What information do you get when someone calls you ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sit really true, when someone damages something or steals something, you have no recourse ?.
Rolacoy said:
I sit really true, when someone damages something or steals something, you have no recourse ?
We had recourse because the guest was still here and they agreed to pay. If they had gone, not much I could do except send a bill. If it was totally trashed, I'd call the police to get a report filed and I'd take photos.

Rolacoy - Long term and short term rentals are too very different animals. Before going any further into ideas of opening a B&B get this straight in your mind.
Regarding damages - the only way you can SAFELY charge damages to a CC is to have the person there to SIGN for those charges as in the case of Bree's bed wetter. It is NOT that the CC company will not allow you to charge for the damages, it is the fact that the CC company will not back the merchant in a chargeback for such charges submitted after guest departure - without a signature on the reciept. I believe the only exception to this would be IF you had a signed policy statement that included your right to recover for damages, you could present for your rebuttal.

You cannot bill a credit card for damage or breakage. Unless the guest does not know that. The credit card companies will not allow it. I have friends who had a group break furniture get drunk and urinate all over a bed and ruin it. They could not charge the credit card. The company would not let them.
Riki.
I posted "...notify the guest". Like Bree said, when they are still there, then you can charge them & have them sign. If they had already departed and the damage was bad enough, I think I'd send a letter and do everything possible to recoup the damages since they had signed our policies on registration that mentions charges for damages, and that would include charging the card. To me, it would be worth a chargeback battle. Major damages are not normal "cost of doing business".

You cannot bill a credit card for damage or breakage. Unless the guest does not know that. The credit card companies will not allow it. I have friends who had a group break furniture get drunk and urinate all over a bed and ruin it. They could not charge the credit card. The company would not let them.
Riki.
I could be wrong and it depends on the cc proceessor, but most of them have in the contract that you cannot charge for damages. Period. I have too many innkeeper friends who have been in business for many years that have been told that when the chargeback comes.
Riki

I thought you had decided a B & B was not for you and that you were just going to try short rental?

Rolacoy - Long term and short term rentals are too very different animals. Before going any further into ideas of opening a B&B get this straight in your mind.
Regarding damages - the only way you can SAFELY charge damages to a CC is to have the person there to SIGN for those charges as in the case of Bree's bed wetter. It is NOT that the CC company will not allow you to charge for the damages, it is the fact that the CC company will not back the merchant in a chargeback for such charges submitted after guest departure - without a signature on the reciept. I believe the only exception to this would be IF you had a signed policy statement that included your right to recover for damages, you could present for your rebuttal..
I believe the only exception to this would be IF you had a signed policy statement that included your right to recover for damages, you could present for your rebuttal.
My understanding is as Riki described above, even if this is your policy and they sign it, A CC processor will not back it. A credit card can't be used to yank money back out of the pocket when we feel we need to. Now that doesn't mean that a large percentage of card holders wouldn't allow you to do it by not filing a chargeback. Many likely will let the charge slide, but some get upity and want to fight it. It is also important to keep in mind that if on repeated occassions the processor does not side with the business and finds that the business is not following the rules that say you can't hold onto card details, they can and do terminate their contracts with the business.

I am just used to having a deposit from my renters..
unrelated system note: Rolacoy, please check the email address you have assigned to your account. I am getting burried by notifications of
email bounce back said:
your-emailaddress at your-host,com
SMTP error from remote server after
RCPT command: host your host.com:
550 No Such User Here
Please go to "My Account" and put in a valid email address.

Regarding damages - the only way you can SAFELY charge damages to a CC is to have the person there to SIGN for those charges as in the case of Bree's bed wetter. It is NOT that the CC company will not allow you to charge for the damages, it is the fact that the CC company will not back the merchant in a chargeback for such charges submitted after guest departure - without a signature on the reciept. I believe the only exception to this would be IF you had a signed policy statement that included your right to recover for damages, you could present for your rebuttal..
I believe the only exception to this would be IF you had a signed policy statement that included your right to recover for damages, you could present for your rebuttal.
My understanding is as Riki described above, even if this is your policy and they sign it, A CC processor will not back it. A credit card can't be used to yank money back out of the pocket when we feel we need to. Now that doesn't mean that a large percentage of card holders wouldn't allow you to do it by not filing a chargeback. Many likely will let the charge slide, but some get upity and want to fight it. It is also important to keep in mind that if on repeated occassions the processor does not side with the business and finds that the business is not following the rules that say you can't hold onto card details, they can and do terminate their contracts with the business.
I'm sorry but I'm not sure that this is true & maybe folks need to investigate it with their individual processor to be sure. I think that it will depend on your policies and documentation. Trust me, a hotel would not hesitate to charge a guest for major damages!!! I'm not sure that people should just roll over on this. But that is just my 2 cents.
I know that a large B&B here has charged for damages & continues to do so & the charges have not been disputed and there hasn't been a problem with their processor. We talked about it when we talked about referrals back & forth.

Back