in?.
"I have yet to find the perfect B&B site. Some have great funtionality but lack asthetics, Others are damn perty but you can't find anything easily. Things are two or three clicks away."
Well, that seems to be the big challenge for both website producers and end users. I know when I see it, but its pretty rare.
"Are we looking for a site that is extremely user friendly or one that stand out on it's appeal or ability to draw you in?"
Either, and/or, etc.. its harder than one thinks
I hope the guys don't mind, but I find this one very well done.
http://www.farolito.com/

Boy Tim. I am gonna have to think about this one. When designing my own site I pulled from so many sources out there. I have yet to find the perfect B&B site. Some have great funtionality but lack asthetics, Others are damn perty but you can't find anything easily. Things are two or three clicks away. Are we looking for a site that is extremely user friendly or one that stand out on it's appeal or ability to draw you in?.
"I have yet to find the perfect B&B site. Some have great funtionality but lack asthetics, Others are damn perty but you can't find anything easily. Things are two or three clicks away."
Well, that seems to be the big challenge for both website producers and end users. I know when I see it, but its pretty rare.
"Are we looking for a site that is extremely user friendly or one that stand out on it's appeal or ability to draw you in?"
I really liked their site when I was looking last year. And it looks like it's been redone. What I had a problem with was I couldn't figure out which room was which when I was trying to book but it looks like they have a different online system now.

In designing a website it's really best to have a 'committee' design it with one person as the decision maker. I had my website critiqued this year after a class I took. The SEO guy had a lot of great suggestions but the 'designer' took a whole different approach and worked on the colors and layout. I've changed a couple of things they recommended, but haven't been able to do everything. I went after the 'low hanging fruit' as it were.
The other B&B's in the class had no online booking and you had to call or email as there wasn't even a calendar. My suggestion to them was to get on the stick and get the online system. They didn't want to. They want to talk to every guest. WHY? You're not going to weed out the bad ones and in the meantime you're missing the folks who just want to do this and be done. I tried. (I just went and looked, neither place made any changes since the class. And there were about 10 of us in the class who did the critique and then the instructor and his team had a go.)

I really liked their site when I was looking last year. And it looks like it's been redone. What I had a problem with was I couldn't figure out which room was which when I was trying to book but it looks like they have a different online system now.
I have admired this site as well. And they HAVE re-done it. And I have spoken with the innkeeper about it. They spent a small fortune for the photography, but they feel it was worth every penny, and I have to agree. Their availability calendar is awesome too, and the way they have their rates right there on the rooms page is priceless.
Did you come to NM Bree?
Anyone want to join me in a Gin and Tonic?

I have admired this site as well. And they HAVE re-done it. And I have spoken with the innkeeper about it. They spent a small fortune for the photography, but they feel it was worth every penny, and I have to agree. Their availability calendar is awesome too, and the way they have their rates right there on the rooms page is priceless.
Did you come to NM Bree?
Anyone want to join me in a Gin and Tonic?
I went to Santa Fe 2 years ago (not last year, like I thought!), stayed at El Paradero (whose website has also been changed). We were there the week the new owner was 'taking over'. Not sure if it's the same person now but at that point she had not yet purchased the place but was overseeing the reno of a couple of rooms. I see from the website that a lot of the spaces have been painted.
Oh, and the G&T? I'll join in with my glass of wine!

This is more of a canned website from a well known BnB web designer - but it is a nice one. Photos and every detail impressed me. (Note inn video and all the right "links" on the homepage). There is a ton of content should someone want more information, or they can find exactly what they need immediately and make their booking or check availability.
Cut n paste and remove the space - http://www.beauforthouse. com

InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for sharing this one, especially as we go back and forth, back and forth on whether or not to add video. I like this site but wow, that video totally turned me off. I DON"T like the innkeepers on the video...it seems forced and just kind of phony. I am leaning more and more to the idea of the fade in and out photos more than a true "video"...this one as it displays on my site is shaky which is also distraction. The website photos look great though, as does the property in general.
I like this Inn's site: http://elmoroccoinn.com/index.htm
And you saw the full list of videos to the right, so obviousely when one does them they all do them with such a high concentration of BnB's there. You could look at some of the others to see if any appeal to you, but agreed, unfortunately, that is the exact type of video I DO NOT LIKE. But that is just me, maybe others will chime in and say how fantastic the video and appealing it was?

