"What time can I check-in?"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bree, this was just a general comment, not directed at you personally! Trust me, there is just ONE of me, with a few hours of "housekeeping" (haha) help a week, and I work 2 other jobs as well. There are so many Innkeepers that have never had hotel experience that sometimes these little tips may help them. May be why my business grew 80% in the first year over the first year and 15% a year thereafter. I am up at 6 and in bed at 1am, 7 days a week, .. I UNDERSTAND.

Bree, this was just a general comment, not directed at you personally! Trust me, there is just ONE of me, with a few hours of "housekeeping" (haha) help a week, and I work 2 other jobs as well. There are so many Innkeepers that have never had hotel experience that sometimes these little tips may help them. May be why my business grew 80% in the first year over the first year and 15% a year thereafter. I am up at 6 and in bed at 1am, 7 days a week, .. I UNDERSTAND..
agoodman1963 said:
Bree, this was just a general comment, not directed at you personally! Trust me, there is just ONE of me, with a few hours of "housekeeping" (haha) help a week, and I work 2 other jobs as well. There are so many Innkeepers that have never had hotel experience that sometimes these little tips may help them. May be why my business grew 80% in the first year over the first year and 15% a year thereafter. I am up at 6 and in bed at 1am, 7 days a week, .. I UNDERSTAND.
If you are up at 6am and in bed at 1am 7 days aweek - then you must be a robot, you know that a half hour at 2 or 3 pm is the only thing keeping you PHYSICALLY out of hospital. If I don't have a half hour to stretch out I would need traction. I AM YOUNG-ER-ISH than most innkeepers. Well let's just say I AM NOT OLDISH.
These are not hotels, they are our homes, and we are not hired help, we need to take a break SOMEWHERE IN THERE or we lose it. That equates to CHECK IN IS AT CHECK IN TIME. Capiche? I am saying this to the invisible guests, like the ones today who showed up when I finally got the grime off and had a nice shower. They showed while I was in the shower or course, even though confirmation states no early check ins.
I know they are tired and hungry from the road. Showing up early and taking my time when I have a wee half hour to myself is not advisable whether their room is ready or not.

Bree, this was just a general comment, not directed at you personally! Trust me, there is just ONE of me, with a few hours of "housekeeping" (haha) help a week, and I work 2 other jobs as well. There are so many Innkeepers that have never had hotel experience that sometimes these little tips may help them. May be why my business grew 80% in the first year over the first year and 15% a year thereafter. I am up at 6 and in bed at 1am, 7 days a week, .. I UNDERSTAND..
agoodman1963 said:
6 a.m. to 1 a.m.? You're a better woman than me. The 1 a.m. part is OK... but I need to average 8, 8-1/2 hours. Too many nights in a row without and things go downhill. In July, yeah, I'm probably looking at 5 a.m. to midnight, but eventually I have to nap to catch up.
There's one of me and four guest rooms. Plus a wonderful dh who helps out after working long days. Plus two almost five-year-olds who run wild from neglect on busy days. (Well, maybe not that bad, but I wish I spent more time with them.) Yesterday I had a guest who sweetly agreed to check in at 4 instead of 11. Thank goodness! It took every spare minute to get the work done before the guests arrived (first couple at 3), but I didn't get the cookies made until well after 5, almost 6 p.m. By the time we went out for dinner I told dh I didn't care where we went as long as I could sit down and have someone else bring the food to me.
When I first started my attitude was, well, I'm here, why not just let people in if they come early? The answer is because I'm still going full steam, trying to get it all done, and the time I take to check them in (even if it's only 10 minutes) throws me off. I forget things, or I get that much more behind. And if they're friendly and chatty, they'll want a lot more of my time than 10 minutes.
And if, by some miracle, I actually have all my rooms ready before check-in time (I'm new... maybe someday it could actually happen!) then that time is the chance I have to actually SIT down, check email and webervations, have a bite, make sure my kids are still alive and nothing's irrevocably destroyed in the family room... oh yeah, and visit the little room with a lock on it. I need that time! (Thank you SS for helping me to understand it before I got here. Now I know it the hard way, too.) Heck, if I knew they wouldn't show up early, I could concievably take a nap! (Unfortunately, that's the best way I know to make the doorbell and/or phone ring.)
So, like I say... you're a better woman than me! Three jobs on 5 hours of sleep? I couldn't do it. Well, maybe when I was 20, but not anymore.
How many years have you been in business? How many rooms do you have? Are you at 100% occ yet?
=)
Kk.

