What type of B&B did you envision?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Utra high for 8-9 months? Is there a place like that out there? Just curious. You also have to consider if it is worth keeping your doors open and heat on for the few stragglers that may come in..
A few places come to mind. Stowe, VT being one of them. Slammed from May to Oct, time off in Nov until it snows. Slammed from Christmas until March or so, provided it is cold enough to make snow or for natural snow. March & April pretty quiet.
That sounds ideal......down time twice a year between the high seasons.
I love snow......should say, used to love snow :)

Will also add that we thought we wanted to be a year-round business, so bought in a year-round location. The year-round location turned out to be not so much a really year-round venue so now we're wistful we didn't buy in a 3-season location so we could close for a few months each year and just relax.
That is probably the one thing we did not think clearly about- working 365 days/year. I don't know how we missed that wee, small fact of never having a day off, ever, unless we planned it to death, but we did. Now that our town is not really year-round any longer, we realize how much those slow months are needed for sanity's sake..
Yeah.......24/7/365 sounds great.....with employees
Doing what I have been doing 30+ years......I get the down time during the winter......winter gets a little long. It's a great time for doing things around the house..inside ofcourse.
I was actualy thinking of flipping my down season......summer slow and busy winter.....this I'm not sure where or how this is possible.
Down time........days off here and there are a must
Get into snow removal for a busy winter and slow summer.
wink_smile.gif
You might have to move. But you did get hit with some snow last winter didn't you?

I envisioned a much more upscale B&B than I own. However, I'm much more comfortable with what I have vs what I thought I wanted. So, yes, changed the course I was headed on and made my life a lot simpler!.
Did you settle....or it just worked out this way?
Where you say...made your life a lot simpler.....can you elaborate a bit?
Upscale is also a perception...not necessarily a tangible thing

SInce our interest was in wine and history I picked a location that had both. We didn't have any extra money so needed to be in an area that already was drawing tourists. Here we have the university, three presidents' homes, and wineries. I did not realize that in ten years the wines would leap up in quality as it has which is resulting in a lot of press.
We could not afford to buy our property today. Lucky in our timing.
We are drawing the crowd we wanted - wineos come in all ages. Mostly middle price to upscale. Lots of anniversaries, birthdays, etc.
What surprised me was the number of people coming during the week for the one day wine tour stay. But there are lots in nearby DC in government jobs who ca adjust their 40 hour work week to take a day off.
So we get romantic, and getaway from the kids, and older.
RIki.
I understand the target marketing.......do you feel you have a high success rate?
Boy......There's a lot I have to consider in regards to location..this is key to marketing.
I have little tolerance for drunks...happy folks sure......drunks, no way.

I envisioned a much more upscale B&B than I own. However, I'm much more comfortable with what I have vs what I thought I wanted. So, yes, changed the course I was headed on and made my life a lot simpler!.
One Day said:
I thought I was settling, at first. Now, years down the road, I realize what I had in mind was not who I really am at heart. Realizing that made life simpler because now I provide what I am comfortable providing and I have stopped trying to make myself over into someone I am not. I have also stopped trying to make my partner into someone else and he has amazed me by becoming what I tried to push him into earlier. He just needed to do it at his own pace. And he has done it amazingly well.
What I do now is to cater to myself. Odd as that may sound. And I've found there are a lot of people out there just like me. They like what I like and they come back because they're comfortable here. The ones who want more upscale or more relaxed go elsewhere. But it's ok. Because the guests who tried the more upscale or more casual and didn't like it, then come here. Exchange of guests.
As long as you don't pick a really obscure subset of clientele to market to, I've found being myself is the best thing I can do for my guests and for myself. Now if being yourself tends to scare small children and dogs, you might not be cut out for innkeeping. Not you personally, that's a general 'you'. (I do scare small children, but my partner does not, so we're balanced in that way.)

