What are the stupidest mistakes service professionals make...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have tossed the item out of my basket too. I'm not going to jump extra hurdles because THEY have a problem with their equipment and price marking.
Also drives me crazy when I approach a store clerk to ask for help and he/she continues a conversation with a workmate while I stand and stand.
I've been tempted to grab cell phones from sales people and throw them into the hardware section. I'm good at controlling my roadrage. Must learn to control my checkout aisle rage.
Poor service costs a lot of businesses dearly.

I thought the hope and potential for a good tip was supposed to, mostly, take care of service problems. Why does the system break down in some places?.
Arkansawyer said:
I thought the hope and potential for a good tip was supposed to, mostly, take care of service problems. Why does the system break down in some places?
Perhaps because A) they are too young to understand this or too new at the job; B) they've been doing it so long they no longer care; C) they've been screwed out of a tip so many times they don't rely on getting one.
There's the whole 'tipping food chain' to contend with also. Who tips the best? Guys on dates trying to impress the girl. Who tips the worst? Groups of women. The server has already determined what the tip will be so why bother. (Which is also why servers should never drape their lovely selves all over my DH when we're out, cuz you got it, I'm the one with the money.)
That's the working for tips mentality. The working for the pleasure of doing a good job is something else altogether and will get you good service no matter what tipping group you fall into.
Madeleine said:
"...Which is also why servers should never drape their lovely selves all over my DH when we're out, cuz you got it, I'm the one with the money."
My days of being draped are over, but what irritates me more than anything is for a southern waitress to call me "Hon" or "Baby". Their tip diminishes everytime they are overly familiar.
I don't think showing a customer respect is old fashioned, which is why I'm also irritated by telemarketers who call me by my first name.

I thought the hope and potential for a good tip was supposed to, mostly, take care of service problems. Why does the system break down in some places?.
Arkansawyer said:
I thought the hope and potential for a good tip was supposed to, mostly, take care of service problems. Why does the system break down in some places?
Perhaps because A) they are too young to understand this or too new at the job; B) they've been doing it so long they no longer care; C) they've been screwed out of a tip so many times they don't rely on getting one.
There's the whole 'tipping food chain' to contend with also. Who tips the best? Guys on dates trying to impress the girl. Who tips the worst? Groups of women. The server has already determined what the tip will be so why bother. (Which is also why servers should never drape their lovely selves all over my DH when we're out, cuz you got it, I'm the one with the money.)
That's the working for tips mentality. The working for the pleasure of doing a good job is something else altogether and will get you good service no matter what tipping group you fall into.
BTW went through the self check out at the grocery store last night. They have a person working that area as it never seems to scan things correctly, I had an issue with something marked 10 x $10 and it came up $2.50, the "girl" was off to the side texting. I approached her "are you working?" She said Yeah...then said you will have to go to the customer service desk. Huh? In the middle of my check out? Then she turned back and continued texting.
What did I do? Toss the item out of my basket. Not worth the hassle. Is it worth the time and hassle to get the manager over it? Nope. Never. You could do this all day...
Are you absolutely sure you want to continue to live there after you sell? You have THE worst service stories I have ever heard. Your grocery stories are amazing. DH does the shopping here and if the checkers don't see him for a few days they ask if he's been 'seeing other checkers at the OTHER store'? They know him and chat him up.
At the little grocery store down the street he gets free coffee.
If I've had anyone in a store around here pawn me off on someone else I can't remember when it was.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
"...Which is also why servers should never drape their lovely selves all over my DH when we're out, cuz you got it, I'm the one with the money."
My days of being draped are over, but what irritates me more than anything is for a southern waitress to call me "Hon" or "Baby". Their tip diminishes everytime they are overly familiar.
I don't think showing a customer respect is old fashioned, which is why I'm also irritated by telemarketers who call me by my first name.
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
I hired housekeeping here twice. Wait three times. None with a good result, the last one was on the front page of the paper...anywho - she called me Hon. Let's see I am older than you, I am your boss, you call me hon. Interesting. She was not southern.
The southern girls call me m'am as do the southern men, no matter what their age, old men call me m'am and it always seems odd. But it is what it is. While we're on the pet peeve moment the calling of me "guys" also is irritating. "Hi Guys!" "Ready to order guys?" "Everything okay guys?"
But as my Grandpa used to say, when someone called him Sir, or Mister he would stop them and touch their arm in a caring way and say "You don't need to call me sir or mister, just call me what everyone else does 'Crazy old bastard' "
teeth_smile.gif
and then laugh so hard he would snort coffee out his nose.
And sure enough they would walk away calling him that!

Arkansawyer said:
BTW went through the self check out at the grocery store last night. They have a person working that area as it never seems to scan things correctly, I had an issue with something marked 10 x $10 and it came up $2.50, the "girl" was off to the side texting. I approached her "are you working?" She said Yeah...then said you will have to go to the customer service desk. Huh? In the middle of my check out? Then she turned back and continued texting.
What did I do? Toss the item out of my basket. Not worth the hassle. Is it worth the time and hassle to get the manager over it? Nope. Never. You could do this all day...
Are you absolutely sure you want to continue to live there after you sell? You have THE worst service stories I have ever heard. Your grocery stories are amazing. DH does the shopping here and if the checkers don't see him for a few days they ask if he's been 'seeing other checkers at the OTHER store'? They know him and chat him up.
If I've had anyone in a store around here pawn me off on someone else I can't remember when it was.
I can tell you plenty of stories from everywhere I have lived. By the way in Australia they do not tip, so you can imagine my service stories from down under. They actually work for a wage like any job, so good service is not part of the requirement, apparently.

