What do you do if you forgot to charge a guest a required fee?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacpacker1

Reaction score
What do you do if you have a fee and you forgot to charge the guest on their invoice, but they have checked out yet? They paid their bill on check-in and we forgot to charge them the pet fee? Should we forget about it or should we tell them before check-out that we have a pet fee ($25) and we forgot to charge them but they do owe it? (and the got a discount to boot!)
Thanks.

If I've forgotten & made the mistake, then I don't go back & charge them.

I recently forgot to charge a guest for three nights in the garage. It's my error... I write it off, that's my policy.
If the guest left and didn't check out and there was a known balance outstanding, that I charge.
If you want some good karma out of it, send them a note saying that you forgot, but instead of charging you are simply going to ask them to pay it forward. Good will always has a way of finding it's way back.

If you didn't catch it while they were there, I would just take the loss unless it was a room night.

If they have paid and you forgot to add the charge you'll need to eat that one.
We did the same thing with a guest who had 3 in the room and we forgot to charge for the 3rd person. Same thing- she had gotten a discount and we forgot the charge. 3 nights, tons of laundry and we fed the person 3 breakfasts. We're VERY careful now to review the reg form and count noses before running the card.

Think you are out the $25. If it was $50 I would call them and mention you forgot and will send them the cc rcpt.

I agree... if the mistake was yours, eat the loss. I do like Eric's suggestion so letting them know, and asking them to pay it forward. It puts a nice spin on it.

Just have to point out how many of you are saying "Eat the fee", because it was your mistake (and I happen to agree you should do this)...but when the shoe is on the other foot and the GUEST made the mistake many are unwilling to enforce the innkeepers' policy.
Very interesting...

Just have to point out how many of you are saying "Eat the fee", because it was your mistake (and I happen to agree you should do this)...but when the shoe is on the other foot and the GUEST made the mistake many are unwilling to enforce the innkeepers' policy.
Very interesting....
Don Draper said:
Very interesting...
Actually I think we eat the fee everytime we do anything as innkeepers and I wish we wouldn't, we are businesses.

If the guest is still there and you caught it before they left or at breakfast-just tell them that in visiting at check in you did not charge for the pet fee and charged it this morning....if they left and then you caught the mistake-well then I would have to eat the cost.

You forgot, they forgot....Your mistake, their mistake.
Stuff happens......and people are not perfect.
I don't understand as to how quick some are to just shrug off the added fee or what ever......giving away doesn't pay the bills.
I can't tell you how many times I had forgot to charge a customer for something. A month or months later charge them for it, including a note.......never had a problem.
In this case, your guest is there....pull them aside, inform them of the omission and that you will be charging the fee seperately later today.
And if this was after they left......send them a letter and charge them.
These are you fees folks.......your money

I don't understand as to how quick some are to just shrug off the added fee or what ever......giving away doesn't pay the bills.
I can't tell you how many times I had forgot to charge a customer for something. A month or months later charge them for it, including a note.......never had a problem.
In this case, your guest is there....pull them aside, inform them of the omission and that you will be charging the fee seperately later today.
These are you fees folks.......your money.
One Day said:
One day, it is an additional charge, that is the reason why, when you are an innkeeper you will understand this, it is not the room charge, but an addtl fee for the dog, yes she should have charged it, yes she can go ahead and charge it now, or she can write it off to experience and let it go. She asked what we would do, that is what we would do. That is what I would do, I would say "too late they are gone" and not charge them. That is my honest answer, unless the fee was higher. See that is what you should have learned by now on this forum, innkeepers are suckers. Yeah on here it is all talk, but in real life we are super nice and suckers.
cry_smile.gif

One Day said:
One day, it is an additional charge, that is the reason why, when you are an innkeeper you will understand this, it is not the room charge, but an addtl fee for the dog, yes she should have charged it, yes she can go ahead and charge it now, or she can write it off to experience and let it go. She asked what we would do, that is what we would do. That is what I would do, I would say "too late they are gone" and not charge them. That is my honest answer, unless the fee was higher. See that is what you should have learned by now on this forum, innkeepers are suckers. Yeah on here it is all talk, but in real life we are super nice and suckers.
cry_smile.gif

Joey...
I completely understand
You're a sucker if you want to be.
How's this for an example......Stay at a hotel with a mini bar in the room......use the mini bar, those items are charged to your card......use the mini bar the last night of stay. You check out the next morning....those mini bar charges of the last night will be on your credit card..........Even though you checked out and long gone before housekeeping has been able to restock the mini bar and processed the items taken or used.
None of this has anything to do with being nice or not nice......be nice all you want..........business is business.......a fee is part of the business. No matter how small or large the fee is.

