Would you sell your room tonight for 1/2 price?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I would not do it for half.
I have told people that it if really a misconception that innkeepers would rent very cheap just to fill our rooms. Just my humble opinion.

I went to buy a car a few years back and had the numbers with me that my friend had paid the week before for the same car. The dealer quoted me a price and I said something about my friend's deal at another place that was in a different town. The dealer looked right at me and said, 'If you can get this car for that amount over there, take it, because there is no way they really got the car for that.'
I thanked him and walked out and got the car for the price my friend paid at the other place.
He didn't have to take my deal, he didn't even want to consider it, so I walked.
Your guy the same way. If he can get 50% off somewhere else, that's where he needs to go. You need to get the price you need.
And, no, I wouldn't deal at 50% off, either. I am often tempted to ask if the caller would work for 50% off just so they got paid that week. If not, then don't insult me with the same offer.

I went to buy a car a few years back and had the numbers with me that my friend had paid the week before for the same car. The dealer quoted me a price and I said something about my friend's deal at another place that was in a different town. The dealer looked right at me and said, 'If you can get this car for that amount over there, take it, because there is no way they really got the car for that.'
I thanked him and walked out and got the car for the price my friend paid at the other place.
He didn't have to take my deal, he didn't even want to consider it, so I walked.
Your guy the same way. If he can get 50% off somewhere else, that's where he needs to go. You need to get the price you need.
And, no, I wouldn't deal at 50% off, either. I am often tempted to ask if the caller would work for 50% off just so they got paid that week. If not, then don't insult me with the same offer..
I am often tempted to ask if the caller would work for 50% off just so they got paid that week. If not, then don't insult me with the same offer.
teeth_smile.gif

I bought Fairystones. They are a rare occurring mineral in the shapes of crosses. As I drove away I thought to myself, now if I were any of those callers we all get from time to time I should have bargained since I bought 9 for my nieces and sisters who will be in this state in a month. But why? Bargain with the poor man who is just trying to make a living? Shameful really.
It is purely rudeness. I am really going to get an attitude about people calling and telling us our rooms are not worth what we advertise them!
(here is info on fairystones from the State Park website, FYI) and another website with images

Last Friday a guy calls wanting a room for that night. Everything was booked around here due to a big festival. I happened to have one (my most economical) room available as I had a Saturday - Thurs stay coming in the next day, thus leaving a Friday open. The guy says is it a nice room? I said yes all of my rooms are nice. (what else do you say?) 'Well what is the difference in your rooms?" (wondering what is the sence, but provide the info anyway) "Oh I would like to rent the BIG $$$ room" Me sorry as I said I only have this one room available, so he booked it. Ten minutes later, his wife calls back - "do you give AARP or AAA discounts?" What! - They canceled. Didn't want those people anyway, 10 minutes later it was booked & got a $20 tip when they left.

NO WAY I will not give a room away for 50% off. I might do a 10% on that day . We do a very nice breakfast, afternoon snacks and pay for someone to clean the rooms so in the long run it would not be worth it. I would lose $$$

Interesting responses. I have read in PAII and other publications that $25 is better than nothing. This is a fascinating forum.
Personally it completely depends on the day. Right this minute I have 1 room available and if someone called and wanted it for 1/2 price, I would rather rent it, as I am doing breakfast for other guests anyway, get a few extra bucks and potential future business.
In fact, when someone calls and asks my rates, I quote them the rates available and ask if it is within their budget. If they are looking to save $10, I will honor their request, I would pay that in commission if they book from another booking engine. If they are trying to get a room for $40, and they would be my only guest, my time is worth much more than that.
As a matter of fact a gentleman walked in to my place last Friday with the most fascinating story. I knew he was looking for a budget establishment and worked it out so he paid $30 less than my posted rate. He stayed 2 extra nights and took us on an unexpected adventure.
Case by case has become my mantra.