I'd have tossed the item out of my basket too. I'm not going to jump extra hurdles because THEY have a problem with their equipment and price marking.
Also drives me crazy when I approach a store clerk to ask for help and he/she continues a conversation with a workmate while I stand and stand.
I've been tempted to grab cell phones from sales people and throw them into the hardware section. I'm good at controlling my roadrage. Must learn to control my checkout aisle rage.
Poor service costs a lot of businesses dearly..
Arkansawyer said:
Most of them have no idea, tho, do they.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
That is a double whatchyamacallit... "DEAR" also means costly. :)

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
This is something I take in context. 'Hon' is something I expect in the south. And at a diner. 'You guys' is not something I expect anywhere, but it is rampant.
Telemarketers right, do not pretend you're my friend.

Arkansawyer said:
I can tell you plenty of stories from everywhere I have lived. By the way in Australia they do not tip, so you can imagine my service stories from down under. They actually work for a wage like any job, so good service is not part of the requirement, apparently.
My favorite tipping story was one my Mom told about when my aunt was a waitress in a "NICE" restaurant in Chicago during the Depression. The man left a puny tip (and she prided herself on GOOD service - plus it was expected at that restaurant or you did not work there) so she took the tip and handed it to him as he was leaving, telling him he obviously needed it more than she did. I was brought up that the ultimate insult to tell wait staff the service was totally bad, was to leave 2 cents on the dirty plate.
Too many people leave a tip because it is expected.

That's such a huge pet peeve with me - continuing to talk amongst themselves when a customer is in front of them. I get so irritated I can just imagine they can see the color of my face change. Of all the rudest and disrespectful things to do to a customer is to ignore them and act as if your buddy is more important... UGH!

That's such a huge pet peeve with me - continuing to talk amongst themselves when a customer is in front of them. I get so irritated I can just imagine they can see the color of my face change. Of all the rudest and disrespectful things to do to a customer is to ignore them and act as if your buddy is more important... UGH!
K9, do you see customers talking/texting on their mobile devices while they're checking out where you live? I think that's so rude also!

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
PT, I was invited to have lunch yesterday with a friend who has some family issues now. Speaking of overly familiar, our server proceeded to tell us that she had been to a doctor's appt that morning so that if she "was out of it", to please excuse her. She then went into great detail with my friend (who only knows her to speak to her at the restaurant) with exactly what her minor procedure was. I'm sorry, but it was beyond TMI. And I'm an RN!! I don't want to hear that when I'm trying to order a salad, thank you very much...

Arkansawyer said:
JB, I would have done the same...not worth the aggravation to find a manager. I totally don't understand how employees get away with texting at their jobs. Poor management is the only thing that I can think of...

I think it all stems from the top...owner/management. You know that if any of us owned those businesses that kind of behavior would not be happening!
We just came back from a trip and were wowed by the experience in one restaurant. This was a large place and from the moment we walked through the front door, we knew who was in charge. He expected excellence from his employees and that's what we got.
I once ate at a local place here. I ordered prime rib and it was terrible, so tough you couldn't chew it, the waitress asked how everything was and I told her. Here was her response "oh, next time you should order the sirloin, I'm eating one right now and it's so juicy and tender". I nearly threw my plate at her! She went back to the owner/manager and I could her the owner say "well, did she eat it?" in a nasty voice. I couldn't believe it! The answer was no, I didn't eat the prime rib or the rest of my meal because it was also disgusting. The waitress & owners' remedy was to offer me a free dessert. I told them I didn't want the free dessert, I HADN'T EATED DINNER YET!
All that was needed was to just bring me that juicy, tender sirloin. Sheesh. You can bet that I've never been back to that place and I tell all my guests to stay away. The waitress was obviously inexperienced, but the owner had no excuse.
It comes from the top.

K9, do you see customers talking/texting on their mobile devices while they're checking out where you live? I think that's so rude also!
Samster said:
I've had that here. This needs a separate topic page, be right back...

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
...what irritates me more than anything is for a southern waitress to call me "Hon" or "Baby". Their tip diminishes everytime they are overly familiar.
AMEN TO THAT! Drives me crazy.
And add sweetie and dear and anything else. I don't even like to be called sir. Just give me the facts or say thank you. No need to add a pet name.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
...what irritates me more than anything is for a southern waitress to call me "Hon" or "Baby". Their tip diminishes everytime they are overly familiar.
And add sweetie and dear and anything else. I don't even like to be called sir. Just give me the facts or say thank you. No need to add a pet name.
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
ahhhh Arks, come on, no pet names? haha
regular_smile.gif

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
I hired housekeeping here twice. Wait three times. None with a good result, the last one was on the front page of the paper...anywho - she called me Hon. Let's see I am older than you, I am your boss, you call me hon. Interesting. She was not southern.
The southern girls call me m'am as do the southern men, no matter what their age, old men call me m'am and it always seems odd. But it is what it is. While we're on the pet peeve moment the calling of me "guys" also is irritating. "Hi Guys!" "Ready to order guys?" "Everything okay guys?"
But as my Grandpa used to say, when someone called him Sir, or Mister he would stop them and touch their arm in a caring way and say "You don't need to call me sir or mister, just call me what everyone else does 'Crazy old bastard' "
teeth_smile.gif
I like Grandpa!!

How about oldtimer. Anybody would loved to be called that.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
teeth_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
The southern girls call me m'am as do the southern men, no matter what their age, old men call me m'am and it always seems odd. But it is what it is.
In proper Southern homes, children are taught to say "Yes, m'am" or "sir" under pain of death. It IS intended to be a show of respect.
"Hon", on the otherhand is being overly familiar and is considered inappropriate.

Back