What do you expect from a family business?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumitru

Reaction score
Do you get a positive or negative change of attitude towards a business when you find out it is family-owner and/or family-run?
For example your stationery supplier, the printing company or anyone else. Would you rather do business with a family business or you trust the bigger guys more?
I immediately recall the episode from "The Office" when they were fighting for clients that were going to move to bigger, corporate suppliers.
Please have your say :)

I think I cut the 'little guys' more slack. I expect things to be done right, of course, but if I know it's a mom & pop shop I allow a little more leeway if things go wrong. But, it's not indefinite. If the little guy doesn't supply the product as ordered I don't keep giving them chances. I may go to another small shop or give up and buy from Amazon. Or Hilton.
We like local restaurants. My parents never ate at local joints unless they were the only game in town. Their perspective was the corporate places had rules to follow, a structure that the small place didn't. Altho, Chipotle gives lie to that at the moment.
I used to have all my printing done locally until I realized he was sending it out and charging me a %. Now I just have him do the brochures and everything else I send out myself. I would have him do my notecards because he does those in house. And my envelopes. He does those, too.

I always prefer the personal contact of someone local if they are able to supply my needs at a competitive cost, if there is a problem it is so much easier to resolve if you can speak direct, worth paying a bit more if the service is good. Generally I'm selling that personal contact so hard to oppose that view when I'm the one doing the purchasing.

A saying going around now is, "if you want to live in a country that makes things, you need to buy things made in your country." One could apply the same logic at all scales -- if you want to live in an economically vibrant community, you need to do business within your community.
Another "meme" out there is that "when you buy from a family business you are helping a family feed its kids or send a child to college, rather than paying for a corporate CEO's 3rd vacation home or their private jet." (something like that.)
The first has more to do with "local" than "small" or "family" business, but the two are often (usually?) related I think.
Of course, family businesses come at all scales, too. The giant agribusiness, Cargill, with annual revenues well over $100 billion, is still wholly owned by members of the Cargill family...

I shop local - even if it is "big box" they are employing local - as much as possible. I get a lot of groceries at the local grocery (although the world's brother is getting more than I would like). I am not a "shopper" so online does not get much more than local shops. Even if the price is $5 - $10 more in town for an item (not talking groceries here), I buy in town - gas & time makes it cost the same. With my furnace, we decided if the town bid was within $500 we would stay in town. We did - and the service I get enforces that decision.

A saying going around now is, "if you want to live in a country that makes things, you need to buy things made in your country." One could apply the same logic at all scales -- if you want to live in an economically vibrant community, you need to do business within your community.
Another "meme" out there is that "when you buy from a family business you are helping a family feed its kids or send a child to college, rather than paying for a corporate CEO's 3rd vacation home or their private jet." (something like that.)
The first has more to do with "local" than "small" or "family" business, but the two are often (usually?) related I think.
Of course, family businesses come at all scales, too. The giant agribusiness, Cargill, with annual revenues well over $100 billion, is still wholly owned by members of the Cargill family....
OnTheShore said:
Of course, family businesses come at all scales, too. The giant agribusiness, Cargill, with annual revenues well over $100 billion, is still wholly owned by members of the Cargill family...
As is the biggie down the street, altho not in the $100b range.
Oh, and the sprawlmart place.

I shop local - even if it is "big box" they are employing local - as much as possible. I get a lot of groceries at the local grocery (although the world's brother is getting more than I would like). I am not a "shopper" so online does not get much more than local shops. Even if the price is $5 - $10 more in town for an item (not talking groceries here), I buy in town - gas & time makes it cost the same. With my furnace, we decided if the town bid was within $500 we would stay in town. We did - and the service I get enforces that decision..
I think my over50 status has re-enforced the preference to buy local. Relationships with local businesses and services are very good things when you need help in a hurry.
Plus in our area the best comestibles come from the local providers - fruit and veg, beef, lamb, fish and fowl.

I shop local and the small ones when I can. I have only bought five things off the internet so far. I want that camera shop to be there when I need my camera looked at. I want that family run hardware store to be there when I need this screen fixed now before the next guest arrives. Our hardware store is usually a few dollars more but its within half an mile from us.

