Would You Respond to this Email I Received Today?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm with ABC News and I'm looking for a location to film a documentary in [my town] this fall. We would have a crew of 3-5 people and would only need the space (no tables/only a few chairs) We would need the space in October or early November for Mon-Fri. I saw you have availability, but I was hoping you could give me an estimate!

You can also check with your tourism or town hall.... they would probably know the scoop of an upcoming project

Give them an estimate with normal prices. They move everything around and leave a mess. No discount.

They only need the space? What space? Are they inquiring about the guesthouse or the event center in town. Makes no sense. If they only need the space, then where are they staying?

I wouldn't respond, but then again, my mindset is not what it used to be which was to take every reservation I could.

Hi there! I'm with ABC New......

Contact info should have been provided. Call the bureau. There should be enough identifying information to do this. Verify that way. Since so many are working from home, it c o u l d be legit, but make sure before you reply. Feathers will not be ruffled if it is legit.

But on reading your post again, it looks like a lot of the generic film location requests I've seen in the past. I think I would ignore.

No, I wouldn't respond. We have all received requests like this but, as others have said, check with your local tourist bureau if you are not convinced. We are good friends with the county tourist bureau here and they know everything about projects like the one mentioned in this email.

Hi there! I'm with ABC News and I'm looking for a location to film a documentary in [my town] this fall. We would have a crew of 3-5 people and would only need the space (no tables/only a few chairs) We would need the space in October or early November for Mon-Fri. I saw you have availability, but I was hoping you could give me an estimate!

I'm probably too old and grumpy these days, but for most of us who have our availability, pricing and the ability to book our space online, such an email tends to say they are not looking to book the space, but instead to engage me in a conversation in which they hope to scam me.

I just ignored it as too weird, and never heard from them again. If it WAS legit, I'd guess they were wanting a nice place to film interviews or something, but I have no idea whey they wouldn't also sleep there if they were really coming to town for a few days. As I say, too weird!

Back