What sort of deal?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better yet, it's 4 rooms on a Saturday of a holiday weekend. Yeah, like I'm even going to take a one nighter at full price much less a discount.
Or, this one - how much is the room? I quote a price. WHAT? How come it isn't (insert winter rate here), isn't it winter up there? Yes, rez for this week. It's winter here folks. No matter what the calendar says. (This is why I hate the media that spent all Labor Day weekend telling the world the state was closing down on Monday. "Season's over folks, nothing to see here, might as well wait until next May to come here. We're closed for business. See ya!")
Both of them were very condescending during the stay as well. Kind of like that pearly gates scene where St Peter asks you to justify your existence before you get in. Spare me..
The more they ask for a discount, the more of a PITA they are going to be, because they want to get their money's worth on their perception of it. Count your silverware, check your glasses, did they take the sheets?
Sugar Bear said:
The more they ask for a discount, the more of a PITA they are going to be, because they want to get their money's worth on their perception of it. Count your silverware, check your glasses, did they take the sheets?
A group booking is here tonight. When I walked in from the store there were 6 phone messages (I have the door sign that says Check in begins at..." and that's it. "Uh B&B this is Maureen Smith...remember we booked four rooms a month ago, I have the confirmation" The sign does not say GO AWAY WE ARE ON VACATION, it says CHECK IN BEGINS AT... and it doesn't say 12:57pm! or 1:32pm or 1:45pm or 2:04pm or 240pm!"
I already emailed Maddie to say SHE IS BEING THOUGHT OF HERE TODAY. :) They are PITAS before they even arrive...they will leave no drawer unopened, no doors latched...
Good Grief...what part of read do they NOT UNDERSTAND??? So, it is 4 pm..are they there yet?
EmptyNest said:
Good Grief...what part of read do they NOT UNDERSTAND??? So, it is 4 pm..are they there yet?
asst innkeeper was ready, tuckered out but ready. She was on the porch and when they came around she said hello and welcome. Holding the door for them...one (you know his nickname now) says "oh, you mean we can go in!?"
sarcasm only ticks people off dude
Joey Bloggs said:
...one (you know his nickname now) says "oh, you mean we can go in!?"
sarcasm only ticks people off dude
Amen! And there are so many who just HAVE to say something they think is clever for every situation that comes up. I want to taser them every time they do it.
tazers - the way forward

Someone knocked on the door the other night, nealry fell over backwards when I told her the rate.
Said "Isn't there somewhere cheaper around here", so I sent them to the Tra velod ge. Ha! That'll teach them..
Highlands John said:
Someone knocked on the door the other night, nealry fell over backwards when I told her the rate.
Said "Isn't there somewhere cheaper around here", so I sent them to the Tra velod ge. Ha! That'll teach them.
Sure there is cheaper......."Here is a tent! That will be $89.00. If you want a bathroom you will need to rent a room!"

I let people camp outside, cyclists, if nothing else it often generate food/drink business.
I will let them use the shower, if asked nicely.

I LOVE this forum. Nobody understands the weirdness an innkeeper gets like another innkeeper. We get the ones who show up at 2 a.m., and after we get up, get dressed, and grope our way into the office want a discount. Uh, no. There is also another inn in town with a very similar name. We don't like it when their guests show up in the wee hours either. When people ask for a senior discount, I usually tell them I'm a senior trying to make a living. We do give discounts, but not when people are being rude and demanding. I guess their mama never told them you catch more flies with honey than vinegar...
AND after 12+ years, we are on the market also.

It's just a continuation of the consumer magazines/websites/articles telling people "it never hurts to ask for a discount...the worst that will happen is they will say no".
Don't worry about telling people no, there is no discount. They're expecting it and prepared for it.

No deals. It cheapens what you/we do.
We often have people call and announce that they are planning on renting all of our cottages for a family reunion. My hair stands up in the back of my neck at that statement.
Brazing myself for the question "what sort of deal can you make us?" My answer: we will charge the amount for an extra night for each cottage, because when you leave, we have to repair, clean up a hellofamess, have extra garbage, broken toilet seats, missing pillows, missing blankets and we've had to put up with your noise and crap for what, 2 days you only want to stay? Not happening. You take all the cottages for one week and you will pay extra for the pleasure. blech.
We do not like family reunions and will not let you get away with anything. so there.

It's well know that groups booking the whole place make more mess and use more expendable supplies than a house full of strangers. They should be charged MORE, not less, for booking multiple rooms!
But of course they won't understand that. They think they're doing us a favor by bringing in lots of business. Their discount is that they are not hit with a surcharge for coming!

Love this!! we just had a guy ask us if I book 2 days what kind of deal can I have.
Question what service would you like us to drop Breakfast... comphy bed to sleep in ....ummm just a bed and no on suite..... No views...at same time I am thinking ( gesh really man!!) He could not answerer that question as I said then you expect to have all.!!! I am sorry I will not low my hard work for a deal! I love what I do and deserve to be paid for my services.
Oh I think you should try expedite you might find just the deal you want at a motel or maybe the hotel up the street.. I work long hard time to earn my money. Please try one of the discount lines. I am sure you will find a lovely hotel or motel that will meet your needs. Plus remember you have to buy breakfast. ...and you must add that to your deal. Thank you for calling us I wish you the best of luck. Good day Sir.

I LOVE this forum. Nobody understands the weirdness an innkeeper gets like another innkeeper. We get the ones who show up at 2 a.m., and after we get up, get dressed, and grope our way into the office want a discount. Uh, no. There is also another inn in town with a very similar name. We don't like it when their guests show up in the wee hours either. When people ask for a senior discount, I usually tell them I'm a senior trying to make a living. We do give discounts, but not when people are being rude and demanding. I guess their mama never told them you catch more flies with honey than vinegar...
AND after 12+ years, we are on the market also..
Nobody understands the weirdness an innkeeper gets like another innkeeper. [/quote said:
Yep you fit in LOL Welcome

upinntheriver said:
Some people don't seem to get the supply and demand logic that the owner might give you a discount if there's some benefit to the business owner. It's like people who think we should charge less for their children in the summer, even though they're occupying the space that I could fill with adults paying full price. People who knock on the door at 3pm in August and then say "Is that your best price?", why would I reduce my rate when I'm virtually guaranteed that by 6pm the room will be taken. Yes, I'll happily give seniors a discount, if they come and stay in January or February.

upinntheriver said:
If we have not met yet, WELCOME!
Or if you are under a new id here, hello!
You sound like me, but you aren't so I don't know you I don't think, but I like ya alot already!
thumbs_up.gif

[h3]
"Nobody understands the weirdness an innkeeper gets like another innkeeper" stick that on a tshirt![/h3]

We have decided that if we get a couple of phone calls and no one is biting on the price AND we want to fill up, we lower the price. It works. We know what the 'price' is in each season. We charge more than that but we'll go down to that price if we want to.
Last night we had guests who paid the same lower rate here as they did to stay in a luxury accommodation in another state. Here they got $25 off, there they got $125 -$200 off depending on what room they got. They even said they thought maybe the guy just wanted to fill up as they couldn't believe the price when they got inside. (I looked it up. Rooms range from $250-$350, they paid $150.)
I seriously hope they do not do reviews. I can't compete charging the same price as a mansion on the water.

Back