Why not display vacancies on your site ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to use online booking. I don't have the TIME to put up DAILY what vacancies we may have. Are you kidding?
Riki

I am 3 rooms, not a hobby (just doing it myself), but I do have online booking as everyone here does but have NEVER and never will have a vacancy:no vacancy sign out front.

I discussed sometime ago with a company proposing an online booking system (including availabilities). He told me the biggest problem they face is that most B&B in France are not computer savvy and handle their bookings on paper.
It does not mean they are B&Bs here are S.O.L. or foolish. It is a different way of doing this activity that many here do not call a "business" and they truly enjoy it. Joey, your way is not the only one. The US model is not the only way. Happyness is not the privilege of those having a booking engine on their website.
I have been very happy without online booking engine for our first 3 years as it allowed me to know how many people we refused on a certain date. Starting with a flat yearly price, we gradually and confidently moved to 3 seasons plus extras on week-ends. Starting at around 59€ per couple for a night, we now charge from 79 to 135€ for the same depending on the date. The booking engine would have hidden the number of refusals and our prices would be much lower today.
As our occupancy increased, and as we joined some OTA, we decided to add one. Besides the advantage we now have on colleagues and the fact that visitors can book anytime, I feel one big advantage is in saving time exchanging emails with prospective guests. Time I can use to other more profitable activities.

How many Hotels or Motels have availability calendars! ? Yet we all find a place to stay while on the road.
I find most small B&Bs do not have any thing saying they had Availabilty Calendars. Not a biggie!!
Send an Email is nothing. I don't use directorys much either. Just google town and B&Bs then review site then send email or phone the place I am interested in.
I have traveled Europe a lot and also lived there. Never found it a problem. I guess I am different then most..
Flower said:
How many Hotels or Motels have availability calendars! ? Yet we all find a place to stay while on the road.
I find most small B&Bs do not have any thing saying they had Availabilty Calendars. Not a biggie!!
Send an Email is nothing. I don't use directorys much either. Just google town and B&Bs then review site then send email or phone the place I am interested in.
I have traveled Europe a lot and also lived there. Never found it a problem. I guess I am different then most.
All hotels/motels I know of have an availability calendar. It's their online reservation system. You enter your dates and it tells you what rooms you can reserve.
To the OP, most U.S. b&bs do have a calendar/reservation system. Most U.K. & European small b&bs do not them, but each year more are catching up with the technology.
Breakfast Diva said:
Flower said:
I have traveled Europe a lot and also lived there. Never found it a problem. I guess I am different then most.
All hotels/motels I know of have an availability calendar. It's their online reservation system. You enter your dates and it tells you what rooms you can reserve.
To the OP, most U.S. b&bs do have a calendar/reservation system. Most U.K. & European small b&bs do not them, but each year more are catching up with the technology.
Now having just planned a trip to Tybee Island Georgia, for whatever insane reason NONE of the hotels/resorts show availability on their website, every last one of them says CALL FOR RATES. So it is a regional thing, if one got them then they all would get them. I found pockets of places in Florida do the same thing. But YES agreed in Europe (and I will get nailed by one of our forum members) most list on multiple directories vs have their own website and very few have their OWN online reservations, they rely on other systems.
They will wise up soon, they NEED to look at the US Model for this, and they will. Euro is going nuts the last 5 years on TA, Facebook and eBay...so this too shall come to pass.
"call for rates" means..they will charge whatever they want...it is prime season so no need to let you know they actually have any rooms.

I discussed sometime ago with a company proposing an online booking system (including availabilities). He told me the biggest problem they face is that most B&B in France are not computer savvy and handle their bookings on paper.
It does not mean they are B&Bs here are S.O.L. or foolish. It is a different way of doing this activity that many here do not call a "business" and they truly enjoy it. Joey, your way is not the only one. The US model is not the only way. Happyness is not the privilege of those having a booking engine on their website.
I have been very happy without online booking engine for our first 3 years as it allowed me to know how many people we refused on a certain date. Starting with a flat yearly price, we gradually and confidently moved to 3 seasons plus extras on week-ends. Starting at around 59€ per couple for a night, we now charge from 79 to 135€ for the same depending on the date. The booking engine would have hidden the number of refusals and our prices would be much lower today.
As our occupancy increased, and as we joined some OTA, we decided to add one. Besides the advantage we now have on colleagues and the fact that visitors can book anytime, I feel one big advantage is in saving time exchanging emails with prospective guests. Time I can use to other more profitable activities..
You have a person here who started this thread who says it is a problem Thomas.
Online availability and reservations is an AMENITY FOR GUESTS. Yes, it is.
Majority of people today are searching ONLINE to book their holidays, remotely. Especially overseas!
For walk ups, it is a no brainer, they arrive and they walk up. It is not "my way" at all, it is called 2011 (actually about 2005 innkeepers began to really get onboard with online reservations in the USA). Allowing people to book in their time zone is a huge perk, those who do not have online rez have NO IDEA of the number of bookings THEY ARE NOT GETTING.
I remember booking overseas in 2000 and having to flippin' FAX everything! They thought they were really ahead of the curve - then. See what I am saying?

