Well this was a first...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow.
I would say let it go, you did what you had to do. Given the situation, you couldn't be there, and couldn't double check the room before 2nd guests moved their stuff in, and caused more waiting. Lesson learned and eat the cost of the discount.
Now here is another question - you know how we are:
How did the first couple get into the wrong room? Are all the rooms left unlocked, or were they given the wrong keys?.
JB you have been here before so you know our layout. For others our layout are like small duplex cabins. So there is 2 suites per cabin. Room 1 and room 2. My mom showed them to their room (Room 2). After she checked them in they went to unload their car. When they came back they went to the wrong room. They went into room 1. Its obvious they had one thing on their minds. The problem was worked out between the 2 couples. The 2 couples talked and switched rooms. The idiots that went to the wrong room told the other couple everything was fine. That they had just arrived and did not use the room. But later confessed that they had but it was not their fault. We should of checked it all over. But this was worked out between guests and we were not aware of the mix up until 11:45 pm that night.
Hillbilly said:
JB you have been here before so you know our layout. For others our layout are like small duplex cabins. So there is 2 suites per cabin. Room 1 and room 2. My mom showed them to their room (Room 2). After she checked them in they went to unload their car. When they came back they went to the wrong room. They went into room 1. Its obvious they had one thing on their minds. The problem was worked out between the 2 couples. The 2 couples talked and switched rooms. The idiots that went to the wrong room told the other couple everything was fine. That they had just arrived and did not use the room. But later confessed that they had but it was not their fault. jb: E M B A R R A S S E D We should of checked it all over. But this was worked out between guests and we were not aware of the mix up until 11:45 pm that night.
Yes I know the layout well. Works great, most of the time.
You still aren't answering the keys question. They should only have a key to the door that works with the key. It wasn't their fault...and back to the layout, it could easily happen. Them being caught unawares didn't have time to grab their belongings and think about all that. In a split second it all came down and they have to work out what happened, pack back up, and move.
It wasn't the first couple's issue whether it was fine or not, that was management's.
You have to eat it and then get over it. Honestly, if it happened to me as a guest I would want 100% discount. Just being real here.
We had no idea the room mix up had even happened until 11:45 that night when guest number 2 told us about it. The 2 couples took it upon themselves to work it out. After reading all of your comments I'm starting to think it might actually be the 2nd couples fault. I know someone was in their room but the went ahead and decided to check into a room on there own that had already been occupied. They did not contact us to have us recheck the room. Now im getting double upset.
angry_smile.gif
. I would of gladly checked the room and made sure everything was ok if we had been aware of the problem. To me this fight is between the 2 couples and had nothing to do with us but now Im out $80 because of them. Guests are starting to suck the life out of this innkeeper!
So, what you're saying is your mom checked the first couple into the correct room. They got into the wrong room by mistake. Your mom checked in the second couple and put them in a room occupied by someone else. Because those guests must still have been in the wrong room when the second guests checked in.
I'm not getting why mom didn't see the other guests or their belongings when the check in occurred. Or why the second guests accepted the wrong room to start with and only took it up with the first guests after your mom left.

