When parents sneek children into your (adults only) establishment.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It it were me, I probably wouldn't confront them at all if they were only there one night and leaving today anyway.
But I'd never let them come back either.

many new parents don't even think of 'the baby' as being an issue ... babies at weddings, etc. and they would not consider not bringing them along. i only had one couple do this ... but the whole house was of guests attending the same wedding so ... was not a problem. i only learned there was a baby in the group when the grandmother asked me if the baby was there yet. baby?! i have to say, the reservations were made a year in advance for all, so no baby was on the way at the time. :).
I agree that many parents do not view babies as a child. With that in mind make your policy clear. When you state adults only make sure to add that includes no children or infants.
Confirm with guests a few days prior to their arrival (by phone) to make sure they have they understand the policies, have directions and check in procedures. I have avoided several incidents involving guests who had intentions of bringing along the kids.

many new parents don't even think of 'the baby' as being an issue ... babies at weddings, etc. and they would not consider not bringing them along. i only had one couple do this ... but the whole house was of guests attending the same wedding so ... was not a problem. i only learned there was a baby in the group when the grandmother asked me if the baby was there yet. baby?! i have to say, the reservations were made a year in advance for all, so no baby was on the way at the time. :).
I agree that many parents do not view babies as a child. With that in mind make your policy clear. When you state adults only make sure to add that includes no children or infants.
Confirm with guests a few days prior to their arrival (by phone) to make sure they have they understand the policies, have directions and check in procedures. I have avoided several incidents involving guests who had intentions of bringing along the kids.
key keeper said:
I have avoided several incidents involving guests who had intentions of bringing along the kids.
Welcome to the forum, keykeeper, where is your Inn?

Welcome to the forum Key keeper!
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you about call all of your guests several days prior to their arrival. 90% of our reservations are booked online. They don't want calls from the innkeeper, that's why they have done the more impersonal online reservation. Also, there is no way I have time during the day, especially during peak season that I can make those calls. To spend all that time following up on reservations for something that 'might' happen once in several years is not time effective.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you about call all of your guests several days prior to their arrival. 90% of our reservations are booked online. They don't want calls from the innkeeper, that's why they have done the more impersonal online reservation. Also, there is no way I have time during the day, especially during peak season that I can make those calls. To spend all that time following up on reservations for something that 'might' happen once in several years is not time effective.
Breakfast Diva said:
I tend to agree. I have just enough time to email them prior to arrival and I only have two rooms and four couples to email for wine tours. I don't know what I'll do when we have all five rooms.
I know someone with I think 7 rooms that calls all arrivals to try and upsell. I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I'm more of a soft sell kinda person.
RIki

Breakfast Diva said:
I tend to agree. I have just enough time to email them prior to arrival and I only have two rooms and four couples to email for wine tours. I don't know what I'll do when we have all five rooms.
I know someone with I think 7 rooms that calls all arrivals to try and upsell. I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I'm more of a soft sell kinda person.
RIki
I am in a totally different situation than most inn and B&B's. I have a guest house and two small cottages located on an historic winery estate. My guests are only those who are in the trade. (not open to the public) So with that in mind I hope I am still welcome and hope to get and give insight.

Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
I am in a totally different situation than most inn and B&B's. I have a guest house and two small cottages located on an historic winery estate. My guests are only those who are in the trade. (not open to the public) So with that in mind I hope I am still welcome and hope to get and give insight.
Of course you are welcome. We are an open "society" except to scammers and spammers who are quickly dispatched.

Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Of course you are welcome. We are an open "society" except to scammers and spammers who are quickly dispatched.
gillumhouse said:
We need a 'smiley' of the Grim Reaper. We could put it in the thread when the spammer is 'dispatched.' Or, a smiley of the red queen, 'Off with his head!'
Anyway, that's what I thought when I read that 'quickly dispatched.'

Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Well, no - there have been a few crazies PITAs people with expectations that we were unable to meet and whom we've had to let go.

Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Well, no - there have been a few crazies PITAs people with expectations that we were unable to meet and whom we've had to let go.
True that. I like the way you put it...'expectations we were unable to meet.' That does nicely sum it up.

Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
True that. I like the way you put it...'expectations we were unable to meet.' That does nicely sum it up.
Morticia said:
'expectations we were unable to meet.'
a quote completely stolen from one of your friends on the PAII board.

Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Morticia said:
muirford said:
Morticia said:
And I can hear her saying it!

Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
So, are we, the forum people, "in the trade", and not considered the general public? Or is the "trade" wine related?

Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
So, are we, the forum people, "in the trade", and not considered the general public? Or is the "trade" wine related?
Yes trade means wine related. Our sales reps send restaurant owners, distributers, wine shop owners etc. for a one or two night stay along with a tasting and tour.

Back