Why Ring The Bell or Ask For DF?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnKeeper

Reaction score
This morning a guest comes to the dining room and instantly rings the bell. We typically hear them and wait a minute for them to get their coffee/tea and have a seat. So hubby goes out and says we'll be right with them, take a seat. I make their parfait and as he's going out the door I drop their blueberry pancakes (everything is cooked to order as the first course goes out). He can't find them -- after they've rang the bell to get service, they decided to go and play checkers. What the heck, why ring the bell then if you're going to play checkers in the other room instead.
Must be the morning -- guest shows up and adds DF at checkin to her other allergies. So this morning I take one of my daughter's Silk vanilla yogurts and make her a beautiful fruit parfait like everyone else's. She hands it back to hubby saying that she's never heard of dairy free yogurt and refuses to eat it. How living in a big state like NY has she never encountered dairy-free yogurt. What a waste of my daughter's yogurt.

Well, what happened to our friendly, post labor day crowd?

We have shown them the packaging for the coconut milk yogurt that we use. Silk yogurt isn't available here, don't know about NY, but the local soy yogurt is grey and I won't serve it. I can sometimes get almond milk yogurt, but the coconut is easy to find.

Well, what happened to our friendly, post labor day crowd?.
Not sure why but it always seems to be the person with one issue, who then adds another issue, is an issue themselves. Do they really think that we'd serve them yogurt and lie about it? Why bother to tell us your issues so that we can accommodate you to then not trust us and refuse to eat what we make special for you. I told hubby to show her the package so that she maybe could try it and find something new to like - he said she was adamant she wasn't trying it. Whatever, only 8 more weeks until my season winds down and then I'm off for a week with my family to St. Croix where we'll be snorkeling everyday and I'm only talking to the fish & turtles!!!!!

We have shown them the packaging for the coconut milk yogurt that we use. Silk yogurt isn't available here, don't know about NY, but the local soy yogurt is grey and I won't serve it. I can sometimes get almond milk yogurt, but the coconut is easy to find..
Silk soy vanilla yogurt is pretty white - almost looks like the regular stuff -- so much so that once the parfait was done I had to put a piece of mint on top to tell the two apart. My daughter loves it compared to the almond milk and coconut milk versions (obviously none are as good as the real stuff but if you love yogurt it's a great alternative). I've seen those grey ones and I wouldn't use them either unless it was in a smoothie or something.

Some people are nicer than others. Yogurt lady is one of the others.
The checkers peeps were just distracted and didn't realize they were being pitas.

Not sure why but it always seems to be the person with one issue, who then adds another issue, is an issue themselves. Do they really think that we'd serve them yogurt and lie about it? Why bother to tell us your issues so that we can accommodate you to then not trust us and refuse to eat what we make special for you. I told hubby to show her the package so that she maybe could try it and find something new to like - he said she was adamant she wasn't trying it. Whatever, only 8 more weeks until my season winds down and then I'm off for a week with my family to St. Croix where we'll be snorkeling everyday and I'm only talking to the fish & turtles!!!!!
That sounds like an awesome vacation.
Ours starts Monday. But no travel. Golf, kayaks and dinners out in our own resort town.

Some people are very discreet, almost apologetic about allergies......others wear them as a badge of honor.

Yes, I would've shown her the package and left her to it.
There is distrust and it's not personal.
But my sister has major health issues, hardly eats outside of her home ever. So when we were assured her needs could be met and we verified everything just before she was served, and there was a mistake, out came the $epi-pen$ and the day was ruined. We had to then go straight to the ER. It was terrifying to me ... I won't go into details.
As to why someone basically asks for breakfast 'now' and then goes off and does something else ... ?

We've had guests who are very fearful of trying anything they think might make them feel sick. I tell them to try it at home after researching it so they might be able to expand their repertoire.
But, yeah, it's about 8 weeks to vacation.

MtnKeeper said:
Whatever, only 8 more weeks until my season winds down and then I'm off for a week with my family to St. Croix where we'll be snorkeling everyday and I'm only talking to the fish & turtles!!!!!

Oh, this sounds wonderful! Have a great time!

MtnKeeper said:
I'm off for a week with my family to St. Croix where we'll be snorkeling everyday and I'm only talking to the fish & turtles!!!!!
I feel sorry for DH and the rest of the family… I think you should reconsider add them to your "talking crew".

I don't know, but we usually get the "el cheapos" and the budget people in October… The budgets leave nice notes, friendly, pick up after themselves, and thanks us for everything…. makes us feel better after the summer rush. "El Cheapos" try to get as much as they can for as little as possible…. which makes the budget people seem even nicer!
Edited: Just checked in two nice couples! And the room that's been here all week is very nice as well!

Well, it appears that I got some of them. Unusual this year is that there are still foreigners in the house, as it usually goes all nationals as soon as labour day passes and stays that way up to Thanksgiving. Then it's the leaf people.

And can I just ask what the hell do pregnant women around the world eat? Why is it that here there's a list as long as your arm of things that must not pass their lips? Wait I think I brought this up once before when the pregnant person had that list and then chugged Fanta all day long.
We got thru almost the whole summer with no food issues. Well, hello autumn, here they all come. In one day next week: no mango, no milk, no cheese, no gluten, no nuts, no processed meats, no raw cheese, no sugar.

And can I just ask what the hell do pregnant women around the world eat? Why is it that here there's a list as long as your arm of things that must not pass their lips? Wait I think I brought this up once before when the pregnant person had that list and then chugged Fanta all day long.
We got thru almost the whole summer with no food issues. Well, hello autumn, here they all come. In one day next week: no mango, no milk, no cheese, no gluten, no nuts, no processed meats, no raw cheese, no sugar..
Morticia said:
Well, hello autumn, here they all come. In one day next week: no mango, no milk, no cheese, no gluten, no nuts, no processed meats, no raw cheese, no sugar.
….equals no Morticia in sight!
sad_smile.gif
Poor Gomez!

We got thru almost the whole summer with no food issues. Well, hello autumn, here they all come. In one day next week: no mango, no milk, no cheese, no gluten, no nuts, no processed meats, no raw cheese, no sugar..
Make a nice carrot, ginger and celery smoothie... it might even have negative calories :)

Back