Whose idea was this, anyway?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Gotta have health insurance people.
We met with our financial advisor and discussed our long term plan of dh being full-time in the B&B. She pointed out that not only will we need at least his salary, but significantly more to pay for the health insurance.
JBJ said:
Think about this - if you need a new mattress for ONE ROOM. So not sure what others pay - but $3000-5000 for a good B&B mattress set.
I go to the Amish factory (no delivery) and can get a king-sized set for around $500... pillowtop on both top and bottom.
Bring a truck and come visit!
=)
Kk..
tounge_smile.gif

I think our Sealy rep delivers ours for even less than that. King size. Maybe she's including the bed with that? Although we got some incredible deals on Overstock - four poster with night stands for $400 including shipping!!!!
Riki

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
So if you are paying someone to do ALL the maintenance, then forget making a dime. Period. Full stop. That simple. If you call a plumber, or any other tradesman to do work, then you giving away the farm in this business.
Otehr can attest to seeing their hard earned dinero nstantly go out the door by putting in one light socket or adding cable to one room.
$500. Move outlet 3 feet. It should have been a $50 job, but the license alone was $50. Then there was the overload situation in the breaker box which required a whole new box and moving things from the old boxes to the new. WHich solved beaucoup problems with breakers tripping all summer, so it was really worth it. In our own home we could have done all the work ourselves, but not in a business. And because our own home is 'attached' to the business, we cannot do electrical work there, either.
$8000 estimate last year for new carpet for 4 bedrooms, 2 flights of stairs and 2 short hallways. We'll do the work in our own space, but not in the inn. Too short of a turn around time req'd to keep the money rolling in. I can live for 2 years with subflooring, guests cannot.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
We met with our financial advisor and discussed our long term plan of dh being full-time in the B&B. She pointed out that not only will we need at least his salary, but significantly more to pay for the health insurance.
JBJ said:
Think about this - if you need a new mattress for ONE ROOM. So not sure what others pay - but $3000-5000 for a good B&B mattress set.
I go to the Amish factory (no delivery) and can get a king-sized set for around $500... pillowtop on both top and bottom.
=)
Kk..
My bet is her zero finger twitched and she put an extra in both places. My last pillowtop & box spring was less than $500 too and yes, it was a couple years ago (it was the last guestroom to get a new mattress and went from being the plague room to a favorite).

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
Just so happen to have a truck. I would love to come and visit.

There really is no magic formula, as varied as our personalities are, so are our inns. Dh can fix anything, renovate remodel restore...that is something I feel for those who cannot do this, really get sucked under in this business.
He actually enjoys doing it, but the list is very lengthy and pressing. Puts out one fire after another before getting in deeper on these pro-jects.
He has scheduled maintenance for Monday when he is off and we have guests here. He will plug the lawn for fall, mulch an area we cleared near the porch, paint more of the porch decking...he can't finish that decking until Nov when we empty out of guests for the most part. PLUS goes to work every day THEN SOME. Gotta have health insurance people.
You could put every cent you earned (above costs) this year into ONE big project. The house will absorb every penny. Think about this - if you need a new mattress for ONE ROOM. So not sure what others pay - but $500-2500 for a good B&B mattress set. See how quickly it goes? (There adjusted the figure to a more accurate number - we paid $3k for our mattress set 10 yeas ago). I have been fortunate in not having to buy them here yet.
So if you are paying someone to do ALL the maintenance, then forget making a dime. Period. Full stop. That simple. If you call a plumber, or any other tradesman to do work, then you giving away the farm in this business.
Otehr can attest to seeing their hard earned dinero nstantly go out the door by putting in one light socket or adding cable to one room.

You absolutely have to wear all kinds of hats have possess some trade skills. My parents taught me electrical, plumbing and general carpentry (framing/finishing). From there, I renovated an old house and then built one from scratch. My mother taught me about bartering and bookkeeping/accounting.
After that, I learned diesel mechanics, HVAC and a number of ancillary trades that go along in the marine evironment. I taught myself to sew, cook, and do upholstery. All of that combined makes me fairly well rounded enough to run this business on my own - yes, it was my idea.
I've learned enough to troubleshoot, and often fix, most anything that comes up. I also know my limits and when I need to call in the big guns. Without having taken the time to learn all of that and still having a genuine interest in how stuff works, I would have been sunk (no pun intended) a long time ago.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk..
She pointed out that not only will we need at least his salary, but significantly more to pay for the health insurance.
And lets not forget retirement investing.
We took last weekend off and were out at breakfast and the owner of the bakery/breakfast place (probably in her 70s) was looking pretty hunched over and worn out. DW commented that she didn't want that to be her in XX years. I said then don't quit your day job because that is the only one that has a hope of giving you a retirement... the B&B will never do that.

