Why Me?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was your niche? If it isn't maybe it should be, word would get out and they would come to you in droves like diff vegan B&B's in our state..
Joe Bloggs said:
I thought it was your niche? If it isn't maybe it should be, word would get out and they would come to you in droves like diff vegan B&B's in our state.
Gee thanks Joe! I'm half way to the loony bin already!
poke.gif

That is ridiculous! You are not a made to order restaurant. It is the "cooks choice" ...you don't like it...don't eat it. Breakfast is complimentary!!! GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Honestly, I tried to bend over backwards to satisfy our guests, but I would draw the limit here! If someone started spewing all of this out to me, I would say I am sorry, but I don't think we can accommodate your issues here. I would be happy to suggest someplace else for you to stay!.
catlady said:
That is ridiculous! You are not a made to order restaurant. It is the "cooks choice" ...you don't like it...don't eat it. Breakfast is complimentary!!! GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Honestly, I tried to bend over backwards to satisfy our guests, but I would draw the limit here! If someone started spewing all of this out to me, I would say I am sorry, but I don't think we can accommodate your issues here. I would be happy to suggest someplace else for you to stay!
I do understand your reaction to this, but in the next 2 weeks I have a total of 9 room nights with dietary restrictions. You mean to tell me that you would turn away $1800 or more? I can't/won't do that. We're making our living from our B&B. Most of the time these people are wonderful guests except for the dietary issue. I would prefer to have a good natured guest than someone who is a real jerk.
Breakfast Diva said:
catlady said:
Honestly, I tried to bend over backwards to satisfy our guests, but I would draw the limit here! If someone started spewing all of this out to me, I would say I am sorry, but I don't think we can accommodate your issues here. I would be happy to suggest someplace else for you to stay!
I do understand your reaction to this, but in the next 2 weeks I have a total of 9 room nights with dietary restrictions. You mean to tell me that you would turn away $1800 or more? I can't/won't do that. We're making our living from our B&B. Most of the time these people are wonderful guests except for the dietary issue. I would prefer to have a good natured guest than someone who is a real jerk.
You're pretty much off the hook. The real jerks tend to seek me out.
Talk about finding a niche!
728658.gif

hahahaha....I think you're right! Thanks for making me feel better! I'd much rather have my PITAs than yours!!!!

Don't feel bad, we get that, too. We had a rez this week and they very kindly told us they don't eat shellfish or tree nuts. Totally neglected to bring up that they don't eat eggs. The breakfast we planned was for a long time guest who loves omelets. Long time guest left long before brekkie, without eating. Sometimes you just can't win.
The latest one is someone who doesn't eat anything cooked on the griddle. Hmmm. What the heck is that supposed to mean?

aside from the vegans, the 'restrictions' aren't really much to worry about.
and as for the vegans, i'm sorry but they are going to have some very basic breakfast! nuts and berries and granola. being a well-nourished vegan is expensive. i know this from having a family member who eats this way. not to be confused with vegetarian ... make sure they are truly vegan and won't say 'i'll have some eggs' when they see them. that makes me mad when someone says vegan 'but' after you go out of your way to have things just for them.
by the way, i eat probiotic yogurt. stonyfields. it's no big deal..
Thanks for letting me vent. I've actually become quite adept at all this, it's just a pain. The vegans will get a 4 course breakfast which will change each day.
Curious though...would you actually request probiotic or 1% milk (we use 2%) if you were making a reservation? I'm just amazed at how people want everything the same as what they have at home.
I see it all the time in traveling overseas. The mostly American tourist who belly aches and wants everything the way it is in the U.S. instead of sitting back and enjoying how others live, eat and play. One of our favorite things to do in a foreign country is to go to a local grocery store and go up and down every aisle and look at all the different foods. It's fascinating and we end up buying all sorts of unusual snack foods to take with us on our journey. It's a hoot.
No, I don't ask for my 'favorite' foods when I travel! I try to eat anything, at least a little bit, but I would mention that I truly cannot stand green peppers. If peppers can be left out, fine, if not, please offer me toast!

