You've heard this before ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
regular_smile.gif
IF i pass the drug test and the criminal background check and whatever else check, then i have this job.
do you know anyone who works for bank of a? it is incredible what info they demand as you go through the application process.
as i went through a local store, i was wondering about all those employees who when they applied had to say yes, they could stand on their feet 100% of the work time, and lift 70 pounds alone, and climb up and down ladders, and submit to a background check and a drug test (and in some cases a credit check!), i found myself amazed. and i started to wonder if this accounts for some of the surly attitudes by store employees because they've been through so much just to get hired.
maybe this is becoming just part of the process. i mentioned it to my kids and they weren't surprised. but it's all new to me..
I worked for a large bank years ago. Not B of A, but yes went through the whole rigamaro.
It was the only time I ever did a drug test. And I did it then because I'd gone all the way through 3 series of interviews, a big presentation, and had gotten to the offer stage before I found out about it. I knew I'd pass but still did not like the whole idea of it. If I'd known upfront it would be done, I probably wouldn't have applied.
But banks do have a whole different level of exposure and the criminal background check is necessary. Not that I think the banks are doing a good job these days protecting depositor money, but that's a whole different issue. On a very basic level, though, it's important that the person who has access to lots and lots of financial information all day long has been cleared. The drug test is ridiculous but almost all of the big corporations do them now. I do not like the idea at all and never have.
As for the employee attitudes, I actually think it has the opposite effect. I think that they miss out on a lot of people who are like me and don't think anyone needs to look through my body waste to know whether or not I'm going to be a good employee. I think they'd get better employees if they recognized that reality. These days, though, it's a tough market out there so a lot more folks are willing to do things they wouldn't necessarily do otherwise.
IMHO
Innkeeper To Go said:
The drug test is ridiculous but almost all of the big corporations do them now. I do not like the idea at all and never have.
I wish my 71 year-old stepdad's employer would have done drug testing, maybe their cocaine-addled shuttle driver would not have creamed him in the parking lot, saving us all alot of pain and agony. Sad thing is, they hired this guy to drive customers around, but never did so much as a background check, or they would have found that he did the same thing at his previous job. Prior record, cocaine in his bloodstream at the time of the accident, and yet the folks are having a very hard time holding either him or the employer as responsible.

regular_smile.gif
IF i pass the drug test and the criminal background check and whatever else check, then i have this job.
do you know anyone who works for bank of a? it is incredible what info they demand as you go through the application process.
as i went through a local store, i was wondering about all those employees who when they applied had to say yes, they could stand on their feet 100% of the work time, and lift 70 pounds alone, and climb up and down ladders, and submit to a background check and a drug test (and in some cases a credit check!), i found myself amazed. and i started to wonder if this accounts for some of the surly attitudes by store employees because they've been through so much just to get hired.
maybe this is becoming just part of the process. i mentioned it to my kids and they weren't surprised. but it's all new to me..
I worked for a large bank years ago. Not B of A, but yes went through the whole rigamaro.
It was the only time I ever did a drug test. And I did it then because I'd gone all the way through 3 series of interviews, a big presentation, and had gotten to the offer stage before I found out about it. I knew I'd pass but still did not like the whole idea of it. If I'd known upfront it would be done, I probably wouldn't have applied.
But banks do have a whole different level of exposure and the criminal background check is necessary. Not that I think the banks are doing a good job these days protecting depositor money, but that's a whole different issue. On a very basic level, though, it's important that the person who has access to lots and lots of financial information all day long has been cleared. The drug test is ridiculous but almost all of the big corporations do them now. I do not like the idea at all and never have.
As for the employee attitudes, I actually think it has the opposite effect. I think that they miss out on a lot of people who are like me and don't think anyone needs to look through my body waste to know whether or not I'm going to be a good employee. I think they'd get better employees if they recognized that reality. These days, though, it's a tough market out there so a lot more folks are willing to do things they wouldn't necessarily do otherwise.
IMHO
Innkeeper To Go said:
The drug test is ridiculous but almost all of the big corporations do them now. I do not like the idea at all and never have.
I wish my 71 year-old stepdad's employer would have done drug testing, maybe their cocaine-addled shuttle driver would not have creamed him in the parking lot, saving us all alot of pain and agony. Sad thing is, they hired this guy to drive customers around, but never did so much as a background check, or they would have found that he did the same thing at his previous job. Prior record, cocaine in his bloodstream at the time of the accident, and yet the folks are having a very hard time holding either him or the employer as responsible.
What my friend calls the "pee test" has been around for a long time and not just with large corporations. Those of you who are insulted by this test are because you do not use drugs - but there are many, many people who ARE taking drugs of some kind because it is hip or they got hooked, people you would never think of as doing it. And yes, pot is a drug!
School bus drivers MUST be clean. People wotking around heavy equipment, miners, and yes, people working in banks. Why banks? Because they are the ones punching in the numbers with my deposits and withdrawals and one figure done incorrectly will definitely affect my financial well-beeing. Mistakes CAN be made under normal circumstances, but are nore likely to happen when "under the influence" - and I count booze in this as well.
How is a person - or employer - to protect himself? Too many looking for a "crutch" these days and finging it in a bottle - either booze or pills. When I found out the effect of cigarettes on me - and I am not even talking about tar & nicotine - it MADE ME DIZZY! I was told that would go away after a while but I said if I want to be dizzy I can just turn myself aorund and around to get dizzy and never touched another cigarette.
I objected to the check out my family because I do not have a right to put them under scruteny. And how much I am willing to undergo depends on the job and the responsibilities that job entails.