agoodman1963 said:
If you are up at 6am and in bed at 1am 7 days aweek - then you must be a robot, you know that a half hour at 2 or 3 pm is the only thing keeping you PHYSICALLY out of hospital. If I don't have a half hour to stretch out I would need traction. I AM YOUNG-ER-ISH than most innkeepers. Well let's just say I AM NOT OLDISH.
These are not hotels, they are our homes, and we are not hired help, we need to take a break SOMEWHERE IN THERE or we lose it. That equates to CHECK IN IS AT CHECK IN TIME. Capiche? I am saying this to the invisible guests, like the ones today who showed up when I finally got the grime off and had a nice shower. They showed while I was in the shower or course, even though confirmation states no early check ins.
I know they are tired and hungry from the road. Showing up early and taking my time when I have a wee half hour to myself is not advisable whether their room is ready or not.
Robot, hmm that's a new one. Zombie. Exhausted. Surviving. I do the B&B stuff, do my other jobs, get ready for the next B&B day. Repeat next day. I don't think I am unique with this situation as a single Innkeeper. I handle it. I have been in the hotel business for 25 years so working 7 days a week is nothing new to me.
Actually, a lot of people, Innkeepers or not, are pretty much running on empty. Was it Oprah or Doctor Phil that asked their audience if they were exhausted most of the time and about 80% said yes.
Send me the winning lotto numbers, or a rich handyman and I'll keep you updated with my new more serene night. And with that thought, I am off to prepare the dinners for my guests for Sunday and Monday.
Have a great week Yall!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (from the sleepy one!)

agoodman1963 said:
6 a.m. to 1 a.m.? You're a better woman than me. The 1 a.m. part is OK... but I need to average 8, 8-1/2 hours. Too many nights in a row without and things go downhill. In July, yeah, I'm probably looking at 5 a.m. to midnight, but eventually I have to nap to catch up.
There's one of me and four guest rooms. Plus a wonderful dh who helps out after working long days. Plus two almost five-year-olds who run wild from neglect on busy days. (Well, maybe not that bad, but I wish I spent more time with them.) Yesterday I had a guest who sweetly agreed to check in at 4 instead of 11. Thank goodness! It took every spare minute to get the work done before the guests arrived (first couple at 3), but I didn't get the cookies made until well after 5, almost 6 p.m. By the time we went out for dinner I told dh I didn't care where we went as long as I could sit down and have someone else bring the food to me.
When I first started my attitude was, well, I'm here, why not just let people in if they come early? The answer is because I'm still going full steam, trying to get it all done, and the time I take to check them in (even if it's only 10 minutes) throws me off. I forget things, or I get that much more behind. And if they're friendly and chatty, they'll want a lot more of my time than 10 minutes.
And if, by some miracle, I actually have all my rooms ready before check-in time (I'm new... maybe someday it could actually happen!) then that time is the chance I have to actually SIT down, check email and webervations, have a bite, make sure my kids are still alive and nothing's irrevocably destroyed in the family room... oh yeah, and visit the little room with a lock on it. I need that time! (Thank you SS for helping me to understand it before I got here. Now I know it the hard way, too.) Heck, if I knew they wouldn't show up early, I could concievably take a nap! (Unfortunately, that's the best way I know to make the doorbell and/or phone ring.)
So, like I say... you're a better woman than me! Three jobs on 5 hours of sleep? I couldn't do it. Well, maybe when I was 20, but not anymore.
How many years have you been in business? How many rooms do you have? Are you at 100% occ yet?
=)
Kk.
I have to throw my two cents in here just to make the point that in our experience, if you allow people to bend the rules (e.g., allow an early check-in despite what your policies say), these are the guests who will then try to bend EVERY rule that you have...they will ask for late check-out, special breakfast time, etc., etc., etc.
This goes back to the thread "When running an Inn is like raising kids"...if you give an inch they will try to take a foot, every time. Some people just feel compelled to see what they can get away with, just for the sake of it.
We do not allow early check-ins even if the room is ready (usually we're not even back from the grocery store, bank, etc. before our 2 pm check-in time starts anyway, so even if the room is ready the guest isn't getting in), and we charge $25/hour for late check-out. We try to make our policies and the rationale behind them known, so most guests will eventually "get it", and even if they don't like the answer if they understand the "why", they do not leave upset. In fact, most of them leave with a greater appreciation of what we do.
Bottom line, customer service is our top priority, but our policies exist for a reason and if we don't adhere to them we become our own worst enemies.

