Why I don't do payment at check-out (an example of what goes wrong!)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would preferr to get paid at check in, but that just doesn't always happen.
They say they bring their stuff to the room and be right bak...yep, sorry, I don't have time to sit around and wait for them to come back...
pre-arranged rez is ok, I have their #. Walk ins I really try to get it right away.
I have not yet had anyone leave without pay, but it is in the back of my mind at breakfast time.
One time, I had a guest who is travelling across the us wit his mom. He made rez ahead and gave me a card #. When they checked out, I asked him for the card to swipe it. He said he did not have the card, it was some new "PayPal" thing, (Inever heard about). They randomly pull numbers and you have to write them down, then, when used, it gets deducted from your checking account.He made all his reservations that way..
Well, I guess I have the number, so I just run it so he could sign the slip. Hm, the card/ number expired the day before.....no good. He did not have another card....mom had to hand hers over.....poor mother, another 3000 miles to go

Another reason I take payment at check out - $20 tip.
shades_smile.gif
We have tip envelopes in the rooms, and housekeepers who get all the tips. That's the way we want it to work. Occasionally someone will leave it with me, especially if they need change. Good on you for getting one, though! Didya hug her?
muirford said:
Didya hug her?
No she hugged him....that's why she got the tip
devil_smile.gif
tee hee...
Samster said:
muirford said:
Didya hug her?
No she hugged him....that's why she got the tip
devil_smile.gif
tee hee...
She walked into the room on their 22nd anniversary to a little side table with wine bucket with sparkling cider and beautiful etched champagne glasses. On the fireplace sat a lovely mixed and fragrant bouquet of flowers in glass vase.
She said to him "Wow this is quite a bed and breakfast! Then realized he had arranged this for her as a surprise and he pulled it off too! (She told me this story later) altho I did give them a card for their anniv.
So for that, he gave the $20 gratuity. It was not for cleaning their room. I am still of the same mindset as always, cleaning the room is a must, not an extra. I know I know we all talk about maids and low pay and all that. Don't tip the owners...blah blah blah.
WHY NOT!
AND...get ready - it was a self check in! (Prearranged, but still a self check in) HUGS EVERYONE HUGS
Good job, JBJ! I was just being silly about the hugs, ya know
teeth_smile.gif

oops...edited to change to silly instead of silling...

Do any of you have gift shops/coffee mugs/dinners/ special last minute add-ons that might get added on before the end of the stay?

Do any of you have gift shops/coffee mugs/dinners/ special last minute add-ons that might get added on before the end of the stay?.
I have soaps and getting mugs. Usually people get them before they leave and pay cash.

Do any of you have gift shops/coffee mugs/dinners/ special last minute add-ons that might get added on before the end of the stay?.
I do have a few gift shop items. Our running of the credit card when guests check in is the same process a hotel uses - it is a verification/authorization of the expected charge (lodging, tax and any packages). At check-out, if someone wants to add a mug, robe, Christmas ornament or other item to the bill, they can do and we can give them the new receipt. Just like adding mini-bar stuff at a hotel.

emspiers said:
Do any of you have gift shops/coffee mugs/dinners/ special last minute add-ons that might get added on before the end of the stay?
YES! cookbooks, handmade candles, music books, books, regional items like primitive dolls, cd's etc etc. Again, that is something there (altho I don't sell alot of the stuff) they say to the other "Oh you already paid, never mind then."
I smile and say "I can run the card or again, we take cash!"

I agree with Bree - payment at check in works best for me too. My normal mode is to ask for the card while they are completing my check-in form and while they are getting their luggage. Those that say 'just use the card on file' get the reply that while I do have that number, I prefer to use the card for security purposes. No one has refused me yet...(never say never).
Yes those disruptions over serving breakfast or waiting for those last departures when rooms need to be cleaned bother me. I have also found that one or two occations it also prevented a possible situation when a guest wanted to depart a day early. (Policy states payment in full on arrival, no refunds for early departure.) Although one did attempt a chargeback for that last night - I won!
Regarding tips...I do post anything regarding tips and I not have help. If someone wants to leave a tip they are welcome to leave one in their room. I will never forget this one guy that was here for a few days. He left $6 on the bed the first day. - Not knowing if it was a tip or just accidently left, I placed the money on the nightstand. Next day, he had $5 on the bed, the other $5 on the nightstand. I then presumed it was a tip but placed it with the other on the nightstand. When he did check out, he said - I left a tip on the nightstand, please accept my thanks. There was $5 for each night.

Bree, what a time you've had over the past few days!!!
Here I am tearing my hair out preparing for a hurricane all by myself, but that will pass rather quickly, so I hope. Your "days" seem to go on and on and on, being one thing after another.
I always take a deposit by credit card so I always have that to fall back on. I’m small enough with just 3 staterooms, that I can tend to the payment end of the business anytime.
As for "Fay" brewing just south of Cuba now...she’s made me have to bite the bullet and fill my fuel tanks - I’ve got a small tanker coming Monday morning just in time for me to head for the "hole." I didn't even ask the price - didn't want to know. I'll just wait and get the bill. This is why this is NOT our high season and why we block off this time of year (August and September) to do upgrades and maintenance. It doesn’t look like a direct hit for me, but I’m on the "dirty" side of the storm. So, I don't have guests on board, thank God.
Awe crap...watching news as I’m typing this...Fay is intensifying. Last check this afternoon, she was struggling to regain strength and I was hopeful the Cuban mountains would tear it up. :(

Most stuff is small potatoes next to a hurricane!! Will keep my fingers crossed that she doesn't intensify where you are.