For us it was both of us, together - and do innkeeping together. Well for the most part he does the handiman and outdoor work, our website & marketing. I take care of most daily business duties, maid duties & breakfast as well as local business activites - chamber, associations etc.
DH has Health benefits through retirement but the premiums are still high even through a group plan and former employer pays part. If they get much higher, one of us may need to take on a partime job to help pay this. - DON'T get me started on this topic!!!!
angry_smile.gif

"I am the inside innkeeper dh is the outside innkeeper.".
I kind of have a feeling that is where our lines will be drawn, too. How often do you reevaluate lines and boundries? I read in a book about innkeeping that one thing to do before you even get started is to sit down and, on paper, literally figure out what you are good at and what you aren't so good at.
Good idea or rubbish?

I kind of have a feeling that is where our lines will be drawn, too. How often do you reevaluate lines and boundries? I read in a book about innkeeping that one thing to do before you even get started is to sit down and, on paper, literally figure out what you are good at and what you aren't so good at.
Good idea or rubbish?
A good idea, but realize that neither of you are likely to put "scrubbing toilets" on your "I'm good at list".
tounge_smile.gif

Good idea or rubbish?
A good idea, but realize that neither of you are likely to put "scrubbing toilets" on your "I'm good at list".
tounge_smile.gif

swirt said:
tounge_smile.gif
Good point
Maybe not and "I'm good at" list. More of "I know what to do in this situation" versus "I have NO clue what to do in this situation".
Toilet dirty= scrubbing- my dept
Roof blows off in storm= NO clue- dh's dept. ;)

Good idea or rubbish?
tounge_smile.gif

swirt said:
tounge_smile.gif
Good point
Maybe not and "I'm good at" list. More of "I know what to do in this situation" versus "I have NO clue what to do in this situation".
Toilet dirty= scrubbing- my dept
Roof blows off in storm= NO clue- dh's dept. ;)
Exactly right - the list is 'willing and able to do' vs. 'not willing and able'. Sometimes the ability is physical, sometimes it's mental, and sometimes it's strictly an ROI thing. Since DH has recently started to get paid for some of his software work, the tradeoff is should he spend so many hours doing some exterior painting or should he do the software and hire someone to paint.
DH and I work together very well - we did before the Inn and we do now, but the first six months here were pretty rocky until we figured out which job belonged to which person. We don't mess around in the other's business. He sets the table in the morning - that wouldn't necessarily have been on his 'I'm good at list'. I don't even look at the place settings in the morning. Sometimes I take food out and think 'why did he use that napkin with that tablecloth' but I don't say anything. I take care of the linens - laundry, when to buy new, what kind to buy, how much to spend. He doesn't ask me any questions about that. If you can figure that out in advance, more power to ya. Sometimes the reality is different than the plan.

Good idea or rubbish?
penelope said:
Good idea or rubbish?
Good idea. Altho Swirt thinks no one will put 'scrubbing toilets' on their list, for some cleaning is an outlet. (Not me.) Sometimes it's not what you're best at either, it's what you'll tolerate better than the other person (that's how we look at it anyway). I do the 'guest relations'- email, phone calls, website, directions, answering the doorbell, check-ins. But hubs does the socializing. He's the one chatting you up in the morning while I'm still getting my beauty rest.
Hubs does the accounting & bill paying, but he doesn't know how much is in the checking acct. We found this to be a nice division...he writes the checks without worrying about the money; I balance the checkbook without having to worry about writing those HUGE checks.
Hubs does the bathroom cleaning because it's easier for him to do that than the bedrooms. Nothing moves in the bathroom. You don't have to figure out what the guest did with the sink or look for stains on anything. And it's faster if he's the one who has to fix a broken shower door or clogged sink.
I do the bedrooms because I'm better at the 'stain patrol' aspect. Whenever he sees me taking the quilts off to the laundry he wants to know if there's a stain. When I say it's just time to wash them, period, he is no longer bewildered, but he used to be.
The tough part about the list (and those lists are in 'how to' books) is that nothing is linear. You cannot say, 'From 8 AM to 9 AM I will serve breakfast,' as if that is all that will be going on at that time. So, you may be good at breakfast prep, but not so good at breakfast prep, check-out, clogged toilet, phone calls, door to door salesmen.
So, you need a list of all the tasks. And it's good to know if there are areas you need help in. But you do have to be able to cross train in the other person's job when, for example, he crashes his motorcycle and is out of commission for a month. Or he has heart surgery and is tired for 6 months after. Or you need to visit your parents NOW but you have guests all week.
We're adding 'trash hauling' to hub's list. He goes to the recycle and we just found out it's 90 cents per bag for trash.

