When the innkeeper is sick...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other side of the coin, we have a housekeeper/dishwasher who lives in our basement employee apartment. He started working for us last fall while studying for the Bar exam--which he took in February and learned that he passed just this May.

After a grueling winter high season, he took a vacation and spent some time with his girlfriend down in southern Colorado, and came back to discover that he had to take an "ethics" course before being admitted to the Colorado bar.
Would I give him an advance if he asked for one? Hell, yes. He's a meticulous cleaner, a fast, thorough, but slightly sloppy dish-washer (he's chipped more than his fair share of our restaurant-grade china), and he takes initiative when he sees other things that need doing around the Lodge (and the Good Lord knows there are enough of them).

When he came back from vacation, I asked him if he needed an advance. His eyes brightened, and he sort of admitted that he might to pay the outrageous tuition for his course.
When he tells me that amount, I will gladly cut the check.
In our experience, people with low paying jobs that can't support them--particularly in resort areas such as ours with a staggering cost of living--have learned how to work the system. We would never consider giving an advance to a brand-new employee, no matter how sad their story. But for a proven employee who had shown his/her worth, we'd happily do it.
The loyalty equation works both ways.
Tom

On the other side of the coin, we have a housekeeper/dishwasher who lives in our basement employee apartment. He started working for us last fall while studying for the Bar exam--which he took in February and learned that he passed just this May.

After a grueling winter high season, he took a vacation and spent some time with his girlfriend down in southern Colorado, and came back to discover that he had to take an "ethics" course before being admitted to the Colorado bar.
Would I give him an advance if he asked for one? Hell, yes. He's a meticulous cleaner, a fast, thorough, but slightly sloppy dish-washer (he's chipped more than his fair share of our restaurant-grade china), and he takes initiative when he sees other things that need doing around the Lodge (and the Good Lord knows there are enough of them).

When he came back from vacation, I asked him if he needed an advance. His eyes brightened, and he sort of admitted that he might to pay the outrageous tuition for his course.
When he tells me that amount, I will gladly cut the check.
In our experience, people with low paying jobs that can't support them--particularly in resort areas such as ours with a staggering cost of living--have learned how to work the system. We would never consider giving an advance to a brand-new employee, no matter how sad their story. But for a proven employee who had shown his/her worth, we'd happily do it.
The loyalty equation works both ways.
Tom.
Thank you for your support of your employee. Though I suspect he is more than that to you :) Good for you.

Oh it just gets better...guest broke a toilet. We thought it was fixed but apparently he also broke the fill pipe in the wall. It happily 'filled' the bathroom downstairs and collapsed the ceiling. Luckily, the vent fan held it up until we could get the guests out of the room and tear the ceiling down.
Really, truly hoping today's guests are late arrivals so we can turn the water back on to their room. Otherwise I am going to have to either give them their night for free and ask them to come back later on or book them in somewhere else for the night.
As it is, the guests who had the ceiling problem this morning are here as a publicity freebie. They've already been moved for tonight and if I can't move the guests who are in that room tomorrow, they'll be playing musical beds again tomorrow. So, guess who's going to get ANOTHER free weekend stay here just for being good sports.
And, of course, with both of us sick now, we're are limping along trying to get all the cleaning done. I have one set of sheets left. OK, time to hit the laundry again.

Oh it just gets better...guest broke a toilet. We thought it was fixed but apparently he also broke the fill pipe in the wall. It happily 'filled' the bathroom downstairs and collapsed the ceiling. Luckily, the vent fan held it up until we could get the guests out of the room and tear the ceiling down.
Really, truly hoping today's guests are late arrivals so we can turn the water back on to their room. Otherwise I am going to have to either give them their night for free and ask them to come back later on or book them in somewhere else for the night.
As it is, the guests who had the ceiling problem this morning are here as a publicity freebie. They've already been moved for tonight and if I can't move the guests who are in that room tomorrow, they'll be playing musical beds again tomorrow. So, guess who's going to get ANOTHER free weekend stay here just for being good sports.
And, of course, with both of us sick now, we're are limping along trying to get all the cleaning done. I have one set of sheets left. OK, time to hit the laundry again..
OK, crawling around on the floor upstairs while DH solders pipe from downstairs and I realize not only did they break the toilet, they shattered, absolutely shattered the floor tiles in the bathroom. We cannot retile the bathroom floor today or anytime this month without moving guests to other rooms.
Alrighty then, off to have a good cry.