I can just run their card for a new charge for retail if I had additional items for sale.
Samster said:
I can just run their card for a new charge for retail if I had additional items for sale.
We had a guy this morning ask, 'Can I buy one of these mugs?' Sure. He says, 'Just put it on the bill.' I immediately think of this thread when I say, 'You've paid up already.' So, 'No problem, I'll give you cash.' Whew.

Had guests yesterday tell us how impressed they were that they found our B&B all over the internet, here there and there, but wondered about THIS ONE. I told them the cost was prohibitive and they were shocked. I said we can have tow of those directories for one of that one.
They said they thought we would just pay like $50 to be on any of them. I set them straight. I told them the cost, and they said "EVERY YEAR!?!" Yes, every year.
They walked away educated. They had no idea (like all guests) this is a business and the internet is a business. The internet seems free to people. LOL

Here I am tearing my hair out preparing for a hurricane all by myself, but that will pass rather quickly, so I hope. Your "days" seem to go on and on and on, being one thing after another.
I always take a deposit by credit card so I always have that to fall back on. I’m small enough with just 3 staterooms, that I can tend to the payment end of the business anytime.
As for "Fay" brewing just south of Cuba now...she’s made me have to bite the bullet and fill my fuel tanks - I’ve got a small tanker coming Monday morning just in time for me to head for the "hole." I didn't even ask the price - didn't want to know. I'll just wait and get the bill. This is why this is NOT our high season and why we block off this time of year (August and September) to do upgrades and maintenance. It doesn’t look like a direct hit for me, but I’m on the "dirty" side of the storm. So, I don't have guests on board, thank God.
Awe crap...watching news as I’m typing this...Fay is intensifying. Last check this afternoon, she was struggling to regain strength and I was hopeful the Cuban mountains would tear it up. :(.
Wishing you the best.

Awe crap...watching news as I’m typing this...Fay is intensifying. Last check this afternoon, she was struggling to regain strength and I was hopeful the Cuban mountains would tear it up. :(.
Wishing you safe moorings and a lot calmer waters.

Sanctuary in Miami said:
Awe crap...watching news as I’m typing this...Fay is intensifying. Last check this afternoon, she was struggling to regain strength and I was hopeful the Cuban mountains would tear it up. :(
Once again, I'll keep my own problems over anyone else's...hoping this is nothing but a little wind & rain!

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm hunkered down in my hurricane hole now.
Now, it's time for the hurricane party.
If it gets interesting down here, we have a live helm cam as long as we have cell phone service. This cam is on my captain's own boat, not mine, but the weather is going to be same, except that I got a better spot to ride out the strom than he did. :) http://www.sandbarhopper.com/ - Click on "Helm Cam" from that page. This cam is always on, and when he's captain-ing my boat or another, it goes with him. We recently rode along via the internet on his journey from Miami to Nantucket. Seeing the Statute of Liberty going by was really cool. He'll be making that trip back to Miami in October.

If it gets interesting down here, we have a live helm cam as long as we have cell phone service. This cam is on my captain's own boat, not mine, but the weather is going to be same, except that I got a better spot to ride out the strom than he did. :) http://www.sandbarhopper.com/ - Click on "Helm Cam" from that page. This cam is always on, and when he's captain-ing my boat or another, it goes with him. We recently rode along via the internet on his journey from Miami to Nantucket. Seeing the Statute of Liberty going by was really cool. He'll be making that trip back to Miami in October..
It's looking quite stormy there right now. I don't see any rain, but the guys have their rain jackets on. Be Careful!!!!!

If it gets interesting down here, we have a live helm cam as long as we have cell phone service. This cam is on my captain's own boat, not mine, but the weather is going to be same, except that I got a better spot to ride out the strom than he did. :) http://www.sandbarhopper.com/ - Click on "Helm Cam" from that page. This cam is always on, and when he's captain-ing my boat or another, it goes with him. We recently rode along via the internet on his journey from Miami to Nantucket. Seeing the Statute of Liberty going by was really cool. He'll be making that trip back to Miami in October..
My dh talked to his sister who lives near Tampa yesterday and they are also preparing for the storm. I don't know if my brother has moved his sailboat which is docked in Cocoa. I need to call him!!!
Thinking the best for you!

I'd really hate to be in Tampa. They are going to get a good scrubbing.
Yesterday late afternoon, I was so happy that had moved just outside of the cone, but the storm is big and we're on the dirty side of it. We rejoiced a little too soon. We all went to the local pub for dinner and a beer or two and at 11PM, we checked the blackberry and the storm had shifted back toward the east which was bad for us. Check please!! So, back to work on the storm preps we went...

Back