Any yogurt with live cultures is probiotic. We tend to think of bacteria as bad (hence, anti-biotics), but in actuality there are many kinds of good bacteria, including that which makes yogurt. Someone coined the word probiotic to make the distinction between the two kinds.
Your intestinal tract relies on bacteria to finish off the food your body didn't process. [A large portion of excrement consists of dead bacteria.] So if you take a lot of antibiotics you can really mess up your digestive tract, but eating yogurt helps it.
[You also have millions of bacteria on your skin that live on your sweat.... this is a GOOD thing as they help fight you infection and disease. You WANT them you on. That's why it's OK to use antibiotic soap on your hands, but not in the shower as a shower gel.]
Septic systems... same idea.
Thus ends today's science lesson... :wink:
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Any yogurt with live cultures is probiotic. We tend to think of bacteria as bad (hence, anti-biotics), but in actuality there are many kinds of good bacteria, including that which makes yogurt. Someone coined the word probiotic to make the distinction between the two kinds.
Actually, I believe that probiotic is being used to distinguish regular yogurt from that which also contains particular bacterial strains classed as Bifidobacterium animalis. These already exist in large numbers within the intestinal tract of every mammal on the planet. Dannon, Yoplait and others have attempted to trade mark the bacteria by messing with the name, i.e. Bifidus Regularis.
It, like much of the health craze, is a marketing ploy and fad. Most of it is marketed to individuals suffering from irregularity. If you eat a good diet, high in fiber and low in processed sugar and flour, you don't need to add bacteria. You're body will take care of itself.

I have one checking in on Sunday that said "prefer poached eggs" on her Special Needs request. Have never poached an egg even for myself and am not about to do it for the first time on a morning with 16 people. She'll get egg beaters or oatmeal.

and as for the vegans, i'm sorry but they are going to have some very basic breakfast! nuts and berries and granola. being a well-nourished vegan is expensive. i know this from having a family member who eats this way. not to be confused with vegetarian ... make sure they are truly vegan and won't say 'i'll have some eggs' when they see them. that makes me mad when someone says vegan 'but' after you go out of your way to have things just for them.
Thanks for letting me vent. I've actually become quite adept at all this, it's just a pain. The vegans will get a 4 course breakfast which will change each day.
Curious though...would you actually request probiotic or 1% milk (we use 2%) if you were making a reservation? I'm just amazed at how people want everything the same as what they have at home.
I see it all the time in traveling overseas. The mostly American tourist who belly aches and wants everything the way it is in the U.S. instead of sitting back and enjoying how others live, eat and play. One of our favorite things to do in a foreign country is to go to a local grocery store and go up and down every aisle and look at all the different foods. It's fascinating and we end up buying all sorts of unusual snack foods to take with us on our journey. It's a hoot.
No, I don't ask for my 'favorite' foods when I travel! I try to eat anything, at least a little bit, but I would mention that I truly cannot stand green peppers. If peppers can be left out, fine, if not, please offer me toast!
I get a lot of no Brussel Sprouts.....

I just had a light bulb moment!!!
lightbulb.gif

This probably won't solve the whole problem, but I just remembered that when I set up my webervations years ago, in the section where you ask them about any restrictions I originally wrote: "Do you have any food allergies, dietary restrictions or foods you prefer not to eat?"
I just went in and changed it to "Please list any food allergies or dietary restrictions"
Let's see if that helps!