Wow.
I would say let it go, you did what you had to do. Given the situation, you couldn't be there, and couldn't double check the room before 2nd guests moved their stuff in, and caused more waiting. Lesson learned and eat the cost of the discount.
How did the first couple get into the wrong room? Are all the rooms left unlocked, or were they given the wrong keys?.
JB you have been here before so you know our layout. For others our layout are like small duplex cabins. So there is 2 suites per cabin. Room 1 and room 2. My mom showed them to their room (Room 2). After she checked them in they went to unload their car. When they came back they went to the wrong room. They went into room 1. Its obvious they had one thing on their minds. The problem was worked out between the 2 couples. The 2 couples talked and switched rooms. The idiots that went to the wrong room told the other couple everything was fine. That they had just arrived and did not use the room. But later confessed that they had but it was not their fault. We should of checked it all over. But this was worked out between guests and we were not aware of the mix up until 11:45 pm that night.
Hillbilly said:
JB you have been here before so you know our layout. For others our layout are like small duplex cabins. So there is 2 suites per cabin. Room 1 and room 2. My mom showed them to their room (Room 2). After she checked them in they went to unload their car. When they came back they went to the wrong room. They went into room 1. Its obvious they had one thing on their minds. The problem was worked out between the 2 couples. The 2 couples talked and switched rooms. The idiots that went to the wrong room told the other couple everything was fine. That they had just arrived and did not use the room. But later confessed that they had but it was not their fault. jb: E M B A R R A S S E D We should of checked it all over. But this was worked out between guests and we were not aware of the mix up until 11:45 pm that night.
Yes I know the layout well. Works great, most of the time.
You still aren't answering the keys question. They should only have a key to the door that works with the key. It wasn't their fault...and back to the layout, it could easily happen. Them being caught unawares didn't have time to grab their belongings and think about all that. In a split second it all came down and they have to work out what happened, pack back up, and move.
It wasn't the first couple's issue whether it was fine or not, that was management's.
You have to eat it and then get over it. Honestly, if it happened to me as a guest I would want 100% discount. Just being real here.
We had no idea the room mix up had even happened until 11:45 that night when guest number 2 told us about it. The 2 couples took it upon themselves to work it out. After reading all of your comments I'm starting to think it might actually be the 2nd couples fault. I know someone was in their room but the went ahead and decided to check into a room on there own that had already been occupied. They did not contact us to have us recheck the room. Now im getting double upset.
angry_smile.gif
. I would of gladly checked the room and made sure everything was ok if we had been aware of the problem. To me this fight is between the 2 couples and had nothing to do with us but now Im out $80 because of them. Guests are starting to suck the life out of this innkeeper!
So, what you're saying is your mom checked the first couple into the correct room. They got into the wrong room by mistake. Your mom checked in the second couple and put them in a room occupied by someone else. Because those guests must still have been in the wrong room when the second guests checked in.
I'm not getting why mom didn't see the other guests or their belongings when the check in occurred. Or why the second guests accepted the wrong room to start with and only took it up with the first guests after your mom left.
me im lazy id have just stayed in the wrong /clean room - guessing they didn't try to get into the first room as could hear the activities inside - but then if they had why would they accept it was clean?

We go back and forth. One day all the keys are in the rooms at check in. (Makes it easier on us) The next all doors are locked and we pick up the key when we take them up…
I think in your situation with the cabins, I would have the doors locked. No worries about this happening again or anyone wandering up from the lake to investigate, etc. The first couple probably was in their room when one suddenly realized it wasn't the right room so they quick tried to cover it up but weren't fast enough… What does your mom have to say, did she walk the second couple down?
The fault is on the first couple for going in the wrong room and then trying to cover it up. They should have acknowledge they used the room already and what should be done now? The second couple was being gracious to them and letting them off easy when they were found in the wrong room. Then furious when they realized they were lied to! What a mess! I'm so sorry this happened to you all! Who should take the loss of the money, I don't know. We probably would take the loss but write off the first couple as DNB, not because of going into the wrong room but for lying about it. They can't be trusted now.

Sorry this happened to you. This is why all rooms are always locked as well as we walk guests to their room and check them in - this could all have been avoided if couple #1 couldn't have gotten into couple #2s room. And I would never ask someone to help compensate for a discount that I provided. That's a business transaction between us and the guest. We are compensating them for not getting the stay they paid us for (even when it's someone else's fault).

Hillbilly, I can understand how upsetting this was!
The only thing I will point out is that this could have been avoided if the rooms were locked.

The only thing I will point out is that this could have been avoided if the rooms were locked..
Copperhead said:
The only thing I will point out is that this could have been avoided if the rooms were locked.
I agree. The rooms should be locked for several reasons.

In all of this I just keep thinking.... Oh to be young again! ;-) Your lucky they even made it to a bedroom! Might need to check any hallway planters or table drawers for more used condoms.
Sorry you had such a hassle with it all.

Confession time here. Up until last week, we didn't have room keys. There are old fashioned rim locks on the doors so guests had privacy locks, but not room keys.
I finally found some dead bolts that look very similar to our rim locks, so guests can now have keys.
And we can keep unused rooms locked.
Haven't had a similar situation here, but such things seems to be 'a matter of time'. Murphy gets us all sooner or later.
So sorry this happened to you.
cry_smile.gif

The only thing I will point out is that this could have been avoided if the rooms were locked..
You are probably correct. We get a lot of late check ins. This is the first time in 16 years this has happened. How would you handle late check ins (After midnight) and get them their keys?

You are probably correct. We get a lot of late check ins. This is the first time in 16 years this has happened. How would you handle late check ins (After midnight) and get them their keys?
Hillbilly said:
You could put a mailbox in a convenient location and tell the guests to look inside their keys. Put keys in envelope addressed to guest with detailed description of how to get to their cottage. Make sure all other doors are locked.
It doesn't have to be a mailbox, but something like that where the envelopes stay dry.

