your morning tables

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have two 2 tops and one 4 top that can expand to 6 if needed. Our own preference is for private tables. The tables are close enough to each other that guests can socialize if they choose, and many do. This leaves it their choice.
-Katheen M.

We have one table that seats six in the great room. This is the only choice during the winter. When the weather is nice, we have patio seating for up to 8.
We also have a picture of our dining area on our website.

This morning is an example of how guests are before they've had their coffee (even if they drink decaf)...
4 tables, each set with 2 place settings. 1 table can seat 4 but was only set for 2. These guests sat, you guessed it, in the chairs with no place settings.

This morning is an example of how guests are before they've had their coffee (even if they drink decaf)...
4 tables, each set with 2 place settings. 1 table can seat 4 but was only set for 2. These guests sat, you guessed it, in the chairs with no place settings..
Bree said:
4 tables, each set with 2 place settings. 1 table can seat 4 but was only set for 2. These guests sat, you guessed it, in the chairs with no place settings.
I know I would be guilty of sitting at any spot to sip my coffee, and then perhaps move. I can see this could be a problem. Guests do that here, sit where there is no setting. Not sure what the heck!
wow.gif

4 tables, each set with 2 place settings. 1 table can seat 4 but was only set for 2. These guests sat, you guessed it, in the chairs with no place settings..
I have had them sit in the ONLY chair that does not have a place setting - both at brekfast and at dinner! Go figure!

Bree said:
I know I would be guilty of sitting at any spot to sip my coffee, and then perhaps move. I can see this could be a problem. Guests do that here, sit where there is no setting. Not sure what the heck!
wow.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
wow.gif
We have 2 comfy chairs right by the coffee pot. He said, 'Let's sit over here,' and they sat at the table. I brought their fruit over and said, 'You can just move that silverware over.' They didn't.

I have had them sit in the ONLY chair that does not have a place setting - both at brekfast and at dinner! Go figure!
gillumhouse said:
rebels
when they do that purposefully, not out of stupidity I let them move it all over themselves. I am not going to skuttle around like a mouse after them.

gillumhouse said:
rebels
when they do that purposefully, not out of stupidity I let them move it all over themselves. I am not going to skuttle around like a mouse after them.
Well, you wouldn't skuttle like a mouse....you're a GROUNDHOG!! Tall and proud. haha!

It would be funny if, when you brought their breakfast to them, you placed the plate not in front of them but at an empty place setting.
devil_smile.gif

It would be funny if, when you brought their breakfast to them, you placed the plate not in front of them but at an empty place setting.
devil_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
devil_smile.gif
I DID do that with these 2. They had their coffee cups set right where the plates would go and their napkins still unfolded and in place (even tho they had already gotten thru the fruit course). Soooo, breakfast plates went at the empty chairs.

devil_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
devil_smile.gif
I DID do that with these 2. They had their coffee cups set right where the plates would go and their napkins still unfolded and in place (even tho they had already gotten thru the fruit course). Soooo, breakfast plates went at the empty chairs.
Atta Girl!
cheers.gif

In the Sun Room in the summer we have two tables that seat 4 & 5 respectively. If I have two couples I will seat them at separate tables. Somestimes they move their settings to the one table. In the colder weather we are in the dining room and it is just one long table that can seat 8 to 10. Never had a complaint..
JeannineIrish said:
In the Sun Room in the summer we have two tables that seat 4 & 5 respectively. If I have two couples I will seat them at separate tables. Somestimes they move their settings to the one table. In the colder weather we are in the dining room and it is just one long table that can seat 8 to 10. Never had a complaint.
So, do you actually 'seat' the guests? ie- point them to a table and say, 'Sit here.'
I tell guests to 'have a seat' and let them sort it out. It does leave a LOT to chance as many will sit themselves where it is almost obvious they don't belong. 1 person will sit at a table for 4 instead of a table for 2 or 3 guests will sit at a table for 2 and pull a chair from a table set for 2 which now can't seat 2. That sort of thing.
Some guests will decide to sit as a group and pull the tables around. That doesn't work because the floor is crooked so all the tables are sited 'perfectly' for ONE location. They move the tables and then gasp when the table wobbles all over and coffee sloshes everywhere.
I've had guests pull up a chair so it is literally back to back with another chair and not a single one of them considers that no one can move now. I cannot deliver food, other guests cannot leave their tables. And there they sit, oblivious or rude, take your pick.
Oh goosh no. I don't tell them where to sit. If there are two couples I just set two places at each of the tables and the first ones down get to pick where they want to sit and the others will sit at the other table. It is only if I have a family of three or four where I have set one of the tables accordingly and the other with 2 places and I will ask the the two person group if they come down first if they would mind sitting at the two place table because the other table is set for the larger group.
Once we move into the dining room for the colder months there is just one table and only occassionally will I have to ask people to sit in a particular seat so that two people that have come together don't end up at opposite ends of the table. Sometimes people just don't think when choosing their places.