Interesting responses. I have read in PAII and other publications that $25 is better than nothing. This is a fascinating forum.
Personally it completely depends on the day. Right this minute I have 1 room available and if someone called and wanted it for 1/2 price, I would rather rent it, as I am doing breakfast for other guests anyway, get a few extra bucks and potential future business.
In fact, when someone calls and asks my rates, I quote them the rates available and ask if it is within their budget. If they are looking to save $10, I will honor their request, I would pay that in commission if they book from another booking engine. If they are trying to get a room for $40, and they would be my only guest, my time is worth much more than that.
As a matter of fact a gentleman walked in to my place last Friday with the most fascinating story. I knew he was looking for a budget establishment and worked it out so he paid $30 less than my posted rate. He stayed 2 extra nights and took us on an unexpected adventure.
Case by case has become my mantra..
We have done the 'incredibly nice rate' for a few guests over the years. It has ALWAYS, in every case, come back to bite us. One was a couple who booked an inexpensive room and when they arrived, realized they could not climb ALL of the stairs we had. We had lots of open rooms so we moved them to our best room on a lower level at the 'budget' price (as we had already discounted the cheap room for them when they booked).
They called to rebook a few months later. (Yippee! We thought our generosity was paying off.) They wanted the best room at the discounted winter rate for the inexpensive room, in peak season. (A difference of probably $75 at that point.) They were unhappy, to say the least, when we could not accommodate that deep discount. They were very ungracious on the phone.
Again with all the folks who think anything is better than nothing, the question MUST be asked...would THEY work for 1/4-1/10 of their salary just to get paid that day? (Based on accepting $25 for a room.) And what kind of precedent does that set for their employer? Hey, they did it once, they'll do it again. And how many times do you work for less than you're worth before you start resenting your employer?
I might be tempted to knock a few dollars off for the last room in the house as, like you said, you're already getting up and doing the whole show anyway.

Case by case has become my mantra..
We have done the 'incredibly nice rate' for a few guests over the years. It has ALWAYS, in every case, come back to bite us. One was a couple who booked an inexpensive room and when they arrived, realized they could not climb ALL of the stairs we had. We had lots of open rooms so we moved them to our best room on a lower level at the 'budget' price (as we had already discounted the cheap room for them when they booked).
They called to rebook a few months later. (Yippee! We thought our generosity was paying off.) They wanted the best room at the discounted winter rate for the inexpensive room, in peak season. (A difference of probably $75 at that point.) They were unhappy, to say the least, when we could not accommodate that deep discount. They were very ungracious on the phone.
Again with all the folks who think anything is better than nothing, the question MUST be asked...would THEY work for 1/4-1/10 of their salary just to get paid that day? (Based on accepting $25 for a room.) And what kind of precedent does that set for their employer? Hey, they did it once, they'll do it again. And how many times do you work for less than you're worth before you start resenting your employer?
I might be tempted to knock a few dollars off for the last room in the house as, like you said, you're already getting up and doing the whole show anyway.
The problem with the theory of discounting to attract good longterm guests is that it just doesn't work. Never has.
Sure, you'll get guests. And they'll want to come back. At the special price, of course.
Deep discounting only erodes your ADR and reduces your profitability. Anyone who advocates anything is better than nothing just doesn't the basic math skills to have any credibility in my book.

I had a "walk-in" Tuesday night - she called from 40 miles away. I quoted my regular rates, she took the less expensive. That evening in conversation I found she comes to this area on business fairly often. I told DH I was going to give her a corp rate ($15 off) to see if it would bring back. After breakfast (8 AM) she went upstairs and took a nap and as the time approached 11:30 I changed the rate back to regular rate and TOLD her - after she gave me her business card - I would set up an account so her company would get the corporate rate on future stays.

I had a "walk-in" Tuesday night - she called from 40 miles away. I quoted my regular rates, she took the less expensive. That evening in conversation I found she comes to this area on business fairly often. I told DH I was going to give her a corp rate ($15 off) to see if it would bring back. After breakfast (8 AM) she went upstairs and took a nap and as the time approached 11:30 I changed the rate back to regular rate and TOLD her - after she gave me her business card - I would set up an account so her company would get the corporate rate on future stays..
That's a very reasonable reduction and an impressive way of letting the guest know that you'd like her back.
Smart.
Deep discounts that give away the store and get the innkeeper nothing back in return are an entirely different matter.
But corporate rates for quiet guests who come midweek for several nights at a time? Smart.

Do you want guests staying with you who want a $45 room? Will these be the guests who respect your home? Probably not. Even though the locals have coronary at our rates, the local H.I. Express has $139 on their king rooms, people just don't know that.

