What is it about stairs and guests from certain places?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I'm going to start requiring guests from certain 'flat' states to fully read our 'Arrival' email and allow them to cancel without fault if our stairs are too much for them. Our 'Arrival' email has a link to a hidden page on our site that has a photo of the stairs you MUST walk up in order to get in the house. (You can walk the long way around if you can't abide stairs -- slight incline on the sidewalk.)

Other guests from the same state hated the stairs so much they wrote multiple one-star reviews about them, at one point calling me a liar when I said the stairs had been completely redone.

How can I get across to guests from states that don't have stairs in their homes, or anywhere else, that this is a hilly state and almost all of our houses, buildings, museums, etc have stairs? (From time to time we've been asked to install an elevator.)

Now this is a set of stairs someone could complain about!

stairs.JPG

And they always claim the stairs are too steep, even if they are the standard rise per step. I'm in the process of a rehab that's adding a 6th rental unit for me, and my architect wisely worked in a landing half-way up a stairway like this. We could do it since it's new construction. You could not.

My sympathy. Your reasonable climb will always be considered unreasonable by the flat state people. I live in the Arkansas hills, so understand completely.

I went and checked and it shows the arrival email was viewed 8 times in the past 3 days.

Isn't that feature great? To be able to see that they have opened the email. I've had them say they didn't get arrival instructions when I know they have, multiple times.

Exactly the comment - too steep! And, they are definitely to code as they are only five years old. There are TWO landings before you get to the door! And handrails.

And, no, I am not touching anyone's suitcase!

PS - the stairs in the photo I posted are from a place I stayed in NV. Those stairs go up two storeys with no relief. Then you had a long, narrow hallway before the next flight. Only found out from other guests the next day that if we had been told about the parking lot in the back of the hotel, we would already have been at the top of that flight of stairs when we went in.

I'm not supposed to carry anything over 10kg. So, no, I won't do your luggage.

People are so sedimentary today in some places that stairs are a challenge. Our main picture of the house shows the stairs to the main floor that are outside.

I'm not supposed to carry anything over 10kg. So, no, I won't do your luggage.

People are so sedimentary today in some places that stairs are a challenge. Our main picture of the house shows the stairs to the main floor that are outside.
‘Sedimentary,’ is perfect, if not exactly what you meant. ;)

Heck, I’ve been so sedimentary this year I’m now in PT!

I'm going to start requiring guests from certain 'flat' states to fully read our 'Arrival' email and allow them to cancel without fault if our stairs are too much for them. Our 'Arrival' email has a link to a hidden page on our site that has a photo of the stairs you MUST walk up in order to get in the house. (You can walk the long way around if you can't abide stairs -- slight incline on the sidewalk.)

Other guests from the same state hated the stairs so much they wrote multiple one-star reviews about them, at one point calling me a liar when I said the stairs had been completely redone.

How can I get across to guests from states that don't have stairs in their homes, or anywhere else, that this is a hilly state and almost all of our houses, buildings, museums, etc have stairs? (From time to time we've been asked to install an elevator.)

Now this is a set of stairs someone could complain about!

View attachment 36
I Get it. Our house was built in 1864 by ship-builders so the stairs to the second-floor suite are narrow and steep. Thankfully we are not taking reservations any more in the house so it is no longer an issue and it made a good selling point to nudge guests to book the more expensive first-floor suite! Although I made sure to emphasize the stairs before I would even offer the suite, there were many times when guests would stand at the bottom upon arrival and look witheringly up at the stairs to comment "You said they were steep....and they sure are!"

I guess I’m lucky as I have three rooms upstairs and two without stairs but I mention that the rooms are upstairs and so far nobody has been nasty about it. (I can carry luggage though to avoid them scraping walls). A one star review because of stairs is unbelievable- most B&B’s are historic so expect stairs! When I finally retire I’ll be so glad to not be reviewed anymore..

I helped guests with their luggage to avoid banging up the walls. We had a lot of stairs in our 1908 house but two landings - people didn't complain because they could rest, twice! Haha! We built our new home with an upstairs. A bunch of folks in our 55+ community said we were cRaZy because they never wanted to do stairs again. Whaaaat? The stairs are good for most folks, especially now. But I do understand that a lot of folks have knee and hip joint issues. Totally agree that people have gotten too sedentary and the pandemic hasn't helped that for many folks.

I always offer to carry bags for ladies and elderly gentlemen (it's the Southerner in me). Most of the time they take a pass, but when accepted I always let them go first -- in case it slips or I lose my balance.

I have offered in the past to carry bags. (I’m from the South Bronx, does that count?) However, I am no longer going anywhere near guest luggage, guest cars, or into guest rooms. I should check that I make that very clear in my arrival info.

Back