What would you do? Who right?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

Arks

Reaction score
I tend to wonder if I would be deceiving our guests if professional photos made my rooms look too classy.
You do need good photos, but I think it's important that the photos don't make things look better than they really are. To me, it's a success when guests say, "your photos don't do it justice!" which I hear often. Much better than them arriving and thinking, "It looked better in the photos. :-("

Last edited:

KenW

Reaction score
We had to deal with those...the answer is..why didn't you book it? Our prices could change daily and not only up...

Reaction score
I am weird. I show my prices - I set them and that is it for the year. I get phone calls and I cannot remember up/down/up again for one thing. I also like to know without having to book, whether I can afford to stay here. Yes, I understand yield management, I just do not want to raise rates because I can (NOT knocking those who do the yield management prices thing - it just is not me). According to a travel writer/consumer advocate I follow, hotels are getting slammed in surveys of satisfaction for rates, fees, lack of amenities, and cleanliness with the rates & fees being the biggest complaints.
I too am weird. 2 rate seasons and no minimum stays all published very clearly on our website. I just can't remember all the changes and don't want to have to look it up every time someone calls. I, too, like to know prices before I start hunting dates to know if I can afford a place. But who am I kidding - we don't go anywhere!

Reaction score
You do need good photos, but I think it's important that the photos don't make things look better than they really are. To me, it's a success when guests say, "your photos don't do it justice!" which I hear often. Much better than them arriving and thinking, "It looked better in the photos. :-("
Amen to that! Over selling leads to disappointment.

Tom

Reaction score
I get phone calls and I cannot remember up/down/up again for one thing.
Same. I answer the phone anywhere I am: in town, on the tractor, in the garden. I need to be able to quote a rate off the top of my head just to focus the conversation. Do you have any rooms? Me: yes, $185 to $195 plus tax. Then we talk. If I'm out of their price range, okay, I go back to work. Don't waste time asking for a discount.
With yield management, Motel 6 in town goes up to $310 a night. For big events I add $20 to $40 a night, but just don't care to get the last nickel.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
I too am weird. 2 rate seasons and no minimum stays all published very clearly on our website. I just can't remember all the changes and don't want to have to look it up every time someone calls. I, too, like to know prices before I start hunting dates to know if I can afford a place. But who am I kidding - we don't go anywhere!
Me too.