What is it with smokers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is a smoker. It is a total pain in the backside but she is unwilling to quit so she has to do all kinds of extra walking to find a place she can smoke. All smokers in the US are pretty used to this. Pretty hard to claim you didn't know you couldn't smoke in the room. You can't smoke indoors anywhere..
toddburme said:
Pretty hard to claim you didn't know you couldn't smoke in the room. You can't smoke indoors anywhere.
A bit of a shocker to me when I looked up the regs here, but you CAN smoke in hotel rooms here. I'd been telling everyone you can't until I went to find the exact wording. This is one of 5 exemptions to the reg:
5) Smoking is not prohibited in motel or hotel rooms that are rented to members of the public.
Probably, Maddie, unless there is a caveat by the owner of the property for designated non-smoking rooms. There's probably no regulation that states that the hospitality property owner can not designate all rooms as non-smoking - large properties do it.
Just bringing up the point that some people may assume it's ok to smoke at a B&B because they were allowed to do so in a hotel somewhere else in the state.
We clearly state 'non smoking' and I will tell guests where to smoke if I see them smoking or smell smoke on them when they arrive. I'm very sensitive now to cig smoke. (After living 18 years with parents who smoked and another several years with a husband who smoked. And, hanging out in bars for eons where everyone smoked!)
On our last trip to VA our whole party basically ordered, ate and left the restaurant we were in after about 20 minutes because I was shallow breathing to avoid inhaling too deeply all the cig smoke around us. After that we looked for restaurants that specifically stated on the front door 'no smoking'. However, not much is open on a Sunday in VA, so choices were limited.
We have a large sign in every room with the cigarette symbol and a cross over it and by law we have to have a no smoking sign on the front and back doors - believe me there is no way you could argue they didn't know.

Back