Welcome..but sorry...if I had to work 3 jobs and stay up for those hours, I would have closed years ago. 7 years of doing this as a "lifestyle" B & B was enough for me. You wear me out just reading your posts. Sorry but I don't think it is worth it. Good luck to you!

agoodman1963 said:
=)
Kk.
I have to throw my two cents in here just to make the point that in our experience, if you allow people to bend the rules (e.g., allow an early check-in despite what your policies say), these are the guests who will then try to bend EVERY rule that you have...they will ask for late check-out, special breakfast time, etc., etc., etc.
This goes back to the thread "When running an Inn is like raising kids"...if you give an inch they will try to take a foot, every time. Some people just feel compelled to see what they can get away with, just for the sake of it.
We do not allow early check-ins even if the room is ready (usually we're not even back from the grocery store, bank, etc. before our 2 pm check-in time starts anyway, so even if the room is ready the guest isn't getting in), and we charge $25/hour for late check-out. We try to make our policies and the rationale behind them known, so most guests will eventually "get it", and even if they don't like the answer if they understand the "why", they do not leave upset. In fact, most of them leave with a greater appreciation of what we do.
Bottom line, customer service is our top priority, but our policies exist for a reason and if we don't adhere to them we become our own worst enemies.
InnsiderInfo said:
"Give them an inch and they think they're a ruler."

it's a tough call!
if i had a couple days with practically no one, i could accommodate an early or late check in, etc. the bottom line is still the bottom line and you need guests to survive. but you also have to decide how far you can bend and when. because the goal is to be booked up and then you need that schedule!
i have had folks show up very early with 'hopes' ... maybe because the word INN is in my name ... hoping that i'll have a place they can relax and use the bathroom and stow the luggage, hoping that i have a small staff who can help them with whatever. and not understanding how this little place works. and there is another place in the area that does have a staff and is much more flexible with checkin.
i try not to freak at the guests ... not make them feel like they made a mistake to book with me. i have stepped outside (in all my messy glory) to smile and explain and to help them put their luggage in the library, etc. and then i tell them to please come back in a while when the place will be ready. i hopefully rant and act crabby just in here!
wink_smile.gif

agoodman1963 said:
Robot, hmm that's a new one. Zombie. Exhausted. Surviving. I do the B&B stuff, do my other jobs, get ready for the next B&B day. Repeat next day. I don't think I am unique with this situation as a single Innkeeper. I handle it. I have been in the hotel business for 25 years so working 7 days a week is nothing new to me.
Actually, a lot of people, Innkeepers or not, are pretty much running on empty. Was it Oprah or Doctor Phil that asked their audience if they were exhausted most of the time and about 80% said yes.
Send me the winning lotto numbers, or a rich handyman and I'll keep you updated with my new more serene night. And with that thought, I am off to prepare the dinners for my guests for Sunday and Monday.
Have a great week Yall!
Hi
did I read right, you make dinners for your guests as well?
OMG how do you do it girl?
Most b & b s are not permitted to make dinners. Does your license allow you to make more than breakfasts? Not that I would ever ever ever want to do that.