This is more of a canned website from a well known BnB web designer - but it is a nice one. Photos and every detail impressed me. (Note inn video and all the right "links" on the homepage). There is a ton of content should someone want more information, or they can find exactly what they need immediately and make their booking or check availability.
Cut n paste and remove the space - http://www.beauforthouse. com.
Thanks for sharing this one, especially as we go back and forth, back and forth on whether or not to add video. I like this site but wow, that video totally turned me off. I DON"T like the innkeepers being on the video...it seems forced and just kind of phony. I am leaning more and more to the idea of the fade in and out photos more than a true "video"...this one as it displays on my site is shaky which is also distraction. The website photos look great though, as does the property in general.

InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for sharing this one, especially as we go back and forth, back and forth on whether or not to add video. I like this site but wow, that video totally turned me off. I DON"T like the innkeepers on the video...it seems forced and just kind of phony. I am leaning more and more to the idea of the fade in and out photos more than a true "video"...this one as it displays on my site is shaky which is also distraction. The website photos look great though, as does the property in general.
And you saw the full list of videos to the right, so obviousely when one does them they all do them with such a high concentration of BnB's there. You could look at some of the others to see if any appeal to you, but agreed, unfortunately, that is the exact type of video I DO NOT LIKE. But that is just me, maybe others will chime in and say how fantastic the video and appealing it was?.
Yes, great point...that is a very competitive market, not only many beautiful and historic b&b's but also resorts, spas, and cabin rentals...must make it very tough to "stay alive".

InnsiderInfo said:
And you saw the full list of videos to the right, so obviousely when one does them they all do them with such a high concentration of BnB's there. You could look at some of the others to see if any appeal to you, but agreed, unfortunately, that is the exact type of video I DO NOT LIKE. But that is just me, maybe others will chime in and say how fantastic the video and appealing it was?.
Did you like my video? I can take it! I had a little Italian stud and a friend of his (I told him I wanted him to bring "a sweet young thing" to ride the bikes on the trail and to be at the table at the B & B) at breakfast. There was no way I was going to be in that video and scare people off! The voice-over is a pro from the TV station tht did the commercial for the State. We were the "donut-hole" of the ad. It is on my Activities Page.
The neat thing was that this year when there was a grant for "GREEN" ads and our City Manager was asked if our City wanted to participate in some donut-hole ads, she was happy to know what they meant and did not have to look stupid and ask.

InnsiderInfo said:
Did you like my video? I can take it! I had a little Italian stud and a friend of his (I told him I wanted him to bring "a sweet young thing" to ride the bikes on the trail and to be at the table at the B & B) at breakfast. There was no way I was going to be in that video and scare people off! The voice-over is a pro from the TV station tht did the commercial for the State. We were the "donut-hole" of the ad. It is on my Activities Page.
The neat thing was that this year when there was a grant for "GREEN" ads and our City Manager was asked if our City wanted to participate in some donut-hole ads, she was happy to know what they meant and did not have to look stupid and ask.
gillumhouse said:
I honestly like your video...but it has a totally different quality from all these Asheville ones I was looking at. Yours is much more about why I should come to your AREA, and the photography and music are engaging. The voice over is good, there are no "Ummmm"s (that was driving me nuts on the one where innkeepers were featured!) and the shots of your place are short and sweet...bed, bathroom and breakfast...everything I need!
It's these forced, full one minute videos about the houses and the drawn out "Better Homes and Gardens" type shots and the droning on and on about the place that just bug me!

Thanks for sharing this one, especially as we go back and forth, back and forth on whether or not to add video. I like this site but wow, that video totally turned me off. I DON"T like the innkeepers being on the video...it seems forced and just kind of phony. I am leaning more and more to the idea of the fade in and out photos more than a true "video"...this one as it displays on my site is shaky which is also distraction. The website photos look great though, as does the property in general.
Ok, that is like my dream inn, except that it is in the desert...

I disagree, I thought while the quality of the video wasn't that great, I think the innkeepers did a great job, it's hard to be in front of a camera and "perform" if you aren't a performer... they seemed relaxed and natural to me. How many times have we all given the spiel? How could you not be?!

InnsiderInfo said:
gillumhouse said:
The Shinnston? YES! I enjoy those type of videos, just not the lecturing via an innkeeper on how beautiful, wonderful, extraordinary their place is and how it is just so much fun we don't even take days off. LOL! Your had professional narrations, good music, good scenery, nice.

Not only is their website great, but that is a wonderful place to stay. We've stayed with them a couple of times. :)

Simple and easy to navigate, but I thought the "check availability" link could be more noticeable and show in more places. Maybe could be it's own link on the "main menu" and appear next to the room descriptions.

Back