When guests bicker in public. Do you intervene?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading this, I am knocking on wood because I have not had this experience. The closest I have come were 2 guests discussing opposing political views. This did not get heated but I surely did not want the entire table to get involved in this discussion so I started discussing where people were going for the day and that worked.
PT that is a good joke! Country Girl, your story reminded me of an old Andy Griffith show where there was this couple that was continually being brought in to the sheriff's office because of their loud bickering. Andy's solution was to do some 'marriage councling' by making them treat each other with kindness and repsect. The couple was miserable and was ready to seperate until Andy allowed them to argue again...Goes to show you some feed on this.

What about teenagers yelling at their parents or being overtly snide and sarcastic? This would be loud enough to be disrupting conversation at other tables and causing obvious wincing from other guests. Would it embarrass the parent more if the innkeeper spoke up? Do you pretend you don't hear this? I clench my fists when hear this behavior and I have to leave the room. My initial reaction is to speak to the recalcitrant child but I think that would make it worse for the parent. They can no longer deny to themselves what is obvious to everyone around them..
I would speak in a low voice to the parents to get a grip on their kids if they're disturbing others. It would be a major disruption here because we have one table in our dining room!

What about teenagers yelling at their parents or being overtly snide and sarcastic? This would be loud enough to be disrupting conversation at other tables and causing obvious wincing from other guests. Would it embarrass the parent more if the innkeeper spoke up? Do you pretend you don't hear this? I clench my fists when hear this behavior and I have to leave the room. My initial reaction is to speak to the recalcitrant child but I think that would make it worse for the parent. They can no longer deny to themselves what is obvious to everyone around them..
What about teenagers yelling at their parents or being overtly snide and sarcastic?
The one we had the "kid" was 21 and Mama was paying for everything so she could ride in a horse competition. If my kid - at any age - EVER talked to me that way, they would have been picking up their heads. Actually NONE of my kids, even when I was considered less than a person, would ever have talked to me the way that girl talked to her Mother. I bit my tongue bloody. It was at breakfast and they were leaving thank goodness! The others in the group acted as if they were used to hearing this.

Back