What was an adventurous breakfast you've served?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently made GF biscuits, expecting they would be crumbly. Surprise- they turned out great and, although they fell short of my regular biscuits, they were good and didn't crumble. Using buttermilk made a big difference and shaving the frozen butter in instead of my usual way of cutting it in was easy to do. The main flour was garbanzo, with some Bob's GF mix. I have to find some xanthan gum.
GF is not that big of a deal here because we have so much fresh fruit year round and rice is a local staple.

If you want a breakfast adventure, there was the time I was taking a 2 qt casserole dish of spinach/swiss eggs (tasty dish by the way) from oven to table and as I started to put it on the table, it slipped from my hand onto the arm of the guest where it dumped on its way to the floor! I had to drag him into the kitchen to put his arm under the cold water faucet and practically hold him down to put burn cream on him. Turned my back and he disappeared - his wife said he went up to change his shirt. He would not even let me wash the shirt (I think he rinsed it in the tub). The adventure was a lot of fingernail chewing on my part waiting for the lawsuit - never came. (And I was so new I could not even afford to comp their room!) But they did come back a few years later - with friends this time. And I have rarely made that dish since. I wonder why.......
PS: I gave them a night free when they returned and their friends received a discount which they told me was appreciated, but not expected.

I think of adventurous as something out of the ordinary vs. cooking for a dietary restriction...like something way over the top. I don't think I've made anything that really qualifies yet
regular_smile.gif
Samster said:
I think of adventurous as something out of the ordinary vs. cooking for a dietary restriction...like something way over the top. I don't think I've made anything that really qualifies yet
regular_smile.gif
I considered mine adventurous because I'd never made a frittata (burned my hand because I forgot I'd just taken the pan out of the oven) or the churros (involved a lot of last minute fuss!), and I was unsure how it would all be received.
I shouldn't have worried!!
=)
Kk.

Recently made GF biscuits, expecting they would be crumbly. Surprise- they turned out great and, although they fell short of my regular biscuits, they were good and didn't crumble. Using buttermilk made a big difference and shaving the frozen butter in instead of my usual way of cutting it in was easy to do. The main flour was garbanzo, with some Bob's GF mix. I have to find some xanthan gum.
GF is not that big of a deal here because we have so much fresh fruit year round and rice is a local staple..
Isn't buttermilk a required ingredient for biscuits?? It is here!
wink_smile.gif

I make a vegan pumpkin bread that is wonderful and no one can tell. In fact, one of the vegans wrote in the room diary that the guests should lie and say they are vegan just so they can eat that bread. It's a great compliment, but I certainly don't need any MORE vegans!.
NW BB said:
I make a vegan pumpkin bread that is wonderful and no one can tell. In fact, one of the vegans wrote in the room diary that the guests should lie and say they are vegan just so they can eat that bread. It's a great compliment, but I certainly don't need any MORE vegans!
Oooh... can we have the recipe??
=)
Kk.

GF is not that big of a deal here because we have so much fresh fruit year round and rice is a local staple..
knkbnb said:
GF is not that big of a deal here because we have so much fresh fruit year round and rice is a local staple.
I love rice. Can you tell me how you would fix it in a breakfast situation? Rice pudding or something? Has anyone ever served a warm rice pudding for breakfast? Sounds kinda good right now as it is so flippin' cold.

Breakfast Question:
What do you think is the draw for the more "unique" special diets to B&B's?
  • Do you find being in a city location brings in more special diets than being rural? (ie more fads vs plain country folk who eat the same every day of their life?)
  • Do you think being higher priced and/or Select Registry brings in more special diets?
  • Do you think being more 'service orientated' brings in more special diets than being an alternative lodging choice to hotels?
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this? In other words - how we market our place and who we market to may be a factor in the special diets?
Not trying to get political or anything else. Just working this out in my mind. I feel I used to have MORE special diets than I do now. I always have veggie or diabetic, that is just part of life. But I did have some extreme diets I just couldn't meet. Those who chose it as a lifestyle demanded I meet it, those who chose it for health reasons always brought their own food or were accepting and understanding of why I couldn't meet it.