it's a tough call!
if i had a couple days with practically no one, i could accommodate an early or late check in, etc. the bottom line is still the bottom line and you need guests to survive. but you also have to decide how far you can bend and when. because the goal is to be booked up and then you need that schedule!
i have had folks show up very early with 'hopes' ... maybe because the word INN is in my name ... hoping that i'll have a place they can relax and use the bathroom and stow the luggage, hoping that i have a small staff who can help them with whatever. and not understanding how this little place works. and there is another place in the area that does have a staff and is much more flexible with checkin.
i try not to freak at the guests ... not make them feel like they made a mistake to book with me. i have stepped outside (in all my messy glory) to smile and explain and to help them put their luggage in the library, etc. and then i tell them to please come back in a while when the place will be ready. i hopefully rant and act crabby just in here!
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
it's a tough call!
wink_smile.gif
I have no idea what it is...but I feel a quote coming on...something to the effect of "If the guests play by the rules they will be rewarded with a happy innkeeper" not sure how to word it, but since each guests feels they are the one and only guest we ever deal with and have no idea the reason we have CHECK IN TIMES (that includes arriving before checkin time and arriving past midnight with no phone call) all of this upsets the apple cart. Innkeepers need sleep, we are mere humans. We also need to eat, doo doo and shower. We need time to do these things! (sorry to be graphic, but that can be an issue when you never have a minute to yourself!!!!)

agoodman1963 said:
Have a great week Yall!
Hi
Most b & b s are not permitted to make dinners. Does your license allow you to make more than breakfasts? Not that I would ever ever ever want to do that.
knowlesl said:
Hi
Some places can... it depends on local regulations and what permits or licenses a B&B has pursued. Here in Ohio I can make dinners, not only for guests but for others as well. Maybe someday I'll start offering those, but not anytime soon!
Another B&B near here does afternoon teas... very elegant and beautiful.
It all depends.
=)
Kk.

Sorry I missed the question earlier but yes I do dinners (mostly for guests and sometimes non guests, with advance notice (4 days) ... and on occassion with none... I can always make sandwich....).
Initially I was doing only a couple a month, but there are so few decent places to eat (we have one very casual Suthin' style place, Huddle House, a Pizza franchise and some other fast food).
My permit allowed me to do breakfasts and eyes would have been closed to any other "minor" meals, but (1) as my requests grew and (2) as the National Safeserv regulations are changing in 2009, my Health Inspector advised that if I wanted a food service permit it was better to apply for it now, which I did. I don't do any frying or grilling, but I do everything from packed lunches to light, and then 4-course candlelit dinners, as well as some ladies and business lunches. I don't have an alcohol permit. I serve a comp glass occassionally and tell guests they may bring their own " for reasonable consumption". Would love to have an alcohol permit. Lots of $$. Too much liability. It won't happen.
How? I don't know. It's a service for my guest, and they love not having to go riding around to get something after a long drive. If we had some nice restaurants in town, I would not feel the need to do them. I cover my costs and make a little.
Occassionally one has a "night" - like last night. Hardly ever happens. Grown son (50+) and (very elegant) mom are traveling. 2 full rate rooms. I had checked and given him some options - as well as checking for allergies and dislikes) and he said crab cakes. So it was going to be salad, crab cakes, sweet potato and asparagus w/hollandaise, and desert. Suddenly got cold so I made soup and decided Soup, and then crab cakes on salad. Mom says what's for dinner? I tell her. Oh no she says, I am gluten intolerant. I cannot eat anything spicy. Need veg. etc. Sigh. Pulled some salmon out. Went Also added 3 other guests that were just sharing the pot of soup (which was more like stew so nice and warming). Added 3 places. Everyone had a blast, they were out on the porch until 11. I was exhausted. Mom/son added 2 books from the gift shop. He left early this morning so no breakfast and she is just having a light one later (saves on my time and my breakfast cost).
End result. Total bill is $300 for their 2 rooms. They are happy and since he has a farm in the area will now be staying with me rather than where they used to stay. Planning on bringing back wife.
Going back to my original point (the newbie is sticking her neck out here...). I don't promise early check-ins. My website and conf are clear. Reiterate on telecons. If their room is ready they can do an early check-in. I have never had one problem. I have never had a guest try to take advantage of that (like a 7-11am) arrival. If the room is not ready they can come in, use the downstairs toilet, leave their bags, help themselves to coffee)
And I have never had a guest abuse a late check out time. I have never had a guest try to go to a dirty room and if I did extend a check out time, and if it ever happens that they are still in the room, and that is the last room to clean, I would knock on the door and tell them I need to make up the room.
Each to his own!
cheers.gif
, hoping you all have a wonderful weekend.

Back