As our occupancy increased, and as we joined some OTA, we decided to add one. Besides the advantage we now have on colleagues and the fact that visitors can book anytime, I feel one big advantage is in saving time exchanging emails with prospective guests. Time I can use to other more profitable activities..
souslechene said:
It does not mean they are B&Bs here are S.O.L.
Actually, according to the OP this is exactly what it means. OP is trying to book at these properties, can't find availability, and so doesn't book. It's the whole "absence of proof is not proof of absence" thing.

souslechene said:
Our online booking engine tracks the requests for dates which return a 'no vacancy', so we are able to tell when that is happening with the software. We still have that information, but offer online booking for the many, many, many guests who won't book your place without it. There is no way to track how many guests didn't call you because you didn't have online availability on your site.

Majority of people today are searching ONLINE to book their holidays, remotely. Especially overseas!
For walk ups, it is a no brainer, they arrive and they walk up. It is not "my way" at all, it is called 2011 (actually about 2005 innkeepers began to really get onboard with online reservations in the USA). Allowing people to book in their time zone is a huge perk, those who do not have online rez have NO IDEA of the number of bookings THEY ARE NOT GETTING.
I remember booking overseas in 2000 and having to flippin' FAX everything! They thought they were really ahead of the curve - then. See what I am saying?
Joey Bloggs said:
Of course it is an amenity. We know that it is crazy difficult here to look for bed & breakfasts (many directories but none with full list (except for GoogleMaps, may be), low quality owners websites with few text and pictures, no or not updated availability planning).
But you cannot change the fact that many here do not view this as a business and, as such, do not need/want to follow efficient business practices. Some say that guests are not clients but friends. Some try to establish a label on "non professionnal B&Bs".
Still, many of them would really like to improve their occupancy and would be wise in having a booking engine. First they should work on their website, though...

souslechene said:
Actually, according to the OP this is exactly what it means. OP is trying to book at these properties, can't find availability, and so doesn't book. It's the whole "absence of proof is not proof of absence" thing.
Don Draper said:
souslechene said:
Loosing bookings may not be a problem for many of them. They may like it as a side activity.

souslechene said:
Our online booking engine tracks the requests for dates which return a 'no vacancy', so we are able to tell when that is happening with the software. We still have that information, but offer online booking for the many, many, many guests who won't book your place without it. There is no way to track how many guests didn't call you because you didn't have online availability on your site.
Nice feature. Would have helped. I should be able to link Goog Analytics to mine, but no time to look yet.
As almost no one in France have a booking engine (none around us), there is not much bookings lost as visitors have to go the hard way with others as well. Being fast to answer is important.
I do not see a trend in France to change the situation dramatically. Some effort here or there. Many directories trying to set things up, b00king.com working on it. But as long as many owners do not view their activity as a business, nothing big will happen even though there is a huge need on the guest side.
Average French national occupancy rate is 30%, proof that many are not running it as a business (would be bankrupt long time ago). With an average of 3 rooms per B&B and 58€per couple, that makes a yearly national average turnover of only 19000€, this can only be an extra activity, not the main business. Most are happy not running it as a business and would view running it as a business, as we do, as not beeing faithful to the spirit of the chambres d'hôtes.
Who is right or wrong ? Both, may be. Depends of your objectives.

souslechene said:
Nice feature. Would have helped. I should be able to link Goog Analytics to mine, but no time to look yet.
As almost no one in France have a booking engine (none around us), there is not much bookings lost as visitors have to go the hard way with others as well. Being fast to answer is important.
I do not see a trend in France to change the situation dramatically. Some effort here or there. Many directories trying to set things up, b00king.com working on it. But as long as many owners do not view their activity as a business, nothing big will happen even though there is a huge need on the guest side.
Average French national occupancy rate is 30%, proof that many are not running it as a business (would be bankrupt long time ago). With an average of 3 rooms per B&B and 58€per couple, that makes a yearly national average turnover of only 19000€, this can only be an extra activity, not the main business. Most are happy not running it as a business and would view running it as a business, as we do, as not beeing faithful to the spirit of the chambres d'hôtes.
If you qoute 30% as average occupancy, is that year round or in season, i.e. june - september?

souslechene said:
If you qoute 30% as average occupancy, is that year round or in season, i.e. june - september?
Bommelhoeve said:
Average yearly.

