Wordpress, AHHHH!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobwhitesong

Reaction score
UGH! Can anyone help me install wordpress? It's an absolute flippin' mess!
FTP and PHP and Secrey Keys...
Why must Blogger suck and Wordpress require a computer science degree???

I can probably help, but you'll have to tell me what problems you are actually having.

I can probably help, but you'll have to tell me what problems you are actually having..
The whole assimilation and download process, really. I wanted wordpres so that I could have a different template, but then to change the template i need an ftp client and a cpanel thing and then there's all sorts of computer science jargon that I'm supposed to understand... argh! Is there any way to bypass all that? any shortcuts? How abuot some laymen's terms for me?

I can probably help, but you'll have to tell me what problems you are actually having..
The whole assimilation and download process, really. I wanted wordpres so that I could have a different template, but then to change the template i need an ftp client and a cpanel thing and then there's all sorts of computer science jargon that I'm supposed to understand... argh! Is there any way to bypass all that? any shortcuts? How abuot some laymen's terms for me?
I am not quite sure about this..but I believe WoRDpress needs to be installed on your host server. That is what I had to do for one of my clients sites. I have never used it..they were supposed to ....but never did either.
I just use blogger
Kind of like Joomla...which I am trying to learn. Has to be on the server to use it.

I am not quite sure about this..but I believe WoRDpress needs to be installed on your host server. That is what I had to do for one of my clients sites. I have never used it..they were supposed to ....but never did either.
I just use blogger
Kind of like Joomla...which I am trying to learn. Has to be on the server to use it.
lol, I don't even know what that means. Maybe I should just stick with Blogger? I jsut hate how generic my blog looks with the stock template, I wanted one that assimilates a little better with the rest of the site.

I just use blogger
lol, I don't even know what that means. Maybe I should just stick with Blogger? I jsut hate how generic my blog looks with the stock template, I wanted one that assimilates a little better with the rest of the site.
You can change the template or import your own in Blogger. Colors can be changed to fit your site colors, etc. I have not done this but you can see it's possible just by looking at other Blogger-hosted blogs that have way more interesting themes than the 'stock' Blogger templates.

I just use blogger
You can change the template or import your own in Blogger. Colors can be changed to fit your site colors, etc. I have not done this but you can see it's possible just by looking at other Blogger-hosted blogs that have way more interesting themes than the 'stock' Blogger templates.
I tried looking for blogger templates online and they were all very high-school/myspace looking. I suppose I could edit the coding myself, but I'm afraid to take the blog down to make the changes...

Wordpress can be hosted on your own server, but it doesn't have to be. You can use a hosted version just like blogger http://en.wordpress.com/signup/
But to host it yourself it does involve the following:
  1. Download the "software" to be installed on your server.
  2. Configure your database (MySQL)
  3. Upload the software to your server by FTP
  4. Connect the software to the database.
  5. Upload any plugins or additional templates to your server by FTP
  6. Set up your options
  7. Keep on top of installing updates to keep the software "secure"
inkypr, it sounds like this may be beyond your current abilities...and if the only reason for changing is that you want a different template, I'd say that is probably not a good enough reason for all the hassle. Blogger can be customized too.

I just use blogger
I tried looking for blogger templates online and they were all very high-school/myspace looking. I suppose I could edit the coding myself, but I'm afraid to take the blog down to make the changes...
I think there are some fine looking templates available through Google. You can customize them and the key is good content with photos. I don't think that most folks looking at a blog are expecting something like a super expensive professional website by RareBrick or something. All you need to do is look at some of the blogs by the innkeepers here on the forum to get an idea of how creative and professional they can be. It really depends on what you want to do with them JBJ, Bree, and Muirford have some great looking blogs!! To name a few....

I just noticed while looking up some info, that 1and1 now offers one-click setup of WordPress blogs included with all of their linux plans. With one-click in their control panel they will setup the Wordpress blog and then you can customize it with whatever templates or modules you want. Apprarently they also maintain the security updates which is great. [Details]

Not sure if you know there are two wordpress', the .com is very much like blogger, the .org is what you need to have installed in the site.
I am not fond of blogger either but it does allow you to do more with it then the .com version of wordpress. I did up a comparison chart of both of them I can shoot you by email if you are interested.
There are also some more customizable easy to use blogs out there but they are paid versions. http://www.typepad.com is one of the very best of those.
Don't forget once you set the blog up, also set up a twitter account and go to http://twitterfeed.com/ and set up a feed from your blog into twitter, every time you post something, it will also show up in your twitter stream. Free advertising is always a good thing :)

Not sure if you know there are two wordpress', the .com is very much like blogger, the .org is what you need to have installed in the site.
I am not fond of blogger either but it does allow you to do more with it then the .com version of wordpress. I did up a comparison chart of both of them I can shoot you by email if you are interested.
There are also some more customizable easy to use blogs out there but they are paid versions. http://www.typepad.com is one of the very best of those.
Don't forget once you set the blog up, also set up a twitter account and go to http://twitterfeed.com/ and set up a feed from your blog into twitter, every time you post something, it will also show up in your twitter stream. Free advertising is always a good thing :).
Oooo, thanks for that Twitter alert. I never thought about that!

Back