I shop local - even if it is "big box" they are employing local - as much as possible. I get a lot of groceries at the local grocery (although the world's brother is getting more than I would like). I am not a "shopper" so online does not get much more than local shops. Even if the price is $5 - $10 more in town for an item (not talking groceries here), I buy in town - gas & time makes it cost the same. With my furnace, we decided if the town bid was within $500 we would stay in town. We did - and the service I get enforces that decision..
I think my over50 status has re-enforced the preference to buy local. Relationships with local businesses and services are very good things when you need help in a hurry.
Plus in our area the best comestibles come from the local providers - fruit and veg, beef, lamb, fish and fowl.
Yes, the relationships of "we are in this together" with locals works in our favor. IF I have a plumbing problem, I indicate it is something that can wait my turn or I have guests coming importance. I get put at the head of the line unless I DO have heat and the old ladies in town do not.

Anon Inn said:
We used to belong to a CSA but it was onerous. One day/week pickup, only certain veggies, etc. The farm where I get my berries for jam just posted a $200 buy in that gets you $250 in whatever you want to spend it on.
So if I wanted all berries, then that's where I spend my voucher. Much easier. I'm going to sign up tomorrow. It's farther away but they run a stand everyday so I can go when I have time.

Of course, family businesses come at all scales, too. The giant agribusiness, Cargill, with annual revenues well over $100 billion, is still wholly owned by members of the Cargill family....
OnTheShore said:
I looked up sprawlmart and they are a publicly traded company, although apparently members of the founding family do still (collectively) own a controlling majority of the shares.

OnTheShore said:
I looked up sprawlmart and they are a publicly traded company, although apparently members of the founding family do still (collectively) own a controlling majority of the shares.
OnTheShore said:
I didn't delve that far. Just saw Owned By: Walton Family and I stopped looking. I should not be a fact checker.

Back on topic, we have had guests reserve with us specifically because we were family owned and operated, and not part of some big corporate chain.

I shop local when I can and when they can help me stay within budget.
So here ... I was talking to a local printer about doing event brochures and the price was going to be higher than the big online place that I have used twice before. I would go to the somewhat local shop and pick up the (heavy) boxes of brochures saving on the shipping so it would be about the same and like a good idea to use local. Then they threw me a curve ball that they 'misquoted' ... adding $200 to the price. I told them I was sorry but the price was just too high for us ... and you could feel the ice in the air. That was a shame and I know they're disappointed but you'd think they'd still be polite. No. :(
Another printer outsources to vist a print. HA! Are you kidding me? The clue was the printer's business cards had the vist a print stuff on the reverse side. So I asked her if they did the printing. ummm, yes.

Back on topic, we have had guests reserve with us specifically because we were family owned and operated, and not part of some big corporate chain..
OnTheShore said:
Back on topic, we have had guests reserve with us specifically because we were family owned and operated, and not part of some big corporate chain.
Back off topic, slightly...we small guys refer to each other when we can't meet guests' needs. I've had quite a few calls come in telling me, 'Your manager/boss told me the main property is full but there are openings at the smaller location. You're all owned by the same company, right?'
What?

hmmmm ... Morticia, that's interesting. How do you respond? I'd be curious to know what the other place(s) are saying. Maybe 'We have another place down the street' meaning our town has another place down the street?

hmmmm ... Morticia, that's interesting. How do you respond? I'd be curious to know what the other place(s) are saying. Maybe 'We have another place down the street' meaning our town has another place down the street?.
seashanty said:
hmmmm ... Morticia, that's interesting. How do you respond? I'd be curious to know what the other place(s) are saying. Maybe 'We have another place down the street' meaning our town has another place down the street?
I usually ask where they called first to kind of get a sense who might be saying this. And the response is generally, 'The other B&B, the other one that owns this one.' Seriously, no one ever knows who else they called. I explain we're all independent owners who like to help each other out and what dates are they looking at.
Depending on whether or not they really wanted to stay at the place they called and are now wondering if this is what they want I might get a reservation. They had their hearts set on fireplaces and jetted tubs and fire pits so it's a tough sell.

Sorry, Dumitru = I want a personal relationship. I want a local business to remember me and maybe what I need and provide great service.

Your replies are in the range that I expected them to be. It all corresponds to most of the views I have seen in one very nice article on this topic, using "family business" in your marketing.
Do you people actually write "family business" on your websites, or is that understood from the context?

Back