What is worse?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We serve breakfast from 8 to 10. Depending on the number of people in the lodge (we've had as many as 28, but we'll never do *that* again), we serve either buffet or do table service.
We also offer a "first tracks" breakfast for people who want to get an early start skiing or hiking or fishing or climbing mountains. It's pretty brainless: juice, coffee, cereal, and leftover muffins, bread, and sundry we've frozen and can nuke for just this purpose.
Regarding late check-in, we're pretty easy, as well. The lodge is 4 miles from the nearest town on mostly dirt/snow-packed roads. Late check-in usually is because of circumstances (dark, blizzards, avalanches, dead moose on the road) beyond their control.
Last year, Julie took a reservation for two couples from the UK. They had rented a condo for a week at the resort, but needed a "bridge" night and booked us. Funny, delightful people; Julie was in stitches telling them about our amenities and the food. "What about cake?" one asked. "Nigel loves cake." It was a running joke over multiple phone calls. Julie promised them cake. Then, the day their plane landed in Denver, we had a winter storm. Dumped about a foot of snow on us, and as they crept up I-70, they discovered that an avalanche had closed Berthoud Pass. Well, they were in a quandary, and called us to apologize for being so late. "No worries," we assured them and suggested that, since the weather was bad, they just find lodging for the night and we wouldn't charge them for the night.
An hour later, (about 9:30 p.m.), they called us again and said, since we had been so nice, they were determined to spend the night with us. They were going the "long way around" and should be at the lodge by midnight.
"$h*t!" I exclaimed when Julie told me. "That means I have to bake a damn cake tonight!"
Which I proceeded to do. They showed up in the middle of a horizontal blizzard, we fed them cake and gave them tea, then sent them off to bed.
It was a funny event. They were most appreciative and have sent us business.
So many weather "acts of God" affect when people show up that we're pretty blase about the whole affair as long as they communicate. If they don't communicate, well then, our policies kick in, and they find a big whopping charge on their credit card. We're nice, but we're not pushovers. --Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
Regarding late check-in, we're pretty easy, as well. The lodge is 4 miles from the nearest town on mostly dirt/snow-packed roads. Late check-in usually is because of circumstances (dark, blizzards, avalanches, dead moose on the road) beyond their control.
Yikes. I've heard a lot of excuses for being late, but thankfully not "dead moose in the road". I'm thinking that would put the road out of service for awhile!!
InnBloom said:
HighMountainLodge said:
Yikes. I've heard a lot of excuses for being late, but thankfully not "dead moose in the road". I'm thinking that would put the road out of service for awhile!!
Oh, it does. A year ago last October one Tuesday evening, I was coming home from a choir rehearsal in Denver. It was close to 10 o'clock, and when I got to the top of Berthoud Pass (US Hwy 40), I found myself in bumper to bumper traffic--unheard of at that time of night and not ski season. The traffic crept down the pass, and about halfway down, I drove past a moose corpse with antlers sticking in the air higher than my car. It had had an unfortunate encounter with a Toyota, and neither the Corolla nor the moose had fared well. The holdup was because some good-ole-boys in a pickup were arguing with the CDOT workers and the Highway Patrol because they wanted to field dress the moose before the carcass was carried away.
Julie was wondering what took me so long to get back to the lodge, because of course, cell phones don't work on the pass. I explained my predicament, and we both decided that we weren't in Denver anymore.
Field-dressing road kill is about as close as we get to recycling up here.
--Tom
I've been stuck on I-70 many times in years gone by, but never because of a moose. Good story....

Back