When Is Bedtime?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
My inn is located in an old downtown store building, meaning all my guest rooms have sold brick walls and concrete floors. As a result, sound doesn't travel very well between units. This weekend, after almost 8 years in business, I got my first call from guests saying the people in the room above them are so loud they couldn't sleep. It was 11:30 p.m. and I know it must have been bad, since I'd never had a noise complaint before.

I'm thinking I need to add a "quite time" note in each room, asking people to respect their neighbors in the inn and keep the noise down after x p.m.

I'd appreciate suggestions on the wording of this note, and the recommended time for the start and end of "quiet time".

Quiet hours are 10pm to 7am. Please respect our other guests and our neighbors.

Would you consider waiting for a second complaint? If you’ve never had one before it’s possible these people are just remarkably sensitive to their surroundings.

Did you contact the noisy people?

I didn’t have quiet hours posted, but in my head it was 11, latest midnight. After that I felt completely comfortable going out in my fluffy bathrobe looking like your grandmother to tell you to dial back the noise.

I also would wait for a second complaint - and then check it out myself. At 11:30 PM, I would go see what I could hear for myself. They may have met in the parking lot and had words or veen ticked-off about something with this as the get-back OR they mAY HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A REFUND EXPECTING "COMPENSATION" FOR BEING DISTURBED (sorry caps lock). Do not rush to post signs.

I live in the building so hopefully would hear personally and like Mort's comment, I'd be the old grump telling them to quiet down or go down the road. I didn't think Arks lived onsite so perhaps more difficult to go have a word with guests late at night, but honest, folks that don't respect others, don't read/honor signs either.

Arks, seems like I remember you use tech for electronic locks, any chance of a decibel meter/sensor that would alert you of excessive noise or noise after certain hours?

My note above is one of few bullets on my welcome letter. The letter includes the WiFi password, breakfast times, our cell number and note to not feed the koi fish and our no smoking policy. It’s not an in your face sign, just one informative note among many.

Thanks all. Good advice to wait to see if there's a second complaint. I hate to add yet another little sign somewhere if I don't have to!

But also a good idea to just make it one line in the welcome letter, rather than another sign on the wall somewhere. I'll add to the welcome letter if I have repeated problems. They probably won't read/heed it, but at least it would be there!

You could’ve had some fun and gone outside the door and screamed ‘shut the hell up’ and left. It would have quieted them down and satisfied the other guests.. and in the morning just pretend nothing happened with free smiles all around and they’ll never really know if it was you. No, thankfully I have not had to use this particular method yet!

My rule:
One problem doesn't merit a sign.
Multiple problems may require a sign.

Back