Quantcast

What Constitutes a Hotel?

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

SweetiePie

Reaction score
Is this a new trend, to call yourself both a hotel and a bed and breakfast? This place is actually called The ______ Hotel and Bed and Breakfast. The funny part is they have all of one room. Hardly a hotel or B&B in my opinion. Seems like they are overreaching. It's brand new so will be interesting to see how long it lasts. We've lost quite a few places around here in the last year.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
Some like to over-reach to try to get better exposure in search engines. Many times I think it creates identity confusion or sets up false expectations.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could also bite them because as a hotel they fall under all sorts of nasty expensive requirements with Fire Codes - enclosed staircases, fire doors, sprinklers......

Mr.Design

Reaction score
It depends on how the city code is written. In some cities if you have under a certain number of rooms you're a B&B (or in a certain zone) Call themselves what they will, many places it comes down to the actual stats on the property.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
SweetiePie said:
Is this a new trend, to call yourself both a hotel and a bed and breakfast? This place is actually called The ______ Hotel and Bed and Breakfast. The funny part is they have all of one room. Hardly a hotel or B&B in my opinion. Seems like they are overreaching. It's brand new so will be interesting to see how long it lasts. We've lost quite a few places around here in the last year.
I found this online: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-bed-and-breakfast-and-a-hotel.htm
I don't necessarily agree with everything said however. I got a good laugh out of the part about B & B owners spend a significant time socializing with the guests....yeah? On what planet?

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
That's a question I've been asking myself about our new place. It calls itself a lodge, but it has 21 rooms and a restaurant and bar that's open to the public, with a CIA chef. We've toned down the "rustic" elements considerably and I'm wondering whether we'd be better off calling it a hotel.

wendydk

Reaction score
SweetiePie said:
I found this online: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-bed-and-breakfast-and-a-hotel.htm
I don't necessarily agree with everything said however. I got a good laugh out of the part about B & B owners spend a significant time socializing with the guests....yeah? On what planet?.
On my planet. When I compare the time I can and do spend chatting with guests, it's pretty significant compared to time spent with guests when I managed the hotel. So, I have to think "the part about B & B owners spend a significant time socializing with the guests" is compared to a hotel stay.
But then, I have only three rooms and no life to speak of, so it could just be me! In the beginning here, that balance of attentiveness and self-perceived intrusiveness was a fine line to walk, especially for my DH.

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's a question I've been asking myself about our new place. It calls itself a lodge, but it has 21 rooms and a restaurant and bar that's open to the public, with a CIA chef. We've toned down the "rustic" elements considerably and I'm wondering whether we'd be better off calling it a hotel..
Personal opinion here...if that big stone fireplace is still there and the exposed beams are, too, and the entryway to the rooms is where it was before, I'd leave it a 'lodge'. 'Hotel' is so much less personable, and good golly miss molly, no one would ever say you're not personable!
How's it going, BTW?

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
SweetiePie said:
I don't necessarily agree with everything said however. I got a good laugh out of the part about B & B owners spend a significant time socializing with the guests....yeah? On what planet?.
On my planet. When I compare the time I can and do spend chatting with guests, it's pretty significant compared to time spent with guests when I managed the hotel. So, I have to think "the part about B & B owners spend a significant time socializing with the guests" is compared to a hotel stay.
But then, I have only three rooms and no life to speak of, so it could just be me! In the beginning here, that balance of attentiveness and self-perceived intrusiveness was a fine line to walk, especially for my DH.
Little Blue said:
Consider yourself fortunate. I have 6 rooms and am a single proprietor. I can best be described as a whirling dervish and have little time to socialize with my guests or anyone else for that matter.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
That's a question I've been asking myself about our new place. It calls itself a lodge, but it has 21 rooms and a restaurant and bar that's open to the public, with a CIA chef. We've toned down the "rustic" elements considerably and I'm wondering whether we'd be better off calling it a hotel..
Personal opinion here...if that big stone fireplace is still there and the exposed beams are, too, and the entryway to the rooms is where it was before, I'd leave it a 'lodge'. 'Hotel' is so much less personable, and good golly miss molly, no one would ever say you're not personable!
How's it going, BTW?
It's going really well ..... but I wouldn't want to be Tony. The restaurant has really taken off with the locals which is a great relief.

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How's it going, BTW?
It's going really well ..... but I wouldn't want to be Tony. The restaurant has really taken off with the locals which is a great relief.
Good luck, it sounds fab!

SweetiePie

Reaction score
What's a CIA chef? Is he undercover or something?

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
LOL - that's what I said !!!! But DH insists that everyone knows it stands for Culinary Instituate of America. Thanks for making me feel a little less idiotic

wendydk

Reaction score
SweetiePie said:
Little Blue said:
Consider yourself fortunate. I have 6 rooms and am a single proprietor. I can best be described as a whirling dervish and have little time to socialize with my guests or anyone else for that matter.
Less fortunate than by design as a startup. I wanted to stay small enough that I could do it myself if I needed to (if, for instance, DH decides he wants out!). I knew I never wanted to have to hire staff, and I wanted to also be able to afford to stay here if we decided Innkeeping wasn't for us, or if it didn't work out for some other reason. A house much bigger with more guestrooms = bigger mortgage that we would not have been able to afford if the Inn was turned back into a residence by choice or by force.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Culinary Arts Institute or something like that:)

riverbendnewbie

Reaction score
I find at our B&B the guests are very chatty on their own--we don't impose but if they want to socialize with us then we reciprocate--afterall we are in the maritimes! The kitchen is social gathering room!

Copperhead

Reaction score
If the word lodge does not fit anymore, why not 'Inn' instead. I would stay away from hotel...just not a suitable title for such a wonderful looking place...
Hope things are going well.

Iris

Reaction score
Could it be called a Boutique Hotel? Isn't that the new word for very specialized fairly small properties?