little blue - i am so very sorry.
kathleen, i understand.
this is just all new to me and i don't like it. i especially don't like giving my ssn number at the BEGINNING as part of the application process instead of when hired or at least as a condition of employment.
as far as the pee test goes, friends and relatives were telling me i take so much advil i'd probably test positive for the chemical in weed/pot. and not to use cough medicine, blah blah blah and that i'd likely be given a questionnaire asking what meds i took blah blah. no questionnaire and an overworked lab tech flying solo with an attitude ... we'll see.

kathleen, i understand.
this is just all new to me and i don't like it. i especially don't like giving my ssn number at the BEGINNING as part of the application process instead of when hired or at least as a condition of employment.
as far as the pee test goes, friends and relatives were telling me i take so much advil i'd probably test positive for the chemical in weed/pot. and not to use cough medicine, blah blah blah and that i'd likely be given a questionnaire asking what meds i took blah blah. no questionnaire and an overworked lab tech flying solo with an attitude ... we'll see..
Also, don't eat anything with poppy seeds, it will show up as an opiate!

kathleen, i understand.
as far as the pee test goes, friends and relatives were telling me i take so much advil i'd probably test positive for the chemical in weed/pot. and not to use cough medicine, blah blah blah and that i'd likely be given a questionnaire asking what meds i took blah blah. no questionnaire and an overworked lab tech flying solo with an attitude ... we'll see..
SS, I have a feeling you'll pass your test with flying colors. While the lab tests are not as reliable as they should be and there are plenty of stories of simple over-the-counter products causing problems, I honestly believe the vast majority of those to be just stories. The level of testing they do at pre-hire is very different testing than say if someone had been driving and had an accident.
A little known fact is that many employers who do test don't even test for pot because the test itself is too expensive and they don't want to eliminate a big portion of the population. They test for hard drugs. Really.
You'll do fine, I think, even with Advil or cold medicine in your system. Poppy seed muffins? I'd stay away from those for a few days.
BTW, I agree with LB that folks who are driving other people around for a living have a whole different level of hoops they should jump through. I'm not opposed to testing airline pilots either.
That SS number thing? Yes, it's to do the background and the credit check so they can eliminate candidates who won't work out right away. Sounds like you are on your way, though, since you've gotten this far.

regular_smile.gif
IMHO
Because we live in a rural location in a county that is depressed, there is a lot of meth use amongst the locals. Last summer I went to the temp employment agency to get some seasonal help since I didn't want to be the employer. My only qualifications were that they pass a background check and drug test. There is too much temptation at B&B for casual help to "lift" guest credit card numbers or personal items from a guest room when cleaning/freshening. My first priority has to be the safety of my guests, so I feel it necessary for the background & drug tests. Believe it or not, they couldn't find a single person who "qualified" to work here. Not only do I live in a state which has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, but my county also has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state.
It's a shame.

kathleen, i understand.
SS, I have a feeling you'll pass your test with flying colors. While the lab tests are not as reliable as they should be and there are plenty of stories of simple over-the-counter products causing problems, I honestly believe the vast majority of those to be just stories. The level of testing they do at pre-hire is very different testing than say if someone had been driving and had an accident.
A little known fact is that many employers who do test don't even test for pot because the test itself is too expensive and they don't want to eliminate a big portion of the population. They test for hard drugs. Really.
You'll do fine, I think, even with Advil or cold medicine in your system. Poppy seed muffins? I'd stay away from those for a few days.
BTW, I agree with LB that folks who are driving other people around for a living have a whole different level of hoops they should jump through. I'm not opposed to testing airline pilots either.
That SS number thing? Yes, it's to do the background and the credit check so they can eliminate candidates who won't work out right away. Sounds like you are on your way, though, since you've gotten this far.
You can always block your credit info while job-searching by putting a block on the info online. When I applied for my last job, I crossed out the section that allowed them to do a credit check and wrote instead that I did not approve their using my SSN to do a credit check.
Like I said earlier, I'll never work for someone else again.

kathleen, i understand.
One of my latgest gripes is how the supposedly SECRET, PERSONAL NUMBER has become such a required piece of info to GOD & everyone.
Ctedit card? Bank account? Rent an apartment? AND your DOB. Now all the info needed to move your bank accounts, pension checks etc has been provided to antone who can get your account numbers and they can do it by PHONE OR ONLINE!!!!! Scary? You bet! I did all that for my aunt by phone in 1995!

kathleen, i understand.
One of my latgest gripes is how the supposedly SECRET, PERSONAL NUMBER has become such a required piece of info to GOD & everyone.
Ctedit card? Bank account? Rent an apartment? AND your DOB. Now all the info needed to move your bank accounts, pension checks etc has been provided to antone who can get your account numbers and they can do it by PHONE OR ONLINE!!!!! Scary? You bet! I did all that for my aunt by phone in 1995!
I couldn't agree more, Kathleen. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any going back now.

Back