Will also add that we thought we wanted to be a year-round business, so bought in a year-round location. The year-round location turned out to be not so much a really year-round venue so now we're wistful we didn't buy in a 3-season location so we could close for a few months each year and just relax.
That is probably the one thing we did not think clearly about- working 365 days/year. I don't know how we missed that wee, small fact of never having a day off, ever, unless we planned it to death, but we did. Now that our town is not really year-round any longer, we realize how much those slow months are needed for sanity's sake..
Doing what I have been doing 30+ years......I get the down time during the winter......winter gets a little long. It's a great time for doing things around the house..inside ofcourse.
I was actualy thinking of flipping my down season......summer slow and busy winter.....this I'm not sure where or how this is possible.
wink_smile.gif
You might have to move. But you did get hit with some snow last winter didn't you?
yeah......I had downsized our snow operations.......I can't take the stress....I watch an approaching storm the day before....stay awake all night awaiting it's arrival.....then go out for what can be 16, 18 on occasion 30 hours straight....being so wired that it takes up to a day to relax and several days to get back to normal.
break down of trucks and equipment...drivers that can be uncooperative.....subscontractors, that are not always reliable, there euipment breaks down......Clients that think they are the only ones you are responsible for.
I don't understand how with a 8, 10 or more inch storm....so many just have to get to work....I'm talkin office people.........and when did people stop dressing for the weather?......when did women stop wearing boots to get to work.....what makes them think that heels are snow weather footwear....guys to.....do they not make rubbers anymore ?

wink_smile.gif
yeah......I had downsized our snow operations.......I can't take the stress....I watch an approaching storm the day before....stay awake all night awaiting it's arrival.....then go out for what can be 16, 18 on occasion 30 hours straight....being so wired that it takes up to a day to relax and several days to get back to normal.
break down of trucks and equipment...drivers that can be uncooperative.....subscontractors, that are not always reliable, there euipment breaks down......Clients that think they are the only ones you are responsible for.
I don't understand how with a 8, 10 or more inch storm....so many just have to get to work....I'm talkin office people.........and when did people stop dressing for the weather?......when did women stop wearing boots to get to work.....what makes them think that heels are snow weather footwear....guys to.....do they not make rubbers anymore ?
One Day said:
This is a totally different topic but no one wants to be thought of as dispensable any longer. We're getting more like the Japanese salaryman everyday. You can't take off because it snowed because your boss will be at work and wonder why you are not. I used to live on a mountain where we could get 2-3 feet of snow in a storm. 25 miles away, where I worked, on the other side of the mountain, it could be sunny with no snow. Absolutely no one ever believed me when I would call and say my car was buried. Or that my road hadn't been plowed yet.
As for shoes, I don't get it either so I'm no help there. Luckily for me, I have always lived in a place where hiking boots or real snow boots were totally acceptable footwear for women. Even with a dress.

One Day said:
I thought I was settling, at first. Now, years down the road, I realize what I had in mind was not who I really am at heart. Realizing that made life simpler because now I provide what I am comfortable providing and I have stopped trying to make myself over into someone I am not. I have also stopped trying to make my partner into someone else and he has amazed me by becoming what I tried to push him into earlier. He just needed to do it at his own pace. And he has done it amazingly well.
What I do now is to cater to myself. Odd as that may sound. And I've found there are a lot of people out there just like me. They like what I like and they come back because they're comfortable here. The ones who want more upscale or more relaxed go elsewhere. But it's ok. Because the guests who tried the more upscale or more casual and didn't like it, then come here. Exchange of guests.
As long as you don't pick a really obscure subset of clientele to market to, I've found being myself is the best thing I can do for my guests and for myself. Now if being yourself tends to scare small children and dogs, you might not be cut out for innkeeping. Not you personally, that's a general 'you'. (I do scare small children, but my partner does not, so we're balanced in that way.)
hahahaahaha.....yeah, yeah, yeah.......
.........cool
Thanks for being open and honest in your reply. I do appreciate it.
No worries about dogs.....and I've had cats be friendly where their owners flat out stated their cat is never friendly to anyone......kids, I don't know?....they like me........why?.......probably easier to find the answer to why we are here.

wink_smile.gif
One Day said:
This is a totally different topic but no one wants to be thought of as dispensable any longer. We're getting more like the Japanese salaryman everyday. You can't take off because it snowed because your boss will be at work and wonder why you are not. I used to live on a mountain where we could get 2-3 feet of snow in a storm. 25 miles away, where I worked, on the other side of the mountain, it could be sunny with no snow. Absolutely no one ever believed me when I would call and say my car was buried. Or that my road hadn't been plowed yet.
As for shoes, I don't get it either so I'm no help there. Luckily for me, I have always lived in a place where hiking boots or real snow boots were totally acceptable footwear for women. Even with a dress.
I hadn't thought of it from the Japanese perspective. You're right.........Sad. Sad to see where our society has progressed to.

