Whuzzit Time

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that is why there is Miss Utility. I do not know about other States, but it is a REQUIREMENT in WV to call Miss Utility (an 800 number) before you dig. It saves people from electrocuting themselves and from cutting power, phone, cable, water, etc lines as they miss the utility lines. They come out and spray a line on the ground where the utility lines are so there is no question about where to NOT dig..
it is a REQUIREMENT in WV to call Miss Utility (an 800 number) before you dig.
You mean to dig a little hole to plant a tulip bulb or a new shrub you have to call and get the ground inspected first? That could become cumbersome. Safe, but cumbersome.
Arkansawyer said:
it is a REQUIREMENT in WV to call Miss Utility (an 800 number) before you dig.
You mean to dig a little hole to plant a tulip bulb or a new shrub you have to call and get the ground inspected first? That could become cumbersome. Safe, but cumbersome.
We almost went through the power line to our outside lights just trying to move a shrub. So, someone put it in but we couldn't get it out!
When I had my new house built the contractor ran yellow caution tape while the hole where the utility lines went was being refilled. Assumption being I would hit the caution tape before I hit the utility lines! Correct assumption.

Mind you the stuff you find when they dug up the sewer to attach the stuff that came out of our basement it was all held together at the joints with super old duct tape could have gone at any time! could have caused subsidence and all sorts!!!! Luckily all I have at the back is car park in which i will not be digging, no side garden and only a small patch at the front in which I make it as low maintenance as possible! mainly flags and path.

And that is why there is Miss Utility. I do not know about other States, but it is a REQUIREMENT in WV to call Miss Utility (an 800 number) before you dig. It saves people from electrocuting themselves and from cutting power, phone, cable, water, etc lines as they miss the utility lines. They come out and spray a line on the ground where the utility lines are so there is no question about where to NOT dig..
?
in your own garden? heck raking leaves could have got us killed! Obv 6 inches down (idiots) is not where it was supposed to be and in a garden. T is still really ticked off over it.
Listen once again I am here to say to those who say "Hire a professional they know what they are doing" is RUBBISH. The owner does not know what they are doing and are taken to the bank when they so-called-professional do a shoddy install like this. Why bother digging, we''' just cover it up.
I am so bad. I really want old houses to be saved, but when someone asks me the one advice I would give if I had to do it over again? BUILD A NEW B&B.
God bless all of you innkeepers today, dealing with these things we get to deal with and more.
cheers.gif

That's why the first thing we did when we bought this 150-year-old farmhouse was to totally redo all the electrical and plumbing. Otherwise you are continually being surprised. And, yes, we were here to supervise to make sure that things were done correctly. It is amazing that anyone would take a chance like that with live wires...simply amazing.
omg_smile.gif

Glad you are here to tell about it!
teeth_smile.gif

By the way, whenever I paste my response from a Word program, where I check my spelling, I get these little oval thingys down the side at the bottom of my response. Any idea how to prevent that? It doesn't show up on the response until it is submitted so there is no chance to remove it from the original pasted text. I appologize in advance for the odd little things.

?
in your own garden? heck raking leaves could have got us killed! Obv 6 inches down (idiots) is not where it was supposed to be and in a garden. T is still really ticked off over it.
Listen once again I am here to say to those who say "Hire a professional they know what they are doing" is RUBBISH. The owner does not know what they are doing and are taken to the bank when they so-called-professional do a shoddy install like this. Why bother digging, we''' just cover it up.
I am so bad. I really want old houses to be saved, but when someone asks me the one advice I would give if I had to do it over again? BUILD A NEW B&B.
God bless all of you innkeepers today, dealing with these things we get to deal with and more.
cheers.gif

That's why the first thing we did when we bought this 150-year-old farmhouse was to totally redo all the electrical and plumbing. Otherwise you are continually being surprised. And, yes, we were here to supervise to make sure that things were done correctly. It is amazing that anyone would take a chance like that with live wires...simply amazing.
omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

By the way, whenever I paste my response from a Word program, where I check my spelling, I get these little oval thingys down the side at the bottom of my response. Any idea how to prevent that? It doesn't show up on the response until it is submitted so there is no chance to remove it from the original pasted text. I appologize in advance for the odd little things.
Silverspoon said:
omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