Breakfast Question:
What do you think is the draw for the more "unique" special diets to B&B's?
  • Do you find being in a city location brings in more special diets than being rural? (ie more fads vs plain country folk who eat the same every day of their life?)
  • Do you think being higher priced and/or Select Registry brings in more special diets?
  • Do you think being more 'service orientated' brings in more special diets than being an alternative lodging choice to hotels?
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this? In other words - how we market our place and who we market to may be a factor in the special diets?
Not trying to get political or anything else. Just working this out in my mind. I feel I used to have MORE special diets than I do now. I always have veggie or diabetic, that is just part of life. But I did have some extreme diets I just couldn't meet. Those who chose it as a lifestyle demanded I meet it, those who chose it for health reasons always brought their own food or were accepting and understanding of why I couldn't meet it..
I have had a lot of people who told me they were grateful that my breakfasts are low-fat. Many were heart patients (once clogged, they do not want to be clogged again) and many were "health" people - those watching their healthy diets. Restaurants post the Heart Healthy sign
heart.gif
on a breakfast and when you read the translation, it says 13 grams of fat. That is nice until you realize this is breakfast and DH is allowed a total of 20 grams of fat per day.
Have had very few of the Fad Diets - especially since Atkins has faded into the sunset, thank goodness.

I have a very fine line here with such a variety of guests.
On one given night we will have honeymooners who hadn't eaten for three days from nerves for their wedding. By breakfast they are starving.
Then we will have an anniversary couple out to live it up for their special ocassion - who have never been to a B&B and expect great things - not scary frou frou food - but something hearty and delicious, they don't want something smart and healthy.
Then we will have an older couple traveling who are eating out every meal and want something low fat low sugar low taste.
I cannot not make three diff meals and I won't short order. I cannot serve the tasteless blase stuff to the guests I hope to win back on their next anniversary or tell their friends about us! (Which travelers from A to B seldom do, it is just a nice place to stay while on the road).
We can't be all things to all people. Do our best to make it nice for everyone and leave it at that. "The year of simple innkeeping"

Had a guest with the following list:
No meat, wheat, dairy, peppers, potatoes, onions, tomatos, sugar and could only have organic eggs.
So I made an omelette, fried parsnips, and an oatmeal berry cobbler.
She loved it.
Not "adventurous", but resourceful!.
How would the guest know that the eggs served were "organic"? lol! Heck, you couldn't find a lot of that stuff here when we first moved here.
One of my recent guests from California told me that someone here said to them, "You're from CA?? You probably only eat organic food, right? Well, here we don't know about all that organic stuff...we only eat food that comes out of the ground!" They had a good laugh about that....tee hee....

We had a guest who was on a raw diet. Nothing cooked, processed, or altered from it's original state. That meant: no eggs (would have to be cooked to eat), no bread (same reason), no yogurt (altered state and heat was used to make it), no cereal, nothing that one would usually associate with breakfast. Obviously no meat. So she got fruit...lots of fruit!!! Water only. No juice, tea, coffee, hot cocoa, milk. Water. Fruit.
We serve dinner to our guests. She got a salad with homemade dressing, almonds that hadn't been toasted and carrot shavings. Topped it all off with more fruit for dessert, and THAT WAS IT.
PS. It was by choice that she eats like this..
Bless her heart
regular_smile.gif

I make a vegan pumpkin bread that is wonderful and no one can tell. In fact, one of the vegans wrote in the room diary that the guests should lie and say they are vegan just so they can eat that bread. It's a great compliment, but I certainly don't need any MORE vegans!.
NW BB said:
I make a vegan pumpkin bread that is wonderful and no one can tell. In fact, one of the vegans wrote in the room diary that the guests should lie and say they are vegan just so they can eat that bread. It's a great compliment, but I certainly don't need any MORE vegans!
Oooh... can we have the recipe??
=)
Kk.
I just posted it

gluten free, dairy free waffles with whipped almond breeze topping i made for a little boy whose parents were trying to control his asthma with diet.
he said they were 'magical'
i thought they were gross!
oh, and sauteed aloe vera..
seashanty said:
... oh, and sauteed aloe vera.
And how was that???
I do drink aloe vera mixed with OJ but never have eaten it or had it alone.
the sauteed aloe vera was for a guest. in a little olive oil - he brought it with him. i tried it and thought it was a little bitter.
i have put a bit in smoothies. couldn't taste that it was in there

Back