What's up with TA today?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The place I stayed last weekend they have three kids (5, 4, 18 mos), and one on the way. She has a full-time job (although often works from home). He owns a pizza parlor. Together they run a 3 room B&B. She has cleaning help on Mondays, and a nanny. After the fourth is born in April she'll give up her FT job, and probably lose the nanny. She said she's lucky that her mom lives only a few blocks away.
When they bought the B&B they had no kids... and it only had one room for the innkeepers. They added an entire wing and reconfigured the common areas so that the guests have one less room (mostly unused anyway) and they have one more in the private spaces (which are fabulous!).
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
When they bought the B&B they had no kids... and it only had one room for the innkeepers. They added an entire wing and reconfigured the common areas so that the guests have one less room (mostly unused anyway) and they have one more in the private spaces (which are fabulous!).
=)
Kk.
Question: What is mostly unused? Like our dining rooms that are necessary but only used in the am's? Just wondering. We talked about that here, the next owners could... sorta thing. We thought heck we could turn the dining room into a bedroom and make the parlor the dining room.
We already envision someone coming in and turning our quarters (family room/bedroom/bathroom) into a suite then using the second innkeeper bedroom only. I would hate to see that, I don't like it when innkeepers think they can get by living in a closet. How much more is it worth for the family to have more space (I am agreeing with the people you mentioned).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Question: What is mostly unused? Like our dining rooms that are necessary but only used in the am's? Just wondering. We talked about that here, the next owners could... sorta thing. We thought heck we could turn the dining room into a bedroom and make the parlor the dining room.
We already envision someone coming in and turning our quarters (family room/bedroom/bathroom) into a suite then using the second innkeeper bedroom only. I would hate to see that, I don't like it when innkeepers think they can get by living in a closet. How much more is it worth for the family to have more space (I am agreeing with the people you mentioned).
I know 2 places with no common areas other than the dining room. My personal preference, when I'm traveling, is to have a place inside the inn where I can just sit and veg. I don't like being confined to my room. So, here's hoping your next owners don't mess up the nice layout! I could see where someone might turn MY bedroom into a guest room somewhere down the pike. It would be a squeeze to get a bathroom and a hallway into my bedroom, but it could be done by removing both closets. But, boy, they'd have to fix the vent fan in the guestroom donwstairs!

The place I stayed last weekend they have three kids (5, 4, 18 mos), and one on the way. She has a full-time job (although often works from home). He owns a pizza parlor. Together they run a 3 room B&B. She has cleaning help on Mondays, and a nanny. After the fourth is born in April she'll give up her FT job, and probably lose the nanny. She said she's lucky that her mom lives only a few blocks away.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I know 2 places with no common areas other than the dining room. My personal preference, when I'm traveling, is to have a place inside the inn where I can just sit and veg. I don't like being confined to my room. So, here's hoping your next owners don't mess up the nice layout! I could see where someone might turn MY bedroom into a guest room somewhere down the pike. It would be a squeeze to get a bathroom and a hallway into my bedroom, but it could be done by removing both closets. But, boy, they'd have to fix the vent fan in the guestroom donwstairs!
Make that 3 sort of. Although my Library is also guest area - it is mainly my office. SOME DAY (meaning probably after DH dies) I will get to move my office area into the now workshop that is now only used to mat and frame paintings - no more wood chips or metal filings flying around!! Until he is willing to clear equipment out and let me in, I exist in this house, I do not live in it.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I'm with you - I don't like places with nowhere to hang out. One of my most uncomfortable B&B stays was at a place where the one room to hang out in that wasn't shared living room space with the innkeepers was a rec room with no reading lights anywhere. The innkeepers were intrusive anyway, and there was no way to get away from them - out in the yard, they followed us; at breakfast, served the food then pulled up a chair. It was one of the times I was sorry that they knew I was an innkeeper, although I suspect it wouldn't have mattered.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I'm with you - I don't like places with nowhere to hang out. One of my most uncomfortable B&B stays was at a place where the one room to hang out in that wasn't shared living room space with the innkeepers was a rec room with no reading lights anywhere. The innkeepers were intrusive anyway, and there was no way to get away from them - out in the yard, they followed us; at breakfast, served the food then pulled up a chair. It was one of the times I was sorry that they knew I was an innkeeper, although I suspect it wouldn't have mattered.
I had an experience like that and it was my first one. I was really surprised, too. My general experience has been that the innkeepers meet & greet and then disappear until morning. In my case, the innkeepers were present all the time except breakfast!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
I agree that it's nice to have a place to veg, although I also freely admit that in all the B&B's we've stayed in we've hardly used the common areas. This one, ironically, is one that we did... two years ago when we were there we put the boys down for a nap and hung out in the dining/sitting room for a couple of hours. It's a large room, and as they only have three rooms their table only needs to sit six. On the other side of the room is a sofa, loveseat, and a full blown bar, complete with glasses hanging from it.
While staying at B&B's I love having a place to take the boys (especially when they were really small... ): a patio, a back yard, a porch, anywhere other than the same four walls!
=)
Kk.

Back