Good idea or rubbish?
penelope said:
Good idea or rubbish?
Good idea. Altho Swirt thinks no one will put 'scrubbing toilets' on their list, for some cleaning is an outlet. (Not me.) Sometimes it's not what you're best at either, it's what you'll tolerate better than the other person (that's how we look at it anyway). I do the 'guest relations'- email, phone calls, website, directions, answering the doorbell, check-ins. But hubs does the socializing. He's the one chatting you up in the morning while I'm still getting my beauty rest.
Hubs does the accounting & bill paying, but he doesn't know how much is in the checking acct. We found this to be a nice division...he writes the checks without worrying about the money; I balance the checkbook without having to worry about writing those HUGE checks.
Hubs does the bathroom cleaning because it's easier for him to do that than the bedrooms. Nothing moves in the bathroom. You don't have to figure out what the guest did with the sink or look for stains on anything. And it's faster if he's the one who has to fix a broken shower door or clogged sink.
I do the bedrooms because I'm better at the 'stain patrol' aspect. Whenever he sees me taking the quilts off to the laundry he wants to know if there's a stain. When I say it's just time to wash them, period, he is no longer bewildered, but he used to be.
The tough part about the list (and those lists are in 'how to' books) is that nothing is linear. You cannot say, 'From 8 AM to 9 AM I will serve breakfast,' as if that is all that will be going on at that time. So, you may be good at breakfast prep, but not so good at breakfast prep, check-out, clogged toilet, phone calls, door to door salesmen.
So, you need a list of all the tasks. And it's good to know if there are areas you need help in. But you do have to be able to cross train in the other person's job when, for example, he crashes his motorcycle and is out of commission for a month. Or he has heart surgery and is tired for 6 months after. Or you need to visit your parents NOW but you have guests all week.
We're adding 'trash hauling' to hub's list. He goes to the recycle and we just found out it's 90 cents per bag for trash.
Bree said:
Nothing moves in the bathroom.
LMBO... I knew what you meant, but it's still funny.
Like the others said, nothing's linear. This is my baby, so it's all my job, but some things I put off to the point dh can't stand them anymore, and other things we've found he's good at, and still other things we've found he's willing to do and I'm really not. (I seem to have floorphobia... just hate cleaning floors... probably has to do with bad knees.)
He is very helpful and I am very grateful. He works full time (actually 48 hours/week) and I know he's tired. But he's developed a list of tasks that are all his:
- buying and making all the coffee (he does it before he leaves... one guest asked how a non-coffee drinker like me could make such good coffee)
- mowing, edging, lawn maintenance (although I'll help with shoveling snow and raking, cause I like to do them and he doesn't)
- cleaning/vacuuming the floors (floorphobia... it's an ugly thing)
- if he's here at breakfast his tasks are filling pitchers, putting out condiments, fetching herbs, helping to cut fruit
He'll strip the rooms, and is particularly on top of sanitizing the whirlpool tubs. He'll set the table (and then I'll fix it, but at least it's mostly done by the time I get to it). He'll dust the rooms and clean the guest bathrooms as he has time, and help watch the kids. (Neither of us seem to clean our own bathroom much...)
We've found that we miss different things, and obsess about different things. Until recently he never saw baseboards (until he overheard me saying how he misses them and got put out), and I know I miss things too (the other half of my sentence that he didn't hear).
Making breakfast, answering the telephone, developing and maintaining our website, internet directory listings, accounting, and marketing are all my areas, although we discuss them and I bounce ideas off him regularly. I also do all the laundry, just 'cause it's my job somehow. I also deal with the contractor, do simple maintenance (like installing keypad locks and all painting), plan menus, buy food, do room fluffs, make all the beds and track room amenities, and occasionally I remember to watch my kids.
My kids jobs are clearing the table, moving the laundry from the bottom of the laundry chute to the laundry room, throwing dirty towels down the laundry chute, and sometimes schlepping stuff. They've recently discovered the connection between work and cash, so I've just started training them on pulling trash and cleaning toilets... they're not ready yet to strip a room completely, though.
Someday if he leaves his day job we'll have some major shifting to go through and it will be interesting to see how things develop.
=)
Kk.

We have a definite division of duties now. It used to be he did the lawn, hedges, general yard work, dishes, and downstairs vac. He also answered the phone and took messages (sort of anyway) and sometimes took reservations when I was out. I did everything else.
He still does the dishes, downstairs vac, and the when I am out phone stuff, but the yard has been added to my list of everything else. If I have something happening - as in the 2 Conferences last month and we had guests, I have everything ready for the breakfasts so he can put entree in oven and serve, fruit in zip-loc bags to open and dump into fruit bowl, coffee ground and in zip-loc to pour into coffee pot basket....... He made a sketch of the table setting so he would set the table properly. If there is any question of who does it, it is mine.

Good idea or rubbish?
I am the inside and outside innkeeper. I'm lucky if I can get him to use the leaf blower to clear the patios and porches!! As a result, I didn't get new things planted in the garden
sad_smile.gif

My dh has a regular full-time job - pitches in where he can. He is really good at cleaning 2 person tubs. He is getting a long project list again for stuff that I can't/don't have time to do.

Back