Wrong House - I felt really bad for the guy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel bad for the guy too, I would not have liked being banging on the doors all night especially at the wrong house :)

also cops or own mobile had no internet that he couldn't have checked his confirmation email and or web site?.
I know. I can't imagine how frustrated he was getting to what he thought was a comfy stop over and finding a dark, locked house.
But it would have made sense to double check the address. They are "Seaside", We are "Seafarer." Close, but not the same. And they are two house numbers different from us.
in the UK its odd numbers on one side of the street and even on the other - lady rings the bell Im looking for 53 (we are 52-54 ie other side of the street) but there isn't a door for that - ie because we blocked it up
No dear 53 is on the other side of the street same as every street in the UK - we do have a bit of an occasional problem with 53 which is a small but perfectly formed hotel and they ring our bell and ask for directions as its about half a mile further up the street due to what was a park being there which shoved all the numbers up.
Most streets in the US have the same convention. One side odd numbers, the other side even numbers.
Ever wondered about those really long street numbers? In the West, in rural areas, your street number is actually the State Plane coordinate in feet divided by 100. The coordinate is either the Easting or the Northing depending on whether "Roads" decided the street is mainly E-W or N-S. I am 34694; my neighbor at 35222 is a mile to the East.
Never knew why towns in the west always had such long numbers.
In the East, my previous house was #18. My current house is #50. In order, the 50th lot on the street.
As we're on the edge of the village we don't have a number or a street name, we're just xxxx house, village-name. That causes no end of confusion.
Biggest problem for us is when ordering things online some websites insist that you put the street name into the before it will let you proceed. I usually find putting the village-name in instead works, sometimes I just give up and buy elsewhere.

Had this happen about 4 yrs ago. He never read his Confirmation e mail . Left a real nasty message on my phone about how he was going to report me to the BBB, house & yard looked not occupied , a mess, etc. I think he was at College Street Dayton Va about 4 miles north of Bridgewater. I kept his deposit, never heard from him about deposit . OH he left the message late that night.... The room sold as there was a music festival nearby......

Jeez, that's so unfortunate! Why would he go to the police station, to report that he was "lied to"? Or just because that would've been the safest place to go?
It's always a cause for concern when you see the envelope still in the mailbox in the morning... we just had the same guest no show TWICE in the last month... I never realized that it was the same person until I was inputting the data from the cards...

It's ok as long as you don't get a stinking review because some turned up at the wrong house......> ta-review.
Highlands John said:
It's ok as long as you don't get a stinking review because some turned up at the wrong house......> ta-review
You e would think they could have had that removed by either the guest or ta. Of course, my experience with ta this year is you can go jump in a lake, we don't care if the same person keeps writing reviews about a stay that occurred last year.

That is not HJ's bed and breakfast, fyi, he is sharing it as an example.

That is not HJ's bed and breakfast, fyi, he is sharing it as an example..
What he said!!!!
regular_smile.gif

It's ok as long as you don't get a stinking review because some turned up at the wrong house......> ta-review.
Highlands John said:
It's ok as long as you don't get a stinking review because some turned up at the wrong house......> ta-review
You e would think they could have had that removed by either the guest or ta. Of course, my experience with ta this year is you can go jump in a lake, we don't care if the same person keeps writing reviews about a stay that occurred last year.
Morticia said:
Highlands John said:
Yes, for sure, I'd be fighting this one with TA. The reviewer needs to show proof of his reservation with you, at the very least.

Highlands John said:
Morticia said:
Highlands John said:
Yes, for sure, I'd be fighting this one with TA. The reviewer needs to show proof of his reservation with you, at the very least.
BananaE29 said:
Morticia said:
Highlands John said:
Don't fall into that trap. We have a guest who has only stayed once but who keeps writing reviews claiming they've stayed more times. Bad reviews. But they create a new account so they get away with it.

We get a lot of wrong house as there are 6 B&B's on our postcode and 1 hotel - we are the first so the sat nav just says you are now at your destination and they ring the bell - don't actually check the address or name or anything gives me a stroke about once a week

When we opened, many moons ago, we were the only lodging on the road. But now, with air, there are 2 other "inns" and a cottage colony within the space of .2 mile. We all have signs but still every now and then the door bell rings with someone thinking they are staying with us. The double booking heebie jeebies fear comes rushing up until I realize that they want the air "inn" next door. Whew!
Fortunately, folks who pick us rarely make that mistake...they are paying enough to have done their research and know exactly where we are!

When we opened, many moons ago, we were the only lodging on the road. But now, with air, there are 2 other "inns" and a cottage colony within the space of .2 mile. We all have signs but still every now and then the door bell rings with someone thinking they are staying with us. The double booking heebie jeebies fear comes rushing up until I realize that they want the air "inn" next door. Whew!
Fortunately, folks who pick us rarely make that mistake...they are paying enough to have done their research and know exactly where we are!.
Silverspoon said:
The double booking heebie jeebies fear comes rushing up until I realize that they want the air "inn" next door. Whew!
Yes, there's that rush of panic when people arrive unexpectedly.
Last summer one night, we had two rooms booked and one emtpy, everyone had checked in. then this car pulled in the drive and I thought it was someone looking for a room. They parked in one of the parking bays, unusual, then opened the boot/trunk and start unloading suitcases. omg. have I messed up a booking.
They came to the door and he said his name and that they had a room booked. I told him I didn't think he did. As I've said before, I've kept every email I've ever received, so I did a search using his name, nothing, not even an enquiry.
I told him I had a room and he could have it, but I had no booking from him.
Then I asked to see his confirmation or proof of deposit, to which he said "the lady said when I phoned that we didn't need to pay a deposit"...................ah, 1) We'd never accept a booking without a deposit 2) We always send a confirmation 3) There's no lady here
In the morning when they came down to breakfast he said his wife went mad when he discovered that they should have been at a B&B on the other side of the lake.

Fortunately, folks who pick us rarely make that mistake...they are paying enough to have done their research and know exactly where we are!.
Silverspoon said:
The double booking heebie jeebies fear comes rushing up until I realize that they want the air "inn" next door. Whew!
Yes, there's that rush of panic when people arrive unexpectedly.
Last summer one night, we had two rooms booked and one emtpy, everyone had checked in. then this car pulled in the drive and I thought it was someone looking for a room. They parked in one of the parking bays, unusual, then opened the boot/trunk and start unloading suitcases. omg. have I messed up a booking.
They came to the door and he said his name and that they had a room booked. I told him I didn't think he did. As I've said before, I've kept every email I've ever received, so I did a search using his name, nothing, not even an enquiry.
I told him I had a room and he could have it, but I had no booking from him.
Then I asked to see his confirmation or proof of deposit, to which he said "the lady said when I phoned that we didn't need to pay a deposit"...................ah, 1) We'd never accept a booking without a deposit 2) We always send a confirmation 3) There's no lady here
In the morning when they came down to breakfast he said his wife went mad when he discovered that they should have been at a B&B on the other side of the lake.
Yup cos they will have paid twice

Back