WHY do most of you have checkin time start at 3 pm?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With hotels, if it is not guaranteed to a credit card so they are getting the money whether you show or not, 6 PM the room becomes an available room and is yours if it is still available if you arrive later. If they have managed to sell it before you arrive at 8 - so sorry..
We missed flights 3 times, through no fault of our own, on our last vacation. We arrived 11:30 PM at the motel instead of our planned 6 PM. Glad they kept the lights on for us at the Comfort Inn, or whatever it was.
Our check in time is 4PM, because I need the extra time between 11AM and check in time.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a wine tour? We live 1/2 mile from a winery.
C
remnjava said:
We missed flights 3 times, through no fault of our own, on our last vacation. We arrived 11:30 PM at the motel instead of our planned 6 PM. Glad they kept the lights on for us at the Comfort Inn, or whatever it was.
Our check in time is 4PM, because I need the extra time between 11AM and check in time.
C
Thanks Catlady - We run wine tasting tours www.arcadyvineyard.com
We pick up guests (or they stay with us and get a 10% discount) in 7 seater vans. We book only two couples per van unless they are a group of six in which case we don't worry about tossing them all in one van. If they don't know each other we want them to sit together.
We have livery (limo) insurance which runs around $250/month for the two vans.
We pick up at 1pm (unless there are two couples with two different pickup locations in which case we pick up at 12:30 and 1pm) If they book the lunch package we pick up an hour earlier. We bring the guests back around 5 - 5:30pm.
We charge an all-inclusive fee which includes all tasting fees, bottled water and soda and a cheese/fruit/chocolate plate which is more like a lunch. The lunch package is probably underpriced right now but is a local gourmet standwich, kettle chips, cheese plate and fresh pastry dessert from our favorite bakery. Lunch is $20 per person served on Rosenthal China with silver, place mats and napkins.
Some wineries still charge us not matter what, others appreciate that our guests purchase a lot of wine and wiave the fees.
If you are starting out, don't expect the wineries to waive a tasting fee. I never asked them to - after they saw what kind of clientele we had and how we helped promote their wines, they offered it. Some actually were so commerially orientated they considered asking us to pay them more!!! (winemaker had to point out the strange thinking that led to that consideration, fortunately)
You need to have at least three wineries in a cluster to run a wine tasting tour. But if you only have one winery is there something else you could incorporate into a tour? An artist studio or something?
Or, just sell them a picnic to take with them, and ask the winery if you can prepay their tasting fees and wine glasses and sell the whole trip as a package - One night Wine Tasting Package $XXX includes room, breakfast, wine tasting and souvenir wine glass.
Two night package, ditto
Have the winery bill you or you can pay ahead or whatever they decide.
Riki
Most of the wineries here in the Blueridge Wineway all charge for their tastings. But, many of them give innkeepers coupons for our guests to present for Free tastings. They appreciate that we send our guests...who usually buy lots of wine...their way:) It is a win win for everyone.
catlady said:
Most of the wineries here in the Blueridge Wineway all charge for their tastings. But, many of them give innkeepers coupons for our guests to present for Free tastings. They appreciate that we send our guests...who usually buy lots of wine...their way:) It is a win win for everyone.
They are using their noggin! We have been bringing folks who 95% of the time purchase,sometimes cases, and there are still a few who charge us full price no matter what. And interestingly enough it's usually the $10, $8 charges, not the $5 ones.
Riki
egoodell said:
and there are still a few who charge us full price no matter what. And interestingly enough it's usually the $10, $8 charges, not the $5 ones.
Wow those are up there near California prices. When we first moved here in 1999, most of the wineries had free tastings...within a few years as it started gaining in populatirity and more buses started coming, they upped it to $1 or 2.... we have a few that are now at $5 but they are rare, and most give a coupon to get your tasting fee back if you buy a bottle or more. It really is a great deal.
I think the wineries in this area (they work really well together) realized that if they each charged $5 or more for a tasting, then people would only hit 3-4...but if they each charge less, then people are more likely to hit 5-10 wineries in a day of tasting....and people tend to buy more after their palette is burned out and their wallet is as loose as their brain. :)

