Winter Plans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A word of advice to those removing wallpaper. I have removed the nasty stuff from over 4 dozen walls throughout the property here (even had Jay Karen here once helping me). Anyway, the wall might look good after you get the paper off, but it's the paste that you have to make sure is absolutely removed! Wipe, wipe and then wipe some more. Go over the wall with your hand to make sure it's not sticky and then wipe some more with warm water.
If you don't get the paste off, and I mean ALL OF THE PASTE, and then paint over it, the paint will crack in about 6 months or so. I suppose the time frame probably depends on things like humidity and temperature. But it will eventually crack.
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, though I think I used it to wipe paste off of walls..
Another problem occurs in bathrooms... The paste will run when it gets damp. We wondered why our walls were so streaky until my brother mentioned it happening in his house.
If you aren't sure you can get all the paste and sizing off another option is to skim coat the walls with plaster.

A word of advice to those removing wallpaper. I have removed the nasty stuff from over 4 dozen walls throughout the property here (even had Jay Karen here once helping me). Anyway, the wall might look good after you get the paper off, but it's the paste that you have to make sure is absolutely removed! Wipe, wipe and then wipe some more. Go over the wall with your hand to make sure it's not sticky and then wipe some more with warm water.
If you don't get the paste off, and I mean ALL OF THE PASTE, and then paint over it, the paint will crack in about 6 months or so. I suppose the time frame probably depends on things like humidity and temperature. But it will eventually crack.
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, though I think I used it to wipe paste off of walls..
Yup! Great advice. I find that wetting the wall and using a broad flat scraper takes the big slabs of paste off on a first pass. And then, as you said, wipe, wipe, wipe!
Ugh...I curse the day I papered my bedroom. When I put paper on, I put it on for life. Fortunately I sized the walls well so here's hoping I can get the sucker off the wall this winter!

Back