Just to explain the situation a little and dispute a point or two as well;
In April I had several dates with zero bookings, I discounted my rates on my website and on a couple other sites, because something IS better than nother when the bills need to get paid. I had one guy call me on a Monday night and request the low rate I had posted (it was $58) for Wed and Thu of the week. I made the reservation and he came, Friday morning he asked if I had a room for Friday night, I had only one room left at that point. I had to move him and he was so nice I was thankful he was staying. I had some small repairs at my place that I had not been able to get done (time, money, priorities, just had not happened), He showed up Friday afternoon with the supplies necessary to fix these things. He did it without being asked, I offered to pay for the supplies, but no. He even came for an additional night the following week.
I have always had to travel on a budget and often b&b's in the U S were out of my budget. Sometimes people take advantage, but sometimes they are angels in disguise who are trying to experience something beautiful.

In April I had several dates with zero bookings, I discounted my rates on my website and on a couple other sites, because something IS better than nother when the bills need to get paid. I had one guy call me on a Monday night and request the low rate I had posted (it was $58) for Wed and Thu of the week. I made the reservation and he came, Friday morning he asked if I had a room for Friday night, I had only one room left at that point. I had to move him and he was so nice I was thankful he was staying. I had some small repairs at my place that I had not been able to get done (time, money, priorities, just had not happened), He showed up Friday afternoon with the supplies necessary to fix these things. He did it without being asked, I offered to pay for the supplies, but no. He even came for an additional night the following week.
I have always had to travel on a budget and often b&b's in the U S were out of my budget. Sometimes people take advantage, but sometimes they are angels in disguise who are trying to experience something beautiful..
Sounds like you lucked up and got an angel. Wish there were a lot more angels out there.

i have been in the unenviable position of having utility bills, etc. to pay, few rooms booked, crummy weather which meant unlikely walk-ins, and being desperate for some income. i had guests stay with me for rates i know that others on forum would cringe at. i had to learn what would still earn me some money, what my own bottom price was and not go below it. i also had to learn not to take it personally when someone tried to bargain lower. not easy for me .... if someone countered with 'other places are offering me a room for 50% off the room rate just to have the room filled' i think i'd tell him to enjoy his stay THERE.

I have always had to travel on a budget and often b&b's in the U S were out of my budget. Sometimes people take advantage, but sometimes they are angels in disguise who are trying to experience something beautiful..
Congrats on getting an angel. I would get the devil in blue jeans!

I think there is a balance to be struck we do a local business discount to see if we can build a relationship with them. For example a local company booked in a chap with us for 4 nights and he forgot his aftershave so I popped round with it (it was about 5 mins walk away) and that gave me an excuse to chat to the lady who does all their bookings and hopefully gain some business. But I set a limit I won't go lower than.

We were booked to capacity this weekend. Mother's Day weekend. For both the inn (only two rooms) and the wine tour. Still got a call Saturday afternoon asking "What will you do for me if I come tonight?"
On a holiday weekend like Mother's Day? Nothing missy.
They have no clue....
RIki

I took the following statement from another thread regarding being a veteran innkeeper and it reminded me of a conversation I had with a guest.
If someone calls asking about availability for tonight, I quote the same rate as I would for next week, and I secretly hope they don't call back
She told me 'we' all know how delighted innkeepers are in getting those last minute calls for a room for the night. Well this was news to me!! We all do like to have business but it is not always a delight to get a call for a room an hour out. Then she told me she was a close friend of an innkeeper and that she gets invited to come stay a night all the time. So then the story goes, this 'innkeeper' owns 4 b&bs in a medium tourist spot, does not live on site of any, is not involved in any of the daily activities except booking rooms!!!! Splains it all to me!

I took the following statement from another thread regarding being a veteran innkeeper and it reminded me of a conversation I had with a guest.
If someone calls asking about availability for tonight, I quote the same rate as I would for next week, and I secretly hope they don't call back
She told me 'we' all know how delighted innkeepers are in getting those last minute calls for a room for the night. Well this was news to me!! We all do like to have business but it is not always a delight to get a call for a room an hour out. Then she told me she was a close friend of an innkeeper and that she gets invited to come stay a night all the time. So then the story goes, this 'innkeeper' owns 4 b&bs in a medium tourist spot, does not live on site of any, is not involved in any of the daily activities except booking rooms!!!! Splains it all to me!.
That does explain it all. Those of us who don't really have concierge staff or other full-time help know how a last minute rez can actually throw a wrench in the works. Especially if you're putting together several packages in the rooms or serving up an afternoon snack. Not to mention trying to have your own life in there!

Back