Utra high for 8-9 months? Is there a place like that out there? Just curious. You also have to consider if it is worth keeping your doors open and heat on for the few stragglers that may come in..
A few places come to mind. Stowe, VT being one of them. Slammed from May to Oct, time off in Nov until it snows. Slammed from Christmas until March or so, provided it is cold enough to make snow or for natural snow. March & April pretty quiet.
We are also like that. High Season for us is Thanksgiving through the middle of April (coincides with the Winter Park ski season). Then we have mud season until mid- to late-May. June, July, and August are mountain biking, weekly music festivals, and then by mid-September we're busy again with aspen color tour people. October for us has been slow, but not as slow as we expected; haven't gotten nearly as much maintenance accomplished as we had planned. Then the pool boiler went out {sigh}.

So the question is IF we had a choice, given what we know now, what sort of inn would we have?
I would have a place that accepted dogs and was dog friendly, so there would be space to run and dog areas. So perhaps upscale cabins (not raw cabins that would invite hells angels, so the price point would be higher than a reg cabin rental and the decor more upscale - yet guest friendly). Guest quarters with individual entrances and porches/decks. I would have one outdoor hottub in a visible yet scenic area. I would have individ heating/a-c per unit. But I would still enjoy a common breakfast room, maybe a barn.
Sounds like I am going more rusty (rustic) in my old age. :)

wink_smile.gif
One Day said:
I hadn't thought of it from the Japanese perspective. You're right.........Sad. Sad to see where our society has progressed to.
One Day said:
Sad to see where our society has progressed to.
That's debatable :(

So the question is IF we had a choice, given what we know now, what sort of inn would we have?
I would have a place that accepted dogs and was dog friendly, so there would be space to run and dog areas. So perhaps upscale cabins (not raw cabins that would invite hells angels, so the price point would be higher than a reg cabin rental and the decor more upscale - yet guest friendly). Guest quarters with individual entrances and porches/decks. I would have one outdoor hottub in a visible yet scenic area. I would have individ heating/a-c per unit. But I would still enjoy a common breakfast room, maybe a barn.
Sounds like I am going more rusty (rustic) in my old age. :).
I'm happy with where we have brought this place. If I were to change anything, I'd have more common space and a bigger dining room. More places for guests to congregate and get to know each other. Slightly bigger rooms. More hired help. I don't know how many aspirings think along these lines, but having help is what allows you to increase your business. Without the help you are stuck with a business as big as you can handle. I don't think many of us signed up to do all the grunt work, but most of us do. That's the part that makes it a hard life to stay with.
In that way, more than thinking about what sort of B&B model you wanted, from the guests' perspective, think about what kind of life you want to lead. What does your day look like from your POV, and then figure out how to make that work.
A book that is making the rounds here, Confessions of a Breakfast Diva, is about a couple who open a B&B where they want to live. But they hire everything out. 2 rooms and she has a housekeeper clean them. All the food comes from big box stores like Costco. Essentially, they are not running a B&B so much as having people in to pay for their lifestyle choice.
Two different ways of looking at this business- you want to own a B&B because you like the idea of having people in your home and showing them what your area has to offer; you own a B&B because you want to live in a particular place and this is how you're going to pay for it.
There are other models, but there are 2 of them for you right there.

As has been discussed endlessly in the past, I feel that you should open the type of Inn that you enjoy staying in when you travel...one that will attract guests that enjoy the same things that you do.
Gillumhouse and I have both said that we would not choose to stay in a "dripping vic", nor would I EVER want to own and run one. Just don't want to deal with persnickety upscale demanding older guests, stress about coffee cups on the spindly period furniture, have to dress up to do my job...etc...but that's just me.
I like the young active couples who are into microbreweries, hiking, skiing and the like....I knew the size and style of the Inn I wanted, and had a general idea of the kind of guests I wanted..pet-loving, casually dressed people like me. And, although few innkeepers believe it when I say it...I must have chosen correctly, because in 7.5 years, I only had one or two BAD guests.
Even though we were small, and very casual (and made no bones about it on the website and in our marketing materials), we got far more than our fair share of honeymooners, anniversaries and birthday stays....all our kind of people. Alot depends on the area where you will open, of course....but I still say...go with what you like and what you know...go with the kind of guests that you will enjoy having.

