What a Difference a Day Makes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For us we can usually hold out for a two night weekend stay in October or certain peak or holiday weekends when we know there will be many people in the area, the rest of the year when demand is lower I'm afraid it would hurt the pocketbook, sure is nice though when everyone stays two nights.

For us we can usually hold out for a two night weekend stay in October or certain peak or holiday weekends when we know there will be many people in the area, the rest of the year when demand is lower I'm afraid it would hurt the pocketbook, sure is nice though when everyone stays two nights..
I hold the line on two nighters for as long as possible in season. This is a big wedding town but most guests just want Saturday night.
We have one weekend in December that I require a 2 night stay. Right now I have only 2 rooms left for this coming December for that weekend. I don't back down on that one until Friday!
We found out the hard way that not sticking to minimums left us we lots of open rooms when later callers wanted 3 nights and we'd booked all of Saturday for one nighters.
A good chunk of the country doesn't really acknowledge Columbus day so they don't get it's a real holiday here with many people getting a 3 day weekend. No, you can't book 3 rooms for a 1 night stay! It's also Canada's Thanksgiving and parent's visiting at the college.

turning rooms like pancakes - I like that.
You have to know your market. Where I was, there were at least half one nighters because they were staying with me overnight and then taking a ferry in the morning. If they were coming back on the return ferry, that was a different story. They'd relax with me that second night and then head out the following day. But if their plan was to stay a few nights or a week on the island, no way could get more than a one night stay from them.
Not having to 'flip' those rooms day after day is awesome..
We find that here, too. No matter how many blogs I do about things you can do within an hour of here, 'everyone' is going to the national park.
Most of our one nighters are stopping on their way either to Maine or to Boston Airport. They come from Europe, do a couple nights in Boston, stop here for one night and then drive to Maine. After Maine, many go to NYC and home from there.
Many are unhappy that they only booked one night here once they see the town. Ours is a very pretty, very relaxing town. You need more than one night to appreciate it.

You have to know your market. Where I was, there were at least half one nighters because they were staying with me overnight and then taking a ferry in the morning. If they were coming back on the return ferry, that was a different story. They'd relax with me that second night and then head out the following day. But if their plan was to stay a few nights or a week on the island, no way could get more than a one night stay from them.
We find that here, too. No matter how many blogs I do about things you can do within an hour of here, 'everyone' is going to the national park.
Most of our one nighters are stopping on their way either to Maine or to Boston Airport. They come from Europe, do a couple nights in Boston, stop here for one night and then drive to Maine. After Maine, many go to NYC and home from there.
Many are unhappy that they only booked one night here once they see the town. Ours is a very pretty, very relaxing town. You need more than one night to appreciate it.
TheBeachHouse said:
We get that, too. They're thinking it's a stop on the way to somewhere else and then realize they could stay here where they can walk to everything in the evening after doing short day trips.
Hey, do your guests have reservations already when they head out the door? Can I send some biz cards to you? Send some here, too.

The great thing about running your own place is stopping mid stream and saying 'this isn't working' or 'this isn't working for THESE weekends' or whatever ... and changing it. No going through 'corporate' or 'committee' ... just do it. Made a mistake in your calculations? Change again.
There was a b&b in New Hampshire that booked all unsold rooms the day of at 1/2 price. They were always packed. Financially did it work for them? It seemed to because they had an outstanding (expensive) restaurant and pub onsite that a lot of their guests patronized where they likely recouped any loss. Just a guess. The new owners don't offer that special any more.

For us we can usually hold out for a two night weekend stay in October or certain peak or holiday weekends when we know there will be many people in the area, the rest of the year when demand is lower I'm afraid it would hurt the pocketbook, sure is nice though when everyone stays two nights..
I hold the line on two nighters for as long as possible in season. This is a big wedding town but most guests just want Saturday night.
We have one weekend in December that I require a 2 night stay. Right now I have only 2 rooms left for this coming December for that weekend. I don't back down on that one until Friday!
We found out the hard way that not sticking to minimums left us we lots of open rooms when later callers wanted 3 nights and we'd booked all of Saturday for one nighters.
A good chunk of the country doesn't really acknowledge Columbus day so they don't get it's a real holiday here with many people getting a 3 day weekend. No, you can't book 3 rooms for a 1 night stay! It's also Canada's Thanksgiving and parent's visiting at the college.
Many years ago, we tried to find a room on Columbus Day in Boston. We would have had to drive 60 miles. Ended up in the guest room of the bartender. There was NOTHING back then like Air etc. Just crazy calling around.

TheBeachHouse said:
We get that, too. They're thinking it's a stop on the way to somewhere else and then realize they could stay here where they can walk to everything in the evening after doing short day trips.
Hey, do your guests have reservations already when they head out the door? Can I send some biz cards to you? Send some here, too.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generally, they do have the trip planned out, but why not? I think it's a great idea to exchange cards.

Sigh - I take what I can get. With more than 2000 hotel rooms opening since I opened (I am not exaggerating hotel rooms), there is no longer the- "there is not another room available, why?" And I DO target market because I do not want unsatisfied guests.

The great thing about running your own place is stopping mid stream and saying 'this isn't working' or 'this isn't working for THESE weekends' or whatever ... and changing it. No going through 'corporate' or 'committee' ... just do it. Made a mistake in your calculations? Change again.
There was a b&b in New Hampshire that booked all unsold rooms the day of at 1/2 price. They were always packed. Financially did it work for them? It seemed to because they had an outstanding (expensive) restaurant and pub onsite that a lot of their guests patronized where they likely recouped any loss. Just a guess. The new owners don't offer that special any more..
we do a small discount automatically online on the day - but that's it certainly not half price!

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generally, they do have the trip planned out, but why not? I think it's a great idea to exchange cards.
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
If they call to make a rez I generally ask if they've planned the whole trip. If not, I make suggestions.

We used to take 1 nighters when we were new. Now all weekends and June -Oct have 2 night minimums. I only take 1 night stays in summer between reservations (orphans) or last minute within 2 days. It works for us but we've been at it 10 years now and have a great business - we all have to do what works and you can only know that by analyzing your bookings.

Back