By the way, whenever I paste my response from a Word program, where I check my spelling, I get these little oval thingys down the side at the bottom of my response. Any idea how to prevent that? It doesn't show up on the response until it is submitted so there is no chance to remove it from the original pasted text. I appologize in advance for the odd little things. (Hey your spell checker didn't catch that one! haha)
See that is the problem you're spell checking! We have had some doozies here due to no spell checker on this site! But see the "shop" is a new building, so we would have "assumed" they ran the wire correctly. We have uncovered plenty of little surprises in this place. more to come...no doubt about it.

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
By the way, whenever I paste my response from a Word program, where I check my spelling, I get these little oval thingys down the side at the bottom of my response. Any idea how to prevent that?
I thought those ovals were something like X's and O's that mean hugs and kisses or something!
If you look below the window where you enter your post, you'll see a link that says "Switch to plain text editor". If you click that you'll see that actual HTML code of your post, and you may see the extra stuff there that's causing the "oval thingys" so you can delete them.
When I look at your posts I see a section that starts with < !--[if gte mso 9] >< xml > < w:WordDocument > and ends with < /w:WordDocument > < /xml >< ![endif]-- > < !--StartFragment-- > < !--EndFragment-- >
That whole section is the code that's puting the ovals in. It's invisible code except in the plain text editor.
Another option would be to paste from Word into Notepad first. That strips out all but the plain text. Then paste that in here.

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

We have had more fun with the misspellings....... There have been some REALLY good ones

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
By the way, whenever I paste my response from a Word program, where I check my spelling, I get these little oval thingys down the side at the bottom of my response. Any idea how to prevent that?
I thought those ovals were something like X's and O's that mean hugs and kisses or something!
If you look below the window where you enter your post, you'll see a link that says "Switch to plain text editor". If you click that you'll see that actual HTML code of your post, and you may see the extra stuff there that's causing the "oval thingys" so you can delete them.
When I look at your posts I see a section that starts with < !--[if gte mso 9] >< xml > < w:WordDocument > and ends with < /w:WordDocument > < /xml >< ![endif]-- > < !--StartFragment-- > < !--EndFragment-- >
That whole section is the code that's puting the ovals in. It's invisible code except in the plain text editor.
Another option would be to paste from Word into Notepad first. That strips out all but the plain text. Then paste that in here.
I thought they were little hugs & kisses, too!

See, I thought those were "fire-roasted cannolis" and wondered if I would be able to replicate the recipe after I bought the place.
Tom

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

We have had more fun with the misspellings....... There have been some REALLY good ones
Yea, well I am one heck of a problem solver but spelling? not so much!
cry_smile.gif
I have tried pasting from Word after spell checking but am left with those oval thingys. Can't seem to find a spell check on the forum post. Am I missing something?

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Yea, well I am one heck of a problem solver but spelling? not so much!
cry_smile.gif
I have tried pasting from Word after spell checking but am left with those oval thingys. Can't seem to find a spell check on the forum post. Am I missing something?
No Spell check here

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
instead of using right click to select copy or paste, highlight your text, then do control c for copy and control v for paste.

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
instead of using right click to select copy or paste, highlight your text, then do control c for copy and control v for paste.
I already do that...I have a MAC so I rarely use the right click. I have made a few posts successfully by cutting a pasting into Word for the spell check and then into text edit. It is a bit tiresome but it eliminates the promiscuous 00000's
Thanks everyone for your help on this. I'll try to clean up my act and not embarrass you all!
tounge_smile.gif

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
I already do that...I have a MAC so I rarely use the right click. I have made a few posts successfully by cutting a pasting into Word for the spell check and then into text edit. It is a bit tiresome but it eliminates the promiscuous 00000's
Thanks everyone for your help on this. I'll try to clean up my act and not embarrass you all!
tounge_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif
Once you are a super poster like the rest of us your spell check won't matter any more. I thought the 0 0 0 0 were a secret code...shhh! We won't tell anyone.

?
cheers.gif

omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif

Spill check? We don't knead noh stinkin' spill chick!
poke.gif

Back