With hotels, if it is not guaranteed to a credit card so they are getting the money whether you show or not, 6 PM the room becomes an available room and is yours if it is still available if you arrive later. If they have managed to sell it before you arrive at 8 - so sorry..
C
remnjava said:
C
We pick up guests (or they stay with us and get a 10% discount) in 7 seater vans. We book only two couples per van unless they are a group of six in which case we don't worry about tossing them all in one van. If they don't know each other we want them to sit together.
We pick up at 1pm (unless there are two couples with two different pickup locations in which case we pick up at 12:30 and 1pm) If they book the lunch package we pick up an hour earlier. We bring the guests back around 5 - 5:30pm.
We charge an all-inclusive fee which includes all tasting fees, bottled water and soda and a cheese/fruit/chocolate plate which is more like a lunch. The lunch package is probably underpriced right now but is a local gourmet standwich, kettle chips, cheese plate and fresh pastry dessert from our favorite bakery. Lunch is $20 per person served on Rosenthal China with silver, place mats and napkins.
Some wineries still charge us not matter what, others appreciate that our guests purchase a lot of wine and wiave the fees.
If you are starting out, don't expect the wineries to waive a tasting fee. I never asked them to - after they saw what kind of clientele we had and how we helped promote their wines, they offered it. Some actually were so commerially orientated they considered asking us to pay them more!!! (winemaker had to point out the strange thinking that led to that consideration, fortunately)
You need to have at least three wineries in a cluster to run a wine tasting tour. But if you only have one winery is there something else you could incorporate into a tour? An artist studio or something?
Or, just sell them a picnic to take with them, and ask the winery if you can prepay their tasting fees and wine glasses and sell the whole trip as a package - One night Wine Tasting Package $XXX includes room, breakfast, wine tasting and souvenir wine glass.
Two night package, ditto
Riki
Forgot to add - how many rooms do you have? Can you get a day license to do a wine dinner? Also, the wineries have remote licenses that they can use to do a tasting at your inn if you have enough people. I would think 5 - 10 rooms would do.
Here in Charlottesville I believe Keswick Vineyards has a thing where the winemaker will come and do a tasting for a minimum of 10 people. Just build it into the rates.
Riki
We only have 2 rooms, but I'm sure the City wouldn't even entertain the idea of us "doing wine." They'd probably stop it, "just because." I have considered the idea of selling cheese and crackers. I heard the winery is doing it. Nothing questionable about that. Might as well get a piece of THAT action. :) Will visit them today and see what they offer and for how much, how they set it up, etc.
Carol

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
catlady said:
They are using their noggin! We have been bringing folks who 95% of the time purchase,sometimes cases, and there are still a few who charge us full price no matter what. And interestingly enough it's usually the $10, $8 charges, not the $5 ones.
Riki
egoodell said:
and there are still a few who charge us full price no matter what. And interestingly enough it's usually the $10, $8 charges, not the $5 ones.
Wow those are up there near California prices. When we first moved here in 1999, most of the wineries had free tastings...within a few years as it started gaining in populatirity and more buses started coming, they upped it to $1 or 2.... we have a few that are now at $5 but they are rare, and most give a coupon to get your tasting fee back if you buy a bottle or more. It really is a great deal.
I think the wineries in this area (they work really well together) realized that if they each charged $5 or more for a tasting, then people would only hit 3-4...but if they each charge less, then people are more likely to hit 5-10 wineries in a day of tasting....and people tend to buy more after their palette is burned out and their wallet is as loose as their brain. :)
Ahhhh...I remember the days of free Northern CA winery tastings :) Then, they started a nominal fee and keep a souvenir glass. Some will waive the fee now if you buy X number of bottles of wine from them. (At least that was the way it was the last time I was there.) I think waiving the tasting fee for purchasing is a good way to go.

