What does your reservation confirmation email subject line say?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of verbiage that will get the message through to guests...
In my confirmation, regarding check in time, I used to say "If you're in the area early, please don't come straight to the inn as there may be no one here or available to greet you."
Too many people figure they don't need a greeting and will just, I don't know, lounge around in the lobby until their room is ready.
I get fewer early arrivals since changing the wording to "If you're in the area early, don't come straight to the inn as there may be no one here or available to let you in."
Small change, but a big difference. :).
happyjacks said:
In my confirmation, regarding check in time, I used to say "If you're in the area early, please don't come straight to the inn as there may be no one here or available to greet you."
Too many people figure they don't need a greeting and will just, I don't know, lounge around in the lobby until their room is ready.
I get fewer early arrivals since changing the wording to "If you're in the area early, don't come straight to the inn as there may be no one here or available to let you in."
Small change, but a big difference. :)
or OTHER guests will let them in! (as happened yesterday). They were roaming around the place. PLEasE RING BELL is on the door for a reason people!
Great line about early check-ins. I may steal that....thanks, Happyjacks.
Just a quick hijack regarding guests letting people in. At around 8pm Friday....I called to see when the father/son were going to arrive (our check-in ends at 8, but I had known they'd be a bit late), and the wife/mom answered the phone and said they were taking a nap and hadn't left yet. Mind you, they were a 3 hour drive away.
So I explained where I would leave the key and a detailed note about how to find everything. She was taking notes and I thought she had it all right.
At 1 am they showed up at the WRONG DOOR looking for where I had left the key. They rang the doorbell (which I can't hear, thankfully) and some other guests who were up late went to the door. The beautiful part is, the newcomers explained through the door that they couldn't find the key and asked to be let in, and the guests said no way---instead, they suggested that they try looking at the other door and then told them how to get in touch with us if they couldn't find it. Now that's good customer service from my guests. So many others would have just let them in and that wouldn't have helped anything.
Thankfully you had very responsible guests this time :)

happyjacks said:
or OTHER guests will let them in! (as happened yesterday). They were roaming around the place. PLEasE RING BELL is on the door for a reason people!
Just a quick hijack regarding guests letting people in. At around 8pm Friday....I called to see when the father/son were going to arrive (our check-in ends at 8, but I had known they'd be a bit late), and the wife/mom answered the phone and said they were taking a nap and hadn't left yet. Mind you, they were a 3 hour drive away.
So I explained where I would leave the key and a detailed note about how to find everything. She was taking notes and I thought she had it all right.
At 1 am they showed up at the WRONG DOOR looking for where I had left the key. They rang the doorbell (which I can't hear, thankfully) and some other guests who were up late went to the door. The beautiful part is, the newcomers explained through the door that they couldn't find the key and asked to be let in, and the guests said no way---instead, they suggested that they try looking at the other door and then told them how to get in touch with us if they couldn't find it. Now that's good customer service from my guests. So many others would have just let them in and that wouldn't have helped anything.
Good on your other guests.
The door is locked for a reason people!!!
I have THAT on my confirmation "You MUST arrive on the day you have reserved" Pretty pathetic to have to put that in writing. If you do not arrive by the time the clock says it is the next day, they you are a no show. doh That was after that 3am episode last year.

happyjacks said:
Good for your guests! Totally proper answer and way to handle things!

happyjacks said:
Awesome of your guests! Our are forever letting people in...here, have a cookie, come see my room. Good I guess that they feel safe, but I get to be responsible when it goes south.
I am laughing, because I was looking on the computer for the note I had done up to remind people to lock the front door...it's saved under "Lock the Damn Door!".
Yeah, frequent issue...

happyjacks said:
So....what a difference a day or so makes. Fast forward to Monday. I've got a corporate group in who are gathering in the living room before going out to dinner. Someone rings the doorbell, and I start for the door, and they answer it and greet a local colleague and invite him in. A few minutes later, doorbell rings again...I start for the door and my guests answer it and say hello to the lady who's coming in, so I go to the kitchen.
I come out about 5 minutes later and the sweet lady is still standing there looking a bit confused. I introduce myself and ask her if she's here to meet her work mates for dinner. She says no, she was just hoping I had a room for the night.
Doh! Luckily, she's a sweetheart and we bonded quickly and she ended up staying and I'm confident she'll bring her husband back next trip to town. But these guys just let her in and turned their back.
Very frustrating for me. But I do always try to see things from my guests point of view. I don't imagine they thought much about letting her in....might have even thought they were doing me a favor.

happyjacks said:
So....what a difference a day or so makes. Fast forward to Monday. I've got a corporate group in who are gathering in the living room before going out to dinner. Someone rings the doorbell, and I start for the door, and they answer it and greet a local colleague and invite him in. A few minutes later, doorbell rings again...I start for the door and my guests answer it and say hello to the lady who's coming in, so I go to the kitchen.
I come out about 5 minutes later and the sweet lady is still standing there looking a bit confused. I introduce myself and ask her if she's here to meet her work mates for dinner. She says no, she was just hoping I had a room for the night.
Doh! Luckily, she's a sweetheart and we bonded quickly and she ended up staying and I'm confident she'll bring her husband back next trip to town. But these guys just let her in and turned their back.
Very frustrating for me. But I do always try to see things from my guests point of view. I don't imagine they thought much about letting her in....might have even thought they were doing me a favor.
InnBloom said:
They always think they are doing us a favor. And they're so proud of it. And want to be complimented on helpfulness.
The best deterrent I have ever heard to this 'nice' disease was in Savannah where we were told to not even leave the door unlocked to get our suitcases as the street people would be in the house in a flash. OK, that works better in a city than it would here.

Back