And, of course, with both of us sick now, we're are limping along trying to get all the cleaning done. I have one set of sheets left. OK, time to hit the laundry again..
OMG!!! How did they do that?? Is one of them huge?
I'm so sorry for you, but every time I hear one of your 'stories', it makes me put my crappy stuff all in perspective.
heart.gif

OK, crawling around on the floor upstairs while DH solders pipe from downstairs and I realize not only did they break the toilet, they shattered, absolutely shattered the floor tiles in the bathroom. We cannot retile the bathroom floor today or anytime this month without moving guests to other rooms.
Get some grout, fill the holes temporarily and call is mosaic. Just tell the guest that you didn't want to disappoint them and that you are doing your best. And then give them a beautiful plate of home made macar.... oh wait, that's me.... give them a bottle of w(h)ine (choice of red, white or fake) with all your graciousness. They shall understand.
Method two? Run to HD and get some temporary vinyl you can lay over it. But I still think the "grout" and mosaic is the way to go temporarily. And grout is usually done in about an hour or two.

could you put lino over the floor as a quick fix temporary measure? if its any comfort our room 3 leaked into room 1 which meant 4 days blocked off for it all to dry out before the plumbers could fix it and it turn out the PO's complete bodgers had put in the wet board with no sealant in the corners so who knows how long its been leaking - then after all that is fixed another leak appears in room 1 coming out through the electric shower pull in the ceiling ie water coming out of your electrics - plumbers came straight out and danny is climbing into the hatch to get at the leak and a guest is trying to take a picture of him on his camera phone! then the top element in the hot water tank gave up so only tepid water unles we crank the heating which when it was blasting hot is not great - thought it was fixed but the element wasn't adjusted properly (ie the new one) so the plumbers had to come back and sort it - priceless!

Get some grout, fill the holes temporarily and call is mosaic. Just tell the guest that you didn't want to disappoint them and that you are doing your best. And then give them a beautiful plate of home made macar.... oh wait, that's me.... give them a bottle of w(h)ine (choice of red, white or fake) with all your graciousness. They shall understand.
Method two? Run to HD and get some temporary vinyl you can lay over it. But I still think the "grout" and mosaic is the way to go temporarily. And grout is usually done in about an hour or two.
Not sure the lino would work, so we're going to deal with possible complaints for the rest of the summer. Seriously, the room is booked almost every day until July. We'll scrounge around and see if there are any spare tiles in the attic/basement.
Lino is a thought, tho.

I know you all want to know... with an hour to spare the room is cleaned and ready for check in tonight. The room that actually had the damage will take longer but can't be longer than tomorrow.
DH is a real trooper, getting out of bed, ripping the room apart, going to the store for supplies, doing the plumbing work and reassembling it all.
OK, here's the funny part (there's always a funny part) - the poor guests who had to move rooms came back and asked if there was any place they could keep their doves overnight? (Yes, birds. Yes, more than one. Yes, in cages.) They're part of the show.
Crying over. Chuckling has begun.

Not sure the lino would work, so we're going to deal with possible complaints for the rest of the summer. Seriously, the room is booked almost every day until July. We'll scrounge around and see if there are any spare tiles in the attic/basement.
Lino is a thought, tho.
Just thought you could (a) put it over the top as a temporary fix - lino guy could have it down in about 30 mins
or (b) pull up the tiles, hardboard and then lino you could do it all in about 2 hours.