Hillbilly said:
How would you handle late check ins (After midnight) and get them their keys?
Keypad lock and e-mail or text them the code.

Hillbilly said:
Arks said:
Hillbilly said:
Then there is this much easier way!

Sorry this happened to you. This is why all rooms are always locked as well as we walk guests to their room and check them in - this could all have been avoided if couple #1 couldn't have gotten into couple #2s room. And I would never ask someone to help compensate for a discount that I provided. That's a business transaction between us and the guest. We are compensating them for not getting the stay they paid us for (even when it's someone else's fault)..
I agree with MtnKeeper 100%. The refund is between you and the offended guests.
We always walk our guests up to their rooms and go over breakfast times, show them the beverage facilities, the WiFi, telephone, fire extinguishers and any other pertinent information. Great personalized service is one of the features that separate us from the Comfort Inn down the street.
If guests are checking in very late then I go over everything with them in the morning.
In any case, the other rooms are always locked.
I am so sorry you and your guests had such a hideous experience!
confused_smile.gif

Look at the bright side...couple #1 will never cum back! (Sorry, bad joke!)

Sorry this happened to you. This is why all rooms are always locked as well as we walk guests to their room and check them in - this could all have been avoided if couple #1 couldn't have gotten into couple #2s room. And I would never ask someone to help compensate for a discount that I provided. That's a business transaction between us and the guest. We are compensating them for not getting the stay they paid us for (even when it's someone else's fault)..
We always walk our guests up to their rooms and go over breakfast times, show them the beverage facilities, the WiFi, telephone, fire extinguishers and any other pertinent information. Great personalized service is one of the features that separate us from the Comfort Inn down the street.
If guests are checking in very late then I go over everything with them in the morning.
confused_smile.gif

Roxanne Trees said:
confused_smile.gif

I really hope they don't! :)

Hillbilly said:
We tried one of these a few years back and the younger people for the most part can use them just fine. Older people had a hard time with them and I had to spend a lot of time going and helping people get into their rooms. But maybe there are some better ones out there now.

Hillbilly said:
We tried one of these a few years back and the younger people for the most part can use them just fine. Older people had a hard time with them and I had to spend a lot of time going and helping people get into their rooms. But maybe there are some better ones out there now.
Hillbilly said:
Our guests range in age from months to 90+. The babies can't work the keypad but everyone else can. If they have to do it, they will.

Wow.
Hillbilly said:
our layout are like small duplex cabins. So there is 2 suites per cabin. Room 1 and room 2.
Are the two rooms in each cabin "identical" (maybe mirror images of each other)? Or are they distinctively unique from each other? Are the cabins "identical" to each other, or are they each unique and individual?
How are the cabins and rooms named/identified? Do they have unique individual names, or are they just numbers?
Just thinking about our place, I think guests would really have to work at getting mixed up and going to the wrong cottage, they are each unique and individual, and usually guests have chosen the one that they booked for the specific amenities that it offers... We don't lock them, so I suppose it could happen someday, but to me locking them would really change the feel and character of the place (they do have locks, keys hanging inside, so the guests can lock them if they wish to, but so far we haven't felt a need to).
We also don't normally walk our guests to their cottage (for one thing, many of them are returners who already know the drill and -- somewhat to our chagrin -- a lot of them feel comfortable enough to go ahead and settle in to their cottage before coming up to the office to actually "check-in") but I can see that maybe this is a service that we could offer to "new" guests, as in ask them if they would like us to show them to their cottage, or just have us direct them to it and let them explore it for themselves.

I'd let it go.
But in the meantime, eww. Seriously, they had sex, remade the bed and lied about it in 1/2 hour?
People are weird..
I know right.....They should get some kinda trophy. Check in, unload car, have sex. remake bed and move to a different room all in 15 min!
Hillbilly said:
I know right.....They should get some kinda trophy. Check in, unload car, have sex. remake bed and move to a different room all in 15 min!
Give the 20 minutes - it must have taken Mom a few minutes to check in couple #2 and for them to get luggage and to the room. You have a beautiful place. Considering what they managed to accomplish is such a short time, it is not surprising they were not paying attention to which room was theirs.

Just had a guest ask to switch rooms. When asked if I needed to 'clean the bathroom' they all said 'no'. So, of course I checked. Of course I did. Of course it needed cleaning.

Just had a guest ask to switch rooms. When asked if I needed to 'clean the bathroom' they all said 'no'. So, of course I checked. Of course I did. Of course it needed cleaning..
I hope you checked everything!

Latest posts

Back