What does it mean when a guest leaves a coin on the side table?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! A lot of people "answer" or simply speculate when they have no idea, don't they? I can tell you what my grandmother told me years ago. A single penny left in the room is a compliment, and means that you intend to return. It's pretty old fashioned, but I still do it.
If I were to speculate myself, the "lousy tip for lousy service" theory holds no water, since it's not always customary to leave a tip for maid service anyway.
I do leave a tip sometimes, for exceptional service, but that's in addition to the single penny..
Thanks so much for this explanation. I won't follow suit, because it could cause confusion or hurt, but if someone ever leaves a penny here I will be happy.
Anon Inn said:
Thanks so much for this explanation. I won't follow suit, because it could cause confusion or hurt, but if someone ever leaves a penny here I will be happy.
I seriously think that comment was from a spammer testing the waters.
The consult gave it away?

Wow! A lot of people "answer" or simply speculate when they have no idea, don't they? I can tell you what my grandmother told me years ago. A single penny left in the room is a compliment, and means that you intend to return. It's pretty old fashioned, but I still do it.
If I were to speculate myself, the "lousy tip for lousy service" theory holds no water, since it's not always customary to leave a tip for maid service anyway.
I do leave a tip sometimes, for exceptional service, but that's in addition to the single penny..
Anon Inn said:
Morticia said:
Why would a spammer test the waters by replying to a single post? Sheesh, the internet has made you suspicious! I actually joined the forum to reply to the question because I was feeling reminiscent about my grandmother, and wondered if anyone else followed this tradition.

Anon Inn said:
undersea said:
I'm a consultant, and my first name is Ben. Wait a tick, do you actually live under the sea?

Anon Inn said:
Morticia said:
Why would a spammer test the waters by replying to a single post? Sheesh, the internet has made you suspicious! I actually joined the forum to reply to the question because I was feeling reminiscent about my grandmother, and wondered if anyone else followed this tradition.
Because it happens so often here

Anon Inn said:
Morticia said:
benconsult said:
Morticia said:
Exactly. You found the forum how? By searching for how people leave a penny by the side of the bed to tell what a great stay they had and that they will be back? Or...using what search terms?
No one leaves a post on a long-dead thread that starts off with 'attitude' who doesn't already have an agenda. Yes, the internets have made me this way.
Explain who you are then we'll leave you alone.

Anon Inn said:
Morticia said:
benconsult said:
Morticia said:
Exactly. You found the forum how? By searching for how people leave a penny by the side of the bed to tell what a great stay they had and that they will be back? Or...using what search terms?
No one leaves a post on a long-dead thread that starts off with 'attitude' who doesn't already have an agenda. Yes, the internets have made me this way.
And it is almost always a person who comments the same day they joined.

Well, I am HAPPY and not worried about coins on the table because it is raining here after four days of the muggiest, hottest, most unpleasant unable to sleep weather without a/c.
It might rain now for four days but the garden is parched so I will take it.
I always heard that one penny alone left deliberately was an insult if there was no other 'tip' ... I'd rather that it be the other way 'round as I think it's a cruel thing to do.
ps I used to run what I called a seashanty! :)

Anon Inn said:
Morticia said:
benconsult said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
[Exactly. You found the forum how? By searching for how people leave a penny by the side of the bed to tell what a great stay they had and that they will be back? Or...using what search terms?
I don't owe you any explanations, and I have no agenda, spamming or otherwise, other than to offer an explanation of a behavior the OP had inquired about. I don't have an interest in continuing a line of conversation with an accusatory troll like yourself other than to defend myself. Since you seem an unfriendly group I will take my leave and read or post no further here. I'm sure you'll have some choice remarks to make behind my back. Whatever - Have fun.

Anon Inn said:
Morticia said:
benconsult said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
[Exactly. You found the forum how? By searching for how people leave a penny by the side of the bed to tell what a great stay they had and that they will be back? Or...using what search terms?
I don't owe you any explanations, and I have no agenda, spamming or otherwise, other than to offer an explanation of a behavior the OP had inquired about. I don't have an interest in continuing a line of conversation with an accusatory troll like yourself other than to defend myself. Since you seem an unfriendly group I will take my leave and read or post no further here. I'm sure you'll have some choice remarks to make behind my back. Whatever - Have fun.
benconsult said:
I'm sure you'll have some choice remarks to make behind my back. Whatever - Have fun.
Surprised you would think that it would be worth the effort. Not sure your intent, but you fell into several of the warning signs of those we see all the time.

Back