if someone sits at an unmade table or even a dirty table (!) i think it's the hotel/restaurant mentality. as long as no one is sitting there, if they like the look of that spot they sit down. if it's not much trouble to scoot the things over to them, i did. i also would them sit at a place i'd set up for a bigger group because some of the tables here have the best harbor view and first down to breakfast really should get the table they like.
when i just had one couple here one morning, i heard them coming down so i put their fruit cups at their places. they sat at a different table because they thought those belonged to other guests.
wink_smile.gif
i had also put all the jams, etc. on that one table so i said 'good morning! i have this table all set for you.' they laughed and moved over.

In the Sun Room in the summer we have two tables that seat 4 & 5 respectively. If I have two couples I will seat them at separate tables. Somestimes they move their settings to the one table. In the colder weather we are in the dining room and it is just one long table that can seat 8 to 10. Never had a complaint..
JeannineIrish said:
In the Sun Room in the summer we have two tables that seat 4 & 5 respectively. If I have two couples I will seat them at separate tables. Somestimes they move their settings to the one table. In the colder weather we are in the dining room and it is just one long table that can seat 8 to 10. Never had a complaint.
So, do you actually 'seat' the guests? ie- point them to a table and say, 'Sit here.'
I tell guests to 'have a seat' and let them sort it out. It does leave a LOT to chance as many will sit themselves where it is almost obvious they don't belong. 1 person will sit at a table for 4 instead of a table for 2 or 3 guests will sit at a table for 2 and pull a chair from a table set for 2 which now can't seat 2. That sort of thing.
Some guests will decide to sit as a group and pull the tables around. That doesn't work because the floor is crooked so all the tables are sited 'perfectly' for ONE location. They move the tables and then gasp when the table wobbles all over and coffee sloshes everywhere.
I've had guests pull up a chair so it is literally back to back with another chair and not a single one of them considers that no one can move now. I cannot deliver food, other guests cannot leave their tables. And there they sit, oblivious or rude, take your pick.
Oh goosh no. I don't tell them where to sit. If there are two couples I just set two places at each of the tables and the first ones down get to pick where they want to sit and the others will sit at the other table. It is only if I have a family of three or four where I have set one of the tables accordingly and the other with 2 places and I will ask the the two person group if they come down first if they would mind sitting at the two place table because the other table is set for the larger group.
Once we move into the dining room for the colder months there is just one table and only occassionally will I have to ask people to sit in a particular seat so that two people that have come together don't end up at opposite ends of the table. Sometimes people just don't think when choosing their places.
JeannineIrish said:
When my best friend and her friend were here I told them that they were sharing the house with two couples. Sure enough, when the first couple came out and my friends sat down, they'd left a chair at each end of the table for the other couple. Argh!
Of course, the other couple pulled a no show for breakfast... their loss!!!
And, generally, first down gets first pick on where to sit...
=)
Kk.

We sit 8 at one table. We have breakfast between 8:30 and 9:30 (so they ALL don't come down at the same time)
We are lucky to have a big dining room.
Most guests get to know each other, and are talking and laughing in there until 11:00 a.m. (DH and I are itching to get the table cleaned up and the plates in the dishwasher). But we just have to wait. They are all enjoying themselves.
But we do have some very "shy" guests who come down for breakfast. You usually know who they are. I just bring them into the dining room, introduce them to the guests already seated, crack a joke or two, and then they feel welcome.

Back