You are one tough lady! A lesser person would curl up in a ball in the corner! I know that's what I did a few years ago when DH did some plumbing on the second floor but forgot to tighten a joint. We found the ceiling in the suite below on the floor 1 hour before new guests were to arrive. Boo Hoo....you could hear me crying all the way to Cincinnati! Now we laugh, but it has taken a LONG time to get to that point. You are a real trooper if you are finding the humor in this so soon. Good for you!

Lino is a thought, tho.
Just thought you could (a) put it over the top as a temporary fix - lino guy could have it down in about 30 mins
or (b) pull up the tiles, hardboard and then lino you could do it all in about 2 hours.
Cambs - we don't have a 'guy'. DH is the 'guy'. He also cooks breakfast and then cleans rooms. And then does laundry. We just don't have the time right now to do this.
Hiring this out around here would run about $500 for labor. IF anyone wanted a job this small.

Lino is a thought, tho.
Cambs - we don't have a 'guy'. DH is the 'guy'. He also cooks breakfast and then cleans rooms. And then does laundry. We just don't have the time right now to do this.
Hiring this out around here would run about $500 for labor. IF anyone wanted a job this small.
Thankfully I live in a big city where craigslist will get me someone to do something for $10... more if I want a receipt.

You are one tough lady! A lesser person would curl up in a ball in the corner! I know that's what I did a few years ago when DH did some plumbing on the second floor but forgot to tighten a joint. We found the ceiling in the suite below on the floor 1 hour before new guests were to arrive. Boo Hoo....you could hear me crying all the way to Cincinnati! Now we laugh, but it has taken a LONG time to get to that point. You are a real trooper if you are finding the humor in this so soon. Good for you!
And guest who had to move? They can stay put in the room they now have. The other guest arriving tomorrow agreed to take a different room. And then I moved someone else coming in on Sunday.

OMG!!!!!! What in heaven's name were they doing???? I hope you are billing them for all of this!!! It is not normal wear and tear.

One Friday night I had one reservation - for my "budget" room. I then got a 2-room "walk-in". Saturday morning I hear water dripping but cannot figure out where it is from. Then I see water on the floor in the dining room. I go up and knock on the bathroom door - do you have the curtain inside in the shower? Yes. Hmmm. Can see nothing. Person in shower resumes. About 5 minutes later the tile in the ceiling in the dining room comes crashing down and it is obvious what the problem is - the drain has divorced the drain pipe. I get the showering person to cease and desist. I call my plumber - recording. I call his house - recording. I call the guys that work for him - answering machine. I start calling plumbers in the phone book. I FINALLY get one who did come out., Meanwhile the person in the shower was one of the walk-ins and the rest of their party all showered in the bathroom of their other room (pvt bath). The ONLY person who did not get a shower that morning was the one with the RESERVATION! I told her that her room was comp. She refused to accept that - she finally accepted a 50 % off. This was one year after that shower had been installed. Another reason I hate the company that did my bathroom reno.
Monday I got a call from the plumber asking if I still had the problem - it was the one weekend he was out of town and all his on-call guys either had family emergencies or had planned family stuff (graduations) and were not on-call.
I feel for you, Maddie. All you can do is laugh or cry and crying will not fix it.

OMG!!!!!! What in heaven's name were they doing???? I hope you are billing them for all of this!!! It is not normal wear and tear.
EmptyNest said:
No, of course not. There is no way to prove they did anything. Not the broken toilet, not the cracked pipe, not the shattered floor tiles.

EmptyNest said:
No, of course not. There is no way to prove they did anything. Not the broken toilet, not the cracked pipe, not the shattered floor tiles.
Sending hugs up your way. I doubt I could have handled all that as gracefully sick or well. Surely when you write your book it will be a best seller!

EmptyNest said:
You can't prove it??? The room wasn't like that when they walked in...who else would be responsible. I would confront them with the evidence and ask bluntly what went on in here!

Back