Joey Bloggs said:
Of course it is an amenity. We know that it is crazy difficult here to look for bed & breakfasts (many directories but none with full list (except for GoogleMaps, may be), low quality owners websites with few text and pictures, no or not updated availability planning).
But you cannot change the fact that many here do not view this as a business and, as such, do not need/want to follow efficient business practices. Some say that guests are not clients but friends. Some try to establish a label on "non professionnal B&Bs".
Still, many of them would really like to improve their occupancy and would be wise in having a booking engine. First they should work on their website, though...
souslechene said:
These are the folks who will adopt it first. Thing is, if it is traditional to call and chat first that's a perfectly legitimate model. Offering the option to bypass the chatting is just another option. Quite a few of my reservations come from guests calling me first. For those who have found what they want and don't want to waste THEIR time calling, they use the online system.
You are absolutely correct that updating the website is the first step to getting more business, if that is what is wanted. But, if the plan is to do the B&B 'whenever I feel like it' then the booking system can also be blocked out and opened up as need be. We always block off when we're on vacation and if someone calls we just tell them another place to stay.
I think the differences in adopting different models may lie in that a lot of us here are ONLY doing the B&B, there is no other employment so it isn't something we do just to meet new people.
I understand the laid-back atmosphere you are talking about. It's a way of life that we don't have here. Here it is all go, go, go all the time. Maybe I'll move to France when I retire and slow down the pace of my life!

Gosh you are right. I thought...check some out.
So I checked B & B's in Provence, Lyon, Tours, and Marseille. No one had availabilty capability. Just contact us. And many are not translated to English option either :-(
Someone could really make some $$ if they played their cards right and marketed this feature to French Inns :)

souslechene said:
...I have been very happy without online booking engine for our first 3 years as it allowed me to know how many people we refused on a certain date. Starting with a flat yearly price, we gradually and confidently moved to 3 seasons plus extras on week-ends. Starting at around 59€ per couple for a night, we now charge from 79 to 135€ for the same depending on the date. The booking engine would have hidden the number of refusals and our prices would be much lower today....
Instead of simply looking at the number of refusals, you can also look at how soon you book and sell out any specific date. For example, some dates start to book as early as four to five months in advance. That's an indication that the price maybe too low. While rooms that haven't sold two weeks in advance might be an indicator that prices may be too high. And take my word for it, when certain weeks are popular, we hear about it on the phone and in email even if we are fully booked. Frequently. I've taken at least twenty calls for one certain weekend that we have had booked since April.

souslechene said:
souslechene said:
Average French national occupancy rate is 30%, proof that many are not running it as a business (would be bankrupt long time ago).
I think that is pretty similar to the US average, which I've most often heard to be 35%. I'm not sure that's an indicator of running a B&B like a business or not. Also, that's an average - by definition, there are many places with higher occupancy and many places with lower occupancy. Depending on how it was calculated, smaller B&Bs with lower occupancy may skew the average quite a bit, if there are more of those kind.

Gosh you are right. I thought...check some out.
So I checked B & B's in Provence, Lyon, Tours, and Marseille. No one had availabilty capability. Just contact us. And many are not translated to English option either :-(
Someone could really make some $$ if they played their cards right and marketed this feature to French Inns :).
"And many are not translated to English option either " My guess is that is on purpose. they don't want anyone who doesn't speak french.......

souslechene said:
souslechene said:
Average French national occupancy rate is 30%, proof that many are not running it as a business (would be bankrupt long time ago).
I think that is pretty similar to the US average, which I've most often heard to be 35%. I'm not sure that's an indicator of running a B&B like a business or not. Also, that's an average - by definition, there are many places with higher occupancy and many places with lower occupancy. Depending on how it was calculated, smaller B&Bs with lower occupancy may skew the average quite a bit, if there are more of those kind.
trouble is if you get a lot of people who do it for what we call "Pin money" then they don't want to be busy all the time there should be some way of reflecting this in the statistics?For example a couple near us have closed off some of their rooms as they are semi-retiring but open them at peak times. or anothr couple he had had sort of Bells Paulsy and she has had a bad back and a terminally ill mother so they have been closed a lot and he has been managing on his own a lot so is limited on what numbers he can manage. These are all things that affect statistics but are not related to people trying to book but rather the operators willingness to take them which is a different kettle of fish.

"My guess is that is on purpose. they don't want anyone who doesn't speak french....... "
Most of the times it is wise as many do not speak English...

"My guess is that is on purpose. they don't want anyone who doesn't speak french....... "
Most of the times it is wise as many do not speak English....
souslechene said:
Most of the times it is wise as many do not speak English...
My daughter studied in France and lived with a family there. The wife spoke a little English, enough to be able to tell me my daughter was at school or not home when I called. The husband, not a bit of it. It was quite fun when I went to visit.

Back