An anniversary couple this morning. Nice young couple from DC. They stayed at Peaks of Otter Lodge the night prior and said it was like a prison. I laughed and asked them why, cinderblock walls?
They said "Yes, that and they try to make it "seem" rustic, so while there are no tv's or phones, there is also no alarm clock or cell service so we couldn't even set our cell phones as an alarm. We slept with the curtains drawn so we wouldn't oversleep the next morning."
This is a place that is maximizing some amazing hikes/views and in itself is not worth the stay. The marketing draws them in like flies however, and the guests leave disappointed. They have an average dining experience at best, a lagoon type lake and that's that. People stay once and never go back and they are fine with that...the revenue stream is steady.
peaks of otter.com
So stay with us, in town with amenities and you can drive to your hiking spots/waterfalls/mountain vistas! :)

The thing is it changes, while I agree with you W, it changes, we change. We never fully know an area until we live there, so then we can make adjustments as we go.
Last week (or the week prior) I think I mentioned your Dripping Vic as we had guests who stayed at one just north of us, and when I asked him about it (he was a British TV star who lives in the US now and brought his folks here to see the Fall leaves) He replied it was unique or something like that, and when I asked further he said "There was stuff everywhere! Designer stuff, but all pink, frilly and victorian...every inch of every space" and I laughed as I know that inn and said "Would hate to have to dust it all!" and that was all.

An anniversary couple this morning. Nice young couple from DC. They stayed at Peaks of Otter Lodge the night prior and said it was like a prison. I laughed and asked them why, cinderblock walls?
They said "Yes, that and they try to make it "seem" rustic, so while there are no tv's or phones, there is also no alarm clock or cell service so we couldn't even set our cell phones as an alarm. We slept with the curtains drawn so we wouldn't oversleep the next morning."
This is a place that is maximizing some amazing hikes/views and in itself is not worth the stay. The marketing draws them in like flies however, and the guests leave disappointed. They have an average dining experience at best, a lagoon type lake and that's that. People stay once and never go back and they are fine with that...the revenue stream is steady.
peaks of otter.com
So stay with us, in town with amenities and you can drive to your hiking spots/waterfalls/mountain vistas! :).
This is the comment in TA that really caught my eye. It describes exactly what you said JB... "I came to the hotel with trepidation, because of the reviews I'd read on TripAdvisor. Not expecting much, I was still slightly disappointed. Location is about all it has going for it." The reviewer than describes the buffet breakfast that was $40 for 2 people.
B&Bs are a great value!

peaks of otter.com
So stay with us, in town with amenities and you can drive to your hiking spots/waterfalls/mountain vistas! :).
This is the comment in TA that really caught my eye. It describes exactly what you said JB... "I came to the hotel with trepidation, because of the reviews I'd read on TripAdvisor. Not expecting much, I was still slightly disappointed. Location is about all it has going for it." The reviewer than describes the buffet breakfast that was $40 for 2 people.
B&Bs are a great value!
Breakfast Diva said:
B&Bs are a great value!
Why does anyone put themselves thru that? Bad reviews, but let's go anyway? Maybe it'll be different for us? Maybe our standards are lower?

peaks of otter.com
B&Bs are a great value!
Breakfast Diva said:
B&Bs are a great value!
How odd, I have never seen reviews with Every category picked! How strange, for the reviews they have a little of everything. Most bad, though.
One reviewer said "Reviews range between "wonderful" and "Warning". Granted the Peaks of Otter lodge is convenient and has nice views, but oh the rooms! I like rustic, but this is just old and worn with peeling paint and bathrooms circa 1950. The worst, however, were the (tissue) paper walls. We heard every cough, sneeze and various other (unmentionable) sounds. "
ha ha "looks like a bunker..." that is too funny.
location location. No wonder our guests loved their night here. It is more for hotel guests than B&B people, so what can we say, sad to be disappointed and waste $. Our couple weren't rich, he works at Starbucks and they saved for this special anniv getaway. I gave them a card and flowers and a fantastic candlelight breakfast so I am glad to hear we could make it special for them!

I know places like that baffle me as I have mentioned the guest house next door to me is basically a dump but people keep booking. It is all over laterooms, bookingcom and trip adviser it is not any kind of secret like in the old days. Was walking to the shop with my husband and an older well dressed couple stopped us and asked directions to there and I was tempted to say sorry I don't or at least give them my card and say "just in case" I felt sorry for them but on the other side of it I don't if you see what I mean!

Back