One Day said:
cry_smile.gif

Joey...
I completely understand
How's this for an example......Stay at a hotel with a mini bar in the room......use the mini bar, those items are charged to your card......use the mini bar the last night of stay. You check out the next morning....those mini bar charges of the last night will be on your credit card..........Even though you checked out and long gone before housekeeping has been able to restock the mini bar and processed the items taken or used.
None of this has anything to do with being nice or not nice......be nice all you want..........business is business.......a fee is part of the business. No matter how small or large the fee is.
One Day said:
WOW!
NO ONE HERE IS A SUCKER.
You've heard this a million times so I'll say it for the million and first...it doesn't matter if you have oodles of experience in retail, customer service, hotel...it matters NONE until this transaction/conversation is happening over YOUR breakfast table, with someone you hope becomes a return guest.
You know I'm all for sticking to policies but in this case the OP asked how to handle it, and we are giving our advice, FROM OUR EXPERIENCE AS INNKEEPERS.

One Day said:
cry_smile.gif

Joey...
I completely understand
One Day said:
WOW!
NO ONE HERE IS A SUCKER.
You've heard this a million times so I'll say it for the million and first...it doesn't matter if you have oodles of experience in retail, customer service, hotel...it matters NONE until this transaction/conversation is happening over YOUR breakfast table, with someone you hope becomes a return guest.
You know I'm all for sticking to policies but in this case the OP asked how to handle it, and we are giving our advice, FROM OUR EXPERIENCE AS INNKEEPERS.
no disrespect intended with the "sucker" comment.
It is what it is.....
I get it.....I truly do.....Innkeepers
Take the innkeeper hat off for a momment and what are you?......a business owner.
I take my landscaper hat off and what am I ?...........a business owner.
"Business" has expenses, of which must be paid by the $ coming in. "Business" also has to provide a profit.
I've been doing what I am doing for 35 years........What I've learned about business and the public. Hoping, wishing for something is nothing more than a dream. In your example, hoping a return guest. How many where a fee was waived has turned into a repeat guest ?.......How many when given notice of a fee waiver or what ever expressed gratitude ?......In these boards I have read postings where the "innkeeper" went over and above. Received no recognition what so ever.......how many postings where the guests felt it was expected, due them.
Yes....there are those that do express appreciation. Yet, how many do turn into repeat guests ?
I think it interesting when business practice is discussed, how quickly the "innkeeper" card is thrown out. As if the "innkeeper" is something different as it relates to business......or is it something to hide behind ?
That $25 pet fee.....may seem small to some.....That's a gallon of paint. Paint is something you all know about.
I do intend to leave landscaping and where I am located. It is my intention to purchase or start up a B&B....I've learned a great deal from these boards

One Day said:
cry_smile.gif

Joey...
I completely understand
One Day said:
It has everything to do with being nice or not. 100%.
When you have people IN YOUR HOME, eating your food at your table it is a diff scenario to a hotel. There is NO COMPARISON WHATSOEVER. This is what people don't get who are not innkeepers, unless you have them in your home that you have prepared for them, you can't get it. This is where the part sucker comes in, as this is a people business, many times we innkeep via our emotions. You have been here and read the stories. None of it is ever black and white. We tell each other stick to your policies and be black and white, but in reality when you have the person there in your home, it is not that easy.
As in sucker (for those who read that incorrectly, it means "I'm a sucker for a pretty face" etc, it doesn't mean idiot or drop kick)
IF that guest in the orig post had a dog PEE in the room, the fee would easily be charged plus a damage fee and this thread wouldn't even be here. But since the guests are gone, and enjoyed their stay and were probably lovely guests (as 95% of them are) then the discussion is broached.
This is hard to explain in type, you have to be there. I know if it were me I would have just waived the fee after the fact. And again, that is the truth. I am nice. I do those things, and no it is not good business sense, but I want the guests back!

Just a quick point but were they clean and tidy people with a clean and tidy dog? ie did you have to do extra work cos if so then definately charge. Also did they indicate they may be back? because if so then they may not expect to pay then either. its just a thought.

One Day said:
cry_smile.gif

Joey...
I completely understand
One Day said:
WOW!
NO ONE HERE IS A SUCKER.
no disrespect intended with the "sucker" comment.
It is what it is.....
I get it.....I truly do.....Innkeepers
Take the innkeeper hat off for a momment and what are you?......a business owner.
I take my landscaper hat off and what am I ?...........a business owner.
"Business" has expenses, of which must be paid by the $ coming in. "Business" also has to provide a profit.
I've been doing what I am doing for 35 years........What I've learned about business and the public. Hoping, wishing for something is nothing more than a dream. In your example, hoping a return guest. How many where a fee was waived has turned into a repeat guest ?.......How many when given notice of a fee waiver or what ever expressed gratitude ?......In these boards I have read postings where the "innkeeper" went over and above. Received no recognition what so ever.......how many postings where the guests felt it was expected, due them.
Yes....there are those that do express appreciation. Yet, how many do turn into repeat guests ?
I think it interesting when business practice is discussed, how quickly the "innkeeper" card is thrown out. As if the "innkeeper" is something different as it relates to business......or is it something to hide behind ?
That $25 pet fee.....may seem small to some.....That's a gallon of paint. Paint is something you all know about.
I do intend to leave landscaping and where I am located. It is my intention to purchase or start up a B&B....I've learned a great deal from these boards
I agree with what all the other innkeepers are saying. You have to remember that this kind of slip up happens rarely, and probably it's the only time the OP has forgotten. If it were a larger fee, then we probably would have a different opinion. I can bet you that if the OP won't forget this fee again! Lesson learned I would expect.