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
Forgot to add - how many rooms do you have? Can you get a day license to do a wine dinner? Also, the wineries have remote licenses that they can use to do a tasting at your inn if you have enough people. I would think 5 - 10 rooms would do.
Here in Charlottesville I believe Keswick Vineyards has a thing where the winemaker will come and do a tasting for a minimum of 10 people. Just build it into the rates.
Riki
We only have 2 rooms, but I'm sure the City wouldn't even entertain the idea of us "doing wine." They'd probably stop it, "just because." I have considered the idea of selling cheese and crackers. I heard the winery is doing it. Nothing questionable about that. Might as well get a piece of THAT action. :) Will visit them today and see what they offer and for how much, how they set it up, etc.
Carol
remnjava said:
Carol
Of course you have to check with your local laws, but any time alcohol is sold is when you have the restrictions.
As far as food, or gift items, I don't know of any city/county that would have a problem selling gift items. In my county, I can't make any of the food in our specialty add-ons such as our picnic basket or fondue package. I can though, purchase all ingredients and sell them to our guests as a package. You would have to collect any tax on those items you sell. Many here on the forum do such things as a fruit and cheese plate at an additional charge.
Many states/counties have no regulations on what a B&B can make/cook for their guests. I happen to live in an area it's prohibited. These add ons can really add to your revenue and add an extra special amenity your guests may want to purchase as a convenience to them.

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
catlady said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Ahhhh...I remember the days of free Northern CA winery tastings :) Then, they started a nominal fee and keep a souvenir glass. Some will waive the fee now if you buy X number of bottles of wine from them. (At least that was the way it was the last time I was there.) I think waiving the tasting fee for purchasing is a good way to go.
I think waiving the tasting fee for purchasing is a good way to go.
It almost always forces me to buy..unless the wine is hideous ... or way out of my price range.

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
catlady said:
Riki
egoodell said:
I think waiving the tasting fee for purchasing is a good way to go.
It almost always forces me to buy..unless the wine is hideous ... or way out of my price range.
See, they are SMART! It works on me too ;-) Blech...hideous wine....

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
catlady said:
Riki
egoodell said:
swirt said:
When we left Napa in 2001, SIlver Oak was up to $10. I hear the wineries there are waaaay beyond the $10 mark now. Not worth it to me!!!!!
Our wineries pour up to 12 or more different varietals here. Our folks would never make it to 5 or 10 to taste ! We would be carrying them home...your guests must not be tasting all the wines at each stop to do that many.
RIki

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
catlady said:
Riki
egoodell said:
swirt said:
When we left Napa in 2001, SIlver Oak was up to $10. I hear the wineries there are waaaay beyond the $10 mark now. Not worth it to me!!!!!
Our wineries pour up to 12 or more different varietals here. Our folks would never make it to 5 or 10 to taste ! We would be carrying them home...your guests must not be tasting all the wines at each stop to do that many.
RIki
Our wineries pour up to 12 or more different varietals here. Our folks would never make it to 5 or 10 to taste
LOL I think you underestimate the stamina of your guests ;)
Usually the ones that make it to 19 or 20 in a day are more selective about what they choose to taste. They don't try to taste everything offered. 5-10 wineries is pretty common though...they come back here and pass out for a few hours....sometimes sleeping through their dinner reservations.
teeth_smile.gif

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
catlady said:
Riki
egoodell said:
swirt said:
RIki
When talking wine over breakfast, we usually advise people to make their purchases within the first 4-5 because after that, their palette is burned out and everything tastes good.

C
remnjava said:
C
Two night package, ditto
Riki
catlady said:
Riki
egoodell said:
swirt said:
RIki
We did Napa this January. I believe some if not most charged. Our favorite was Sutter Home. Theirs were free. They had two "bars." They had several varieties at one place, then step across into the next room and there were a lot more to try. Bring on those pretzels and keep the cops away!
C

Hunter Valley is now a resort area for wineries, but they had a small fee at each winery.

We have 4pm check in because from 2:30-4:00 we are making rounds picking up kids from school...no buses...We need until 2 to get the rooms done...

Back