gillumhouse said:
For breakfast??!! Yech!
barf.gif

gillumhouse said:
For breakfast??!! Yech!
barf.gif

Your intestinal tract relies on bacteria to finish off the food your body didn't process. [A large portion of excrement consists of dead bacteria.] So if you take a lot of antibiotics you can really mess up your digestive tract, but eating yogurt helps it.
[You also have millions of bacteria on your skin that live on your sweat.... this is a GOOD thing as they help fight you infection and disease. You WANT them you on. That's why it's OK to use antibiotic soap on your hands, but not in the shower as a shower gel.]
Septic systems... same idea.
Thus ends today's science lesson... :wink:
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Actually, I believe that probiotic is being used to distinguish regular yogurt from that which also contains particular bacterial strains classed as Bifidobacterium animalis. These already exist in large numbers within the intestinal tract of every mammal on the planet. Dannon, Yoplait and others have attempted to trade mark the bacteria by messing with the name, i.e. Bifidus Regularis.
It, like much of the health craze, is a marketing ploy and fad. Most of it is marketed to individuals suffering from irregularity. If you eat a good diet, high in fiber and low in processed sugar and flour, you don't need to add bacteria. You're body will take care of itself.
Problem is..many people do not eat properly. Little fiber, and high in sugars and processed stuff :-( Just like vitamins. I know I don't get everything I need from eating...far from it...I personally have committed to high fiber diet and less sugar and processed stuff..but I still don't eat what I should.

I just had a light bulb moment!!!
lightbulb.gif

This probably won't solve the whole problem, but I just remembered that when I set up my webervations years ago, in the section where you ask them about any restrictions I originally wrote: "Do you have any food allergies, dietary restrictions or foods you prefer not to eat?"
I just went in and changed it to "Please list any food allergies or dietary restrictions"
Let's see if that helps!.
Hey that's a good thing. I hope that does help. Make sure you have your breakfast page on your web site state similar. And that you get Chef's CHoice or something like that. OR, "Breakfast is complimentary, if you cannot eat what we serve, you are welcome to have cereal or toast."

as i've said before, just because someone is supposed to be on a low fat diet doesn't mean that when they get to your place they are going to stick to that diet! best of intentions maybe when they make the reservation.
my mom always tried to monitor my dad. if she had made a reservation, she would have requested low fat, low salt for both of them and would have happily eaten such things. but he would have defied her and told you to give him the waffle deluxe with extra whipped cream and syrup with a side of eggs. and he would have totally raided your cookie jar!
weirdest thing - my dad outlived my mom by 7 years.

as i've said before, just because someone is supposed to be on a low fat diet doesn't mean that when they get to your place they are going to stick to that diet! best of intentions maybe when they make the reservation.
my mom always tried to monitor my dad. if she had made a reservation, she would have requested low fat, low salt for both of them and would have happily eaten such things. but he would have defied her and told you to give him the waffle deluxe with extra whipped cream and syrup with a side of eggs. and he would have totally raided your cookie jar!
weirdest thing - my dad outlived my mom by 7 years..
Jim is an avid golfer. He and his wife die in an auto accident and they are welomed into Heaven. As they are shown around Jim sees the most wonderful golf course that could ever be and asks if he can play a round. Of course, any time.
How much?
It is free. You can play as many rounds as as often as you wish.
Jim turns to his wife and screams, "It is ALL YOUR fault! If it weren't for all those damned bran muffins, I could have been here 10 years ago!!"

gillumhouse said:
Yes. And no eggplant. No rice. No peas.
=)
Kk.

gillumhouse said:
For breakfast??!! Yech!
barf.gif

Yes, they are your buddies telling me wht they do not eat.

I seldom have guests that demand so much but I serve buffet style. I have had a guest say 'when was the last time you saw whole milk?' to another guest, I mentioned that if they wanted 2% milk it's just like a concentrate, just add 98% water and 'voila' then smiled kindly. They all laughed.. When they think I'm just joking I seem to be able to get away with it!

We've not had any demanding guests....YET. Most act like they are receiving a gift when we serve them and even though DW serves large portions, very little is left on the plate. We've had one gluten free and one egg allergy, but both have been very accommodating and seem to enjoy what we prepared for them.
For the gluten-free guest, DW made a sweet bread using a mix from Bob's Red Mill. The guest asked for the recipe and said that it was the best thing she'd had in a long time.
We get a lot of self-proclaimed diabetics that seem to be miraculously cured at breakfast. Not once has breakfast ever been declined.

Back