One Day said:
cry_smile.gif

Joey...
I completely understand
One Day said:
When you have people IN YOUR HOME, eating your food at your table it is a diff scenario to a hotel. There is NO COMPARISON WHATSOEVER. This is what people don't get who are not innkeepers, unless you have them in your home that you have prepared for them, you can't get it. This is where the part sucker comes in, as this is a people business, many times we innkeep via our emotions. You have been here and read the stories. None of it is ever black and white. We tell each other stick to your policies and be black and white, but in reality when you have the person there in your home, it is not that easy.
As in sucker (for those who read that incorrectly, it means "I'm a sucker for a pretty face" etc, it doesn't mean idiot or drop kick)
IF that guest in the orig post had a dog PEE in the room, the fee would easily be charged plus a damage fee and this thread wouldn't even be here. But since the guests are gone, and enjoyed their stay and were probably lovely guests (as 95% of them are) then the discussion is broached.
This is hard to explain in type, you have to be there. I know if it were me I would have just waived the fee after the fact. And again, that is the truth. I am nice. I do those things, and no it is not good business sense, but I want the guests back!
How do I get this across in words....
I know.....I know full well what you all say.....the people business, guests in your home. Dealing with all the personality types imaginable, etc, etc, etc...
Please......please don't take what I say in anyway as condemnation towards anyone....for whether they adhere to their policies or not. Be nice or not. Waive policy fees or not.
I to have company policies on the back of our contracts.....up to me to enforce them, or not..........I to am in the people business.
This is about the pet policy....and the fee that goes along with it...All have room rates that they charge, extra person in the room that is charged.......and now the pet fee, that is charged to the room......SOP in policies
A pet fee was mistakenly not charged to the room....it was forgotten........Don't be embarassed........the guests probably knew full well of the pet fee. after all it is in the policies (conditions to renting a room)....and would that guest with pet had not given advance notice that they are bringing along their pet ?
An obvious fee that should be charged to the room.......should be charged to the room....that would be like if a customer asked me to remove a shrub and I told them $50.....forgot to add to that months invoice.........do I just shrug it off ?..........I'm going to include in the next months invoice with a note that I forgot last month.........If I see a small dead plant.....and I can pull it out by hand...this is usualy not going on the bill.
We all have policies. We have them for good reason..........enforce them, or not....clearly your choice...............don't ever fear them. Or feel embarassed to charge the appropriate fees according to your policies.
Not easy to allways think of a home based business as a business all the time......it's personal.....it's part of you....and it is you that is the business.
What I found a couple decades ago......Business is business. Take care of the business, it will take care of you.......when thinking of what you do less as a business.....it becomes easier to be pushed over, taken advantage.......and that is also when the a-holes, pitas get under your skin.....and it tends to feel personal....this is why we have rules/policies...

One Day said:
cry_smile.gif

Joey...
I completely understand
One Day said:
How do I get this across in words....
I know.....I know full well what you all say.....the people business, guests in your home. Dealing with all the personality types imaginable, etc, etc, etc...
Please......please don't take what I say in anyway as condemnation towards anyone....for whether they adhere to their policies or not. Be nice or not. Waive policy fees or not.
I to have company policies on the back of our contracts.....up to me to enforce them, or not..........I to am in the people business.
This is about the pet policy....and the fee that goes along with it...All have room rates that they charge, extra person in the room that is charged.......and now the pet fee, that is charged to the room......SOP in policies
A pet fee was mistakenly not charged to the room....it was forgotten........Don't be embarassed........the guests probably knew full well of the pet fee. after all it is in the policies (conditions to renting a room)....and would that guest with pet had not given advance notice that they are bringing along their pet ?
An obvious fee that should be charged to the room.......should be charged to the room....that would be like if a customer asked me to remove a shrub and I told them $50.....forgot to add to that months invoice.........do I just shrug it off ?..........I'm going to include in the next months invoice with a note that I forgot last month.........If I see a small dead plant.....and I can pull it out by hand...this is usualy not going on the bill.
We all have policies. We have them for good reason..........enforce them, or not....clearly your choice...............don't ever fear them. Or feel embarassed to charge the appropriate fees according to your policies.
Not easy to allways think of a home based business as a business all the time......it's personal.....it's part of you....and it is you that is the business.
What I found a couple decades ago......Business is business. Take care of the business, it will take care of you.......when thinking of what you do less as a business.....it becomes easier to be pushed over, taken advantage.......and that is also when the a-holes, pitas get under your skin.....and it tends to feel personal....this is why we have rules/policies...
All you say is true! But...... In your business, your customers decide on quality, product and price. In the B&B business the decision to come back (or to recommend you) is also based on emotion (emotional bonding?). It is not easy to catch and preserve emotion, but I just don't like sending an invoice after the guest leaves, as it will be the last contact point..........

Latest posts

Back