Yard vs Lawn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, initial reactions...
Does 'yard' imply fenced in? Does 'lawn' imply wide open? Other options?

We call it the front yard... it's not fenced in.
Lawn implies wide swath of green, and has snooty connotations. Yard implies 3 feet. (Sorry, couldn't resist. But my dad used to see signs for yard sales and ask if anyone wants to buy three feet?)
Depends a lot on where you're using it.
=) Kk.

To me lawn inplies large expanse of grass. Lawn being a subset of yard. Neither term implies fence or not in my mind.

We call it the front yard... it's not fenced in.
Lawn implies wide swath of green, and has snooty connotations. Yard implies 3 feet. (Sorry, couldn't resist. But my dad used to see signs for yard sales and ask if anyone wants to buy three feet?)
Depends a lot on where you're using it.
=) Kk..
I think your dad and my grandfather went to the same humor school.
teeth_smile.gif

To me lawn inplies large expanse of grass. Lawn being a subset of yard. Neither term implies fence or not in my mind..
Just wondering because I mentioned the 'yard' to a guest with 2 small kids and wondered if she would think that implied 'fenced in'. And maybe I should just have said 'lawn' which implies, to me, a lot of grass but no fence.
When we see 'garage sale, porch sale, attic sale' we giggle and ask if we need any of those right now. Another good one is 'baby sale' at Penney's or some such.

Most of these were while driving (which we did a lot):
Upon seeing a police car: "Well bless my soul, it's the highway patrol!"
Upon seeing a boat in tow: "It's the navy!"
Upon getting into the car: "We're off like a herd of turtles!" (After he died my uncle told me it's "off like a herd of turtles in a cloud of steam."
Or, in the holiday season: "It was Christmastime and everyone was feeling Merry, so she left. Then they jumped for Joy, so she left, too."
Every now and then another one comes to mind and I miss him...
=) Kk.

Okay I grew up in an old area in Southern Ca. A yard is a tiny thing attached to or surrounding the house, tight or backyard meaning a fence behind that. Many times fenced in. Smaller. Unelss you say BIG BACKYARD. Add soem adjectives to it and it changes the whole image.
Lawn - wide open.
Hang on asking the Aussie fella here:
Grounds is more commercial he said, not for play. That is what we have. Yard is for play, for kids and dogs. Lawns is for kicking the ball etc, so not just kids, everyone.

Most of these were while driving (which we did a lot):
Upon seeing a police car: "Well bless my soul, it's the highway patrol!"
Upon seeing a boat in tow: "It's the navy!"
Upon getting into the car: "We're off like a herd of turtles!" (After he died my uncle told me it's "off like a herd of turtles in a cloud of steam."
Or, in the holiday season: "It was Christmastime and everyone was feeling Merry, so she left. Then they jumped for Joy, so she left, too."
Every now and then another one comes to mind and I miss him...
=) Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=) Kk.
Hey, we do the 'herd of turtles' one, too. Never heard the last part, tho.

I use 'grounds' in my descriptions. But this was a guest who had kids and I thought 'yard' would be better, more friendly. She booked somewhere else. Apparently a 10 minute turn around time on the email was too long...

To mee both are pretty much the same....they both have grass, some more some less.
Since we are in the "Bush " of Alaska, we don't have fences. I devided my Lawn from the wild by a "fence" of wild flowers.

To mee both are pretty much the same....they both have grass, some more some less.
Since we are in the "Bush " of Alaska, we don't have fences. I devided my Lawn from the wild by a "fence" of wild flowers..
See I don't even consider a yard to HAVE GRASS.
regular_smile.gif

Welcome to the forum! One of our best friends grew up near you there in Fairbanks.
Welcome to the forum. Glad you could join us from the Last Frontier.

Back