what a surprise - hotel chains adding special touches - love the snickers!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
Hotels boost amenities to drive up guest loyalty
With only 36% of business travelers saying they were loyal to a hotel brand this year, compared with 42% two years ago, hotels are adding special touches and perks to help retain guests. At Kimpton Hotels, for instance, that means little things such as complimentary Snickers bars and sodas in rooms, which can go a long way in pleasing some guests. Other chains are introducing -- or re-introducing -- amenities including free breakfasts, no-fee Internet connections and late checkouts. The New York Times (11/30)

I have a friend who is home less than 30 days/year due to work related travel. From what he has said about the places his company puts him up, no perks at all.

Yesterday I had some body work done on my car...slight bruise to the bumper my husband insisted I have fixed:-( ANyway the place I took it, gave me a goody bag full of stuff for giving them the job. A loaf a bread from local bakery, scented Christmas Ornament, scented candle, a huge recyle totebag, magnet, calender and a gift referral card..I mean...talk about going over the top. And my bill was under $400.
This I believe is practicing the "give em a pickle" theory. Read about it on line...customer service above and beyond....besides doing a fine job with the bumper!!!

Yesterday I had some body work done on my car...slight bruise to the bumper my husband insisted I have fixed:-( ANyway the place I took it, gave me a goody bag full of stuff for giving them the job. A loaf a bread from local bakery, scented Christmas Ornament, scented candle, a huge recyle totebag, magnet, calender and a gift referral card..I mean...talk about going over the top. And my bill was under $400.
This I believe is practicing the "give em a pickle" theory. Read about it on line...customer service above and beyond....besides doing a fine job with the bumper!!!.
You know I'm just happy when they clean the car out after they're done instead of leaving greasy marks and dirty shoe prints everywhere.
Companies have got to realize that this 'oneupmanship' is going to kill them later on. Who will be happy with just getting whatever they thought they were paying for?
Altho, nice promo for all those other businesses in town. So, that in and of itself was good.

This I believe is practicing the "give em a pickle" theory. Read about it on line...customer service above and beyond....besides doing a fine job with the bumper!!!.
You know I'm just happy when they clean the car out after they're done instead of leaving greasy marks and dirty shoe prints everywhere.
Companies have got to realize that this 'oneupmanship' is going to kill them later on. Who will be happy with just getting whatever they thought they were paying for?
Altho, nice promo for all those other businesses in town. So, that in and of itself was good.
Oh they had put disposable floor mats in the car and the fellow had his wife actually pull the car out of the garage because he said he was too dirty to drive such a clean car :) I was just happy they finished ahead of schedule and was well done. The rest was just a nice surprise.

There are still chains that aren't offering anything free. Just had a repeat biz guest complain today about a chain that charges for everything. He had to stay there while we were out of the country. I asked how his stay was and he just rolled his eyes.

does anyone remember years back when gas stations used to give out things like dinosaur shaped soap and all the us presidents? i went to a local station for FULL service the other day ... which means they pump the gas. got out and cleaned my own windshield. i haven't had someone just do that in forever it seems.
my parents' house, well ... it just sold *sniff* ... anyway, all our pine trees in the yard were giveaways from the maine turnpike. they gave them out at a toll booth in little milk cartons. for a few years, my dad and i would choose one from the yard and cut it down for christmas. the last time he said 'well, shall we cut it down or let it grow?' (pointing to the smallest of the trees) i chose let it grow ... it's still there and very pretty.

does anyone remember years back when gas stations used to give out things like dinosaur shaped soap and all the us presidents? i went to a local station for FULL service the other day ... which means they pump the gas. got out and cleaned my own windshield. i haven't had someone just do that in forever it seems.
my parents' house, well ... it just sold *sniff* ... anyway, all our pine trees in the yard were giveaways from the maine turnpike. they gave them out at a toll booth in little milk cartons. for a few years, my dad and i would choose one from the yard and cut it down for christmas. the last time he said 'well, shall we cut it down or let it grow?' (pointing to the smallest of the trees) i chose let it grow ... it's still there and very pretty..
SS, here is a ((hug)). You need one now as you say goodbye to your "home". Wherever you lived, that was HOME. It will always be there in your memories and the oddest things will trigger those memories. You will never really lose it.
Forgot to add - yes, I definietely do remember those days of the give-aways. In 1963 if you got a sundae at the DQ it came in a WV Centenial glass. In the Chicago area, one gas station company gave out little squares of Soldier Field turf when it was being replaced for the Bears.

my parents' house, well ... it just sold *sniff* ... anyway, all our pine trees in the yard were giveaways from the maine turnpike. they gave them out at a toll booth in little milk cartons. for a few years, my dad and i would choose one from the yard and cut it down for christmas. the last time he said 'well, shall we cut it down or let it grow?' (pointing to the smallest of the trees) i chose let it grow ... it's still there and very pretty..
Where does a FULL SERVICE station still exist????? Certainly not anywhere around me:-(

Where does a FULL SERVICE station still exist????? Certainly not anywhere around me:-(
catlady said:
Where does a FULL SERVICE station still exist?????
New Jersey. It's still against the law there to pump your own gas, even at the local Wawa (NJ/PA equivalent of Sheetz or 7-11).

catlady said:
New Jersey. It's still against the law there to pump your own gas, even at the local Wawa (NJ/PA equivalent of Sheetz or 7-11).
muirford said:
catlady said:
Thanks I knew there was another state besides Oregon who made it against the law to pump your own gas. :)

Dinosaur soap! Yes, I remember that. And trying to make it last as long as I could!
Sorry about the house. That's a tough one.
I planted little 'Christmas' trees along our property line to harvest when we finally had grandkids. Well, grandkids, when they came, lived in NC and then we sold the house. Never cut one of those trees down even tho I kept them trimmed. That was the hard part about moving, too, the trees and the promise of the future they represented.

all full service here means is they pump your gas, you don't.
most around me are the small stations with garage service. you can ask them to check your oil, too. but they don't ever clean the windshields, i don't know why.
i like to patronize the little guys so i go there.
someday i'll ask why they don't use the squeegee on my window.

CL we had the last of the full service here in town close this past year and was recently raked down and isbeing sold for the prize location it is in (prob a CVS). It had the owners little brick rambler house next to it and they would come out and pump the gas, clean the windows and check the oil if requested. The only issue was it was cash only, so although everyone tried to give them business, I keep everyone on the cc for the biz here, so never went to them.
There were two gas stations across the street from it, but this little place was always full with the grannies who live around here.
There is another gas station, a small BP where it is not full service but the old guy owner comes out and talks to you while you pump your gas. He prob helps the grannies I don't know. He is more the central gossip-ier - as you pull in he comes out and says "Did you hear about..." then the next car he prob repeats what you said to them. It is very interesting if you are in the mood, which I never am. LOL!

CL we had the last of the full service here in town close this past year and was recently raked down and isbeing sold for the prize location it is in (prob a CVS). It had the owners little brick rambler house next to it and they would come out and pump the gas, clean the windows and check the oil if requested. The only issue was it was cash only, so although everyone tried to give them business, I keep everyone on the cc for the biz here, so never went to them.
There were two gas stations across the street from it, but this little place was always full with the grannies who live around here.
There is another gas station, a small BP where it is not full service but the old guy owner comes out and talks to you while you pump your gas. He prob helps the grannies I don't know. He is more the central gossip-ier - as you pull in he comes out and says "Did you hear about..." then the next car he prob repeats what you said to them. It is very interesting if you are in the mood, which I never am. LOL!
Good grief, just a walk thru town here is like that! If you slow down even just a little, you're there for an hour!

SS, here is a ((hug)). You need one now as you say goodbye to your "home". Wherever you lived, that was HOME. It will always be there in your memories and the oddest things will trigger those memories. You will never really lose it.
Forgot to add - yes, I definietely do remember those days of the give-aways. In 1963 if you got a sundae at the DQ it came in a WV Centenial glass. In the Chicago area, one gas station company gave out little squares of Soldier Field turf when it was being replaced for the Bears.
Our gas stations gave away glasses, Union 76, I believe. They also gave away styrofoam balls with their logo for the car antenna. Remember Blue Chip Stamps and S&H stamps?

Our gas stations gave away glasses, Union 76, I believe. They also gave away styrofoam balls with their logo for the car antenna. Remember Blue Chip Stamps and S&H stamps?
We did not have Blue Chip stamps but we did have Plaid Stamps competing with the S & H Green Stamps! Dreft had a dish towel in it. Many of he products had gifts inside - and then the Betty Crocker coupons actually DID save you money! My Hope Chest flatware and first set of pots & pans & skillet were bought with Betty Crocker coupons.

Back