Why Smart People Use Twitter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally different. People don't pour out their guts to the world on twitter. If they do no one would follow them.
FB is like an AA meeting, imo. Totally different to twitter, TOTALLY.
FB is where all the whiney dribbly babies go for a group hug. (Yes, worse than this forum! tee hee hee)
I better go before I am nailed to my monitor by an advancing FB army...bye!
PS Don't forget that Myspace is the K-mart.
shades_smile.gif
.
I guess it just baffles me that anyone would follow anyone on Twitter. I just don't understand it, seems like a huge waste of time, what INFORMATION is being shared that is of any value? I get what the author is saying about needing to be "smarter" because you have less space to say something, but less of nothing is still nothing!
And as a future charter member of "Hermits of America" I hate 'em all!!!!!
.
Don Draper said:
I guess it just baffles me that anyone would follow anyone on Twitter. I just don't understand it, seems like a huge waste of time, what INFORMATION is being shared that is of any value? I get what the author is saying about needing to be "smarter" because you have less space to say something, but less of nothing is still nothing!
And as a future charter member of "Hermits of America" I hate 'em all!!!!!
So you don't understand it.
I am telling you I FOLLOW TWITTER. I LEARN A LOT FROM IT. I get the most useful info from TWITTER. I DO. Why are you saying it has no value? You mean YOU FIND it has no value, I find it DOES HAVE VALUE and it is the most useful social media out there.
FB to each his own, people use it for various reasons, most of us use it because we were told to "Engage" people. Please post political crap on FB and see how engaging you can be ot your customers. LOL
.
I know you love it, but I'm confused, what have you learned on Twitter that has not been posted elsewhere online or in the news? Why is it more valuable? How does this help your business? How much time a day do you spend Tweeting?
Seriously, looking for some answers here, pls don't just tell me I don't get it, because I KNOW that.
.
white pine said:
I know you love it, but I'm confused, what have you learned on Twitter that has not been posted elsewhere online or in the news? Why is it more valuable? How does this help your business? How much time a day do you spend Tweeting?
Seriously, looking for some answers here, pls don't just tell me I don't get it, because I KNOW that.
In some cases, you can get pertinent info for your biz by watching what biz bloggers are posting. An example is a contest being run by another B&B here that I wouldn't have known about because I wouldn't go to their site. It popped up in my feed. Now I'm curious if it's going to work out for them.
Another way I can use it is for local businesses who are offering sales. They don't send me an email about this and it's tough to find everything all in one place and I'm not going to sign up to get all the dang emails anyway.
Every once in awhile I resolve to look at it once/day and then I get distracted.
.
Alibi Ike said:
In some cases, you can get pertinent info for your biz by watching what biz bloggers are posting. An example is a contest being run by another B&B here that I wouldn't have known about because I wouldn't go to their site. It popped up in my feed.
You can use one of the many tools to manage the most important tweets - Tweetdeck is popular. You can also set up Twitter alerts (like Google alerts) to separate the wheat from the chaff.
A good one to follow is TweetInn - it is an account that Bnbfinder uses to send out requests for information that they have gotten media requests for. Responding to those quickly may get you some free publicity.
I have twitter up (usually via Tweetdeck) sporadically, and I have facebook up all day. I have gotten (and given) good information via both media. The smart innkeepers use both effectively (not saying I'm one of them, though).
.
I do follow TweetInn. No idea what the other stuff is...maybe I should find out.
 
Totally different. People don't pour out their guts to the world on twitter. If they do no one would follow them.
FB is like an AA meeting, imo. Totally different to twitter, TOTALLY.
FB is where all the whiney dribbly babies go for a group hug. (Yes, worse than this forum! tee hee hee)
I better go before I am nailed to my monitor by an advancing FB army...bye!
PS Don't forget that Myspace is the K-mart.
shades_smile.gif
.
I guess it just baffles me that anyone would follow anyone on Twitter. I just don't understand it, seems like a huge waste of time, what INFORMATION is being shared that is of any value? I get what the author is saying about needing to be "smarter" because you have less space to say something, but less of nothing is still nothing!
And as a future charter member of "Hermits of America" I hate 'em all!!!!!
.
I find Twitter distracting. I tried it out awhile ago and my brain doesn't work that fast. If I see 15 tweets from the same person in 2 minutes, I block them.
However, what I am finding is that it is a lot easier to get people to follow my 'message' on Twitter than on FB. And a lot more 'PR' people are following, which means I get more traction on whatever I put out there. Short example- I just tweeted about a local event. 2 minutes later it was on a reporter's Twitter feed. Which means more people are seeing it than if it was just on FB.
And I certainly can't pay for the kind of publicity it gets when a reporter feeds it.
It has its uses. But for me to spend a lot of time 'following'? Can't do it. Which means I am breaking the social contract.
.
Twitter is too abbreviated for me. I just can't wrap my head around it. FB is more intuitive for me somehow but I can't really explain why. I also like the flexibility of FB - example, a friend did a status post about frustration doing a word document. We were able to "private message" on FB and I could help her fix her doc. Done. I like getting news feeds with photos and other stuff, too. I have found that I'm editing more posters from my FB news feed too so I don't get their boring chatter. I